Charger Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's kind of like an average-looking guy walking up to a lady and saying "I'm a 10 so you should go out with me." Only nobody will be impressed by the bluff, charm and bravado. They'll just shake their heads in pity.
It's more like stuffing a sock in your speedo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You would do far better to install decent brakes on the car - the SE/SXT have very small rotors and single piston calipers that are really only good for ONE hard stop, then they fade quickly. Eventually the rotors will build up sticky spots from the pads due to the excess heat created by having too small a rotor. They will get really "grabby" in spots and make you think the rotors are warped (if you have dark spots on the rotors-"cementite"- then they are junk and need to be replaced anyway). The easiest cheapest way is to put the front rotors & calipers off an RT on the car, they bolt right on and make a huge difference (you can upgrade the rears later). Just go to any parts house and tell them you want the rotors & calipers (and caliper brackets) for a 2014 RT with 5.7 V8 - NEVER mention anything about a V6 or they will give you the same parts you already have.

The Se/SXT brakes are known as the BR3, the RT brakes are the BR5, and the police brakes are the BR9 (parts for the BR9 swap are very hard to find and expensive)

I have two 2016 V6's (SXT+ and a Rallye) and the first upgrade I did to both was to replace the brakes on both - the wife's Rallye has RT/BR5 brakes all around, and my SXT+ has the huge police/BR9 brakes.
You are absolutely right. The stock V6 single piston front brakes are lethargic at best and downright dangerous at worst. Brake fade is a huge problem and brake shudder occurs even during daily commutes. I swapped all four corners with a Power Stop Z23 kit for an R/T. That has been, bar none, the best modification I have done to this car. Better than my stereo upgrade and 12" sub. The braking confidence and predictably is astounding. It should be a crime for Dodge to put single piston front brakes on these cars.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
You are absolutely right. The stock V6 single piston front brakes are lethargic at best and downright dangerous at worst. Brake fade is a huge problem and brake shudder occurs even during daily commutes. I swapped all four corners with a Power Stop Z23 kit for an R/T. That has been, bar none, the best modification I have done to this car. Better than my stereo upgrade and 12" sub. The braking confidence and predictably is astounding. It should be a crime for Dodge to put single piston front brakes on these cars.
Now get rid of those Z23 pads - I use Raybestos EHT ("Enhanced Hybrid Technology") on three of my four cars - they grip like crazy when cold and hot, unlike the Powerstop pads which are scary when cold- I nearly ran into the back of cars several times with the Z23's on my 2013 SE with the RT upgrade. I would use them on all four cars except they don't make them for the BR9 Police Package that I have on my car (I use Performance Friction pads with those).

Strangely, the pads in the picture came with the paperwork for Hawk HP pads... both are made in China and are likely the same pad using different names... no matter they work great.

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts