Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have a 2014 SXT Plus and wanted help in getting a ghost cam tune set up on it. Any ideas?
A "ghost cam"? Isn't that the poser trick that some Mustang guys do to make their cars pollute more and idle badly so that people who don't know any better think they have an old-school, long-duration cam?

I've never heard of anyone trying that on a Pentastar.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A "ghost cam"? Isn't that the poser trick that some Mustang guys do to make their cars pollute more and idle badly so that people who don't know any better think they have an old-school, long-duration cam?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

Based on that YouTube video, yes.

Based on the mustangs I've seen with them, also yes.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,217 Posts
Respecting the 6 is kinda hard when it is posing with one of the stupidest new automotive shit I have seen today.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
That is assinine and has got to be no good for the warranty or longevity of the engine... take a HARD PASS

·
Registered
2013 Charger RT Road and Track
302 Posts
Sorry but if you want a V6 to sound like a cammed V8 then buy a V8 that thing sounds so bad. Probably straight piped. Then we wonder why the epa is going after all the performance mods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is assinine and has got to be no good for the warranty or longevity of the engine... take a HARD PASS
aye right
Sorry but if you want a V6 to sound like a cammed V8 then buy a V8 that thing sounds so bad. Probably straight piped. Then we wonder why the epa is going after all the performance mods.
I was gonna trade in and get a scat pack but i’m only 17 and can barely afford the insurance on a v8

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
And having a teenager driving around in a V8 charger is just a precursor to peeling that person off the pavement after they get WAY over their skis showing off and join Team Darwin. And besides, if you can't afford the insurance, you DEFINITELY can't afford the gas (and the tickets).

It's like that old addage for people that talk about buying a Ferrari and want to start out with a used one. If you can't afford a new one, you DEFINITELY can't afford to maintain a used one. :)

Best,

Reactions: weaselsmopar

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,217 Posts
aye right

I was gonna trade in and get a scat pack but i’m only 17 and can barely afford the insurance on a v8
How much and how long do you wish to be in debt just to be cool? The V6 is not that bad of a car and will do more for you in long run to get you where you need.

I did t gety first V8 until 28+. But then again I bought mine along with a house as well.

·
Registered
348 Posts
And having a teenager driving around in a V8 charger is just a precursor to peeling that person off the pavement after they get WAY over their skis showing off and join Team Darwin. And besides, if you can't afford the insurance, you DEFINITELY can't afford the gas (and the tickets).

It's like that old addage for people that talk about buying a Ferrari and want to start out with a used one. If you can't afford a new one, you DEFINITELY can't afford to maintain a used one. :)

Best,
They say the most expensive car is the cheapest Ferarri/Porsche/Lambo/etc you can find.

·
Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
2,429 Posts
THAT........is got to be one of the most horrible sounding things I've ever heard. Even my dog didn't like it.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
THAT........is got to be one of the most horrible sounding things I've ever heard. Even my dog didn't like it.
That's what a sewing machine sounds like after a couple of burritos. It's laughable what kids these days think is "cool".

• Haha
Reactions: HemiLonestar

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the background of why this is even tempting. It's easy for some of us old farts to say "just spend money" when it's someone else's wallet.

That said, my honest perspective is: don't do it. But I have a reason.

You're going to draw attention. But it'll be bad attention. When I hear a loud car, I look at it. If it's loud because it's a powerful car, that's obvious because the car is accelerating quickly. Doesn't matter if it's a fart-can ricer, a billion-RPM Italian supercar, or a massive displacement engine with a supercharger. Loud + fast = impressive. But... loud + slow is just... embarrassing. Even if you like the sound this mod makes... it's a sound that says "look at me, I'm not fast". It's kind of like an average-looking guy walking up to a lady and saying "I'm a 10 so you should go out with me." Only nobody will be impressed by the bluff, charm and bravado. They'll just shake their heads in pity.

If you want to mod your car I'd recommend appearance mods. Not crappy obvious bolt-ons like fake vents and scoops. Pick something genuine but that you like the look of. Like perhaps vinyl graphics. Or a bit nicer wheels. Stuff within whatever your budget is, but looks nice (to you). Because appearance always looks nice (unless it's trashy to start with) no matter how fast you're (not) going. Even in a parking lot, we can all appreciate a nice car.

That's my thought. Maybe's it's useful. Maybe it's not. Your car, your life, your lesson to learn. Best of luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cool. Thanks for the background of why this is even tempting. It's easy for some of us old farts to say "just spend money" when it's someone else's wallet.

That said, my honest perspective is: don't do it. But I have a reason.

You're going to draw attention. But it'll be bad attention. When I hear a loud car, I look at it. If it's loud because it's a powerful car, that's obvious because the car is accelerating quickly. Doesn't matter if it's a fart-can ricer, a billion-RPM Italian supercar, or a massive displacement engine with a supercharger. Loud + fast = impressive. But... loud + slow is just... embarrassing. Even if you like the sound this mod makes... it's a sound that says "look at me, I'm not fast". It's kind of like an average-looking guy walking up to a lady and saying "I'm a 10 so you should go out with me." Only nobody will be impressed by the bluff, charm and bravado. They'll just shake their heads in pity.

If you want to mod your car I'd recommend appearance mods. Not crappy obvious bolt-ons like fake vents and scoops. Pick something genuine but that you like the look of. Like perhaps vinyl graphics. Or a bit nicer wheels. Stuff within whatever your budget is, but looks nice (to you). Because appearance always looks nice (unless it's trashy to start with) no matter how fast you're (not) going. Even in a parking lot, we can all appreciate a nice car.

That's my thought. Maybe's it's useful. Maybe it's not. Your car, your life, your lesson to learn. Best of luck.
You know what thank you i’m defenitley not doing it 😂

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
You would do far better to install decent brakes on the car - the SE/SXT have very small rotors and single piston calipers that are really only good for ONE hard stop, then they fade quickly. Eventually the rotors will build up sticky spots from the pads due to the excess heat created by having too small a rotor. They will get really "grabby" in spots and make you think the rotors are warped (if you have dark spots on the rotors-"cementite"- then they are junk and need to be replaced anyway). The easiest cheapest way is to put the front rotors & calipers off an RT on the car, they bolt right on and make a huge difference (you can upgrade the rears later). Just go to any parts house and tell them you want the rotors & calipers (and caliper brackets) for a 2014 RT with 5.7 V8 - NEVER mention anything about a V6 or they will give you the same parts you already have.

The Se/SXT brakes are known as the BR3, the RT brakes are the BR5, and the police brakes are the BR9 (parts for the BR9 swap are very hard to find and expensive)

I have two 2016 V6's (SXT+ and a Rallye) and the first upgrade I did to both was to replace the brakes on both - the wife's Rallye has RT/BR5 brakes all around, and my SXT+ has the huge police/BR9 brakes.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts