Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got the box around 2pm. I was actually putting the car on the ramps and jackstands when Mr. Fedex arrived.

So...sheet out on the floor, open and inspect each part...fantastic craftsmanship! It moved :lol:

So, phones are ringing in my home office, I delay the start to take care of some stuff and begin to read the instructions. Yeah, actually opened to read them, when I realized Ron put Tundra instructions in my kit. I called him, great guy, emailed me the charger instructions.

Finally got a free 45 minutes after dinner to zawsaw the exhaust about 6" behind the x-pipe as instructed...not too hard, just lose leverage at the end.

Got tail pipe and tips out of the hangers, then had one set left. I opted not to dissassemble, but rather, pull the whole unit as one. So...I wrestled on the rubber hangers immediately behind the suitcase until they finally came free - and then I realized the whole thing was falling on me. Whomp! :cry:

I knew it was coming, just didn't give much credence to 50 lbs of poking metal.

Well, now we've got company coming and I hate to assemble with a rush. I don't think it will take me more than an hour to put it together.

The only BIOTCH right now is the one piece that fits over the muffler is so freaking tight it won't slip into it. I will try adding some heat to it later tonight or early tomorrow to put them together. If that doesn't work I'll head to a muffler shop for a bit more expansion in the flanged end.

BTW, didn't take any pics since I was rushed...I will. I did however, fire it up....whoa....OBNOXIOUS! :headbang: :knockout:

More to come....no rush, just getting it done right. :)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
It still isn't too late to take some pictures. :) I'd like to hear some sound clips too :)

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will be coming. I tried to heat and force the mufflers into the flanged pipe....they are simply not going in. So...I'll call my local exhaust shop at 8am and see if they can give me a quick hand. We'll see....a bit aggravating, but I understand wanting the closest tolerances to mitigate exhaust leak.

Sooooo freaking close.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Were you planning on welding or just clamping the Zoomers on? If you were just going to clamp them, maybe you should have the exhaust place weld them on for you to prevent any leaks. A few people have had some funny noise from clamped installs. My $0.02.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning on having them welded after I got it in place. Reality is - this morning went over to my local speed shop that does custom exhaust to have two pieces flanged a bit more so I could fit them over the mufflers. Worked, but when I came home to finish assembly found that the pieces in front of the muffler were too tight for the existing exhaust pipe to fit into.

With that and the fact that the clamps really need an impact wrench hitting them...I called it quits. Called the exhaust shop up and am taking the car over tomorrow. Left the tips and back end hanging on the hangers...looks nice...SOUNDS LOUD!!!

Pretty dissappointing, but the lesson is learned. If this was not stainless steel pipe, I could muscle it....DON'T try to install zoomers by yourself on jackstands and ramps...just not enough clearance to get the leverage on the clamps. Time for another shower. I'll take the car over later today and drop it off...maybe they can get it done yet today since it really is a 20 minute job from here...just MUCH easier on a lift and with professional tools.

DJ

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I was planning on having them welded after I got it in place. Reality is - this morning went over to my local speed shop that does custom exhaust to have two pieces flanged a bit more so I could fit them over the mufflers. Worked, but when I came home to finish assembly found that the pieces in front of the muffler were too tight for the existing exhaust pipe to fit into.

With that and the fact that the clamps really need an impact wrench hitting them...I called it quits. Called the exhaust shop up and am taking the car over tomorrow. Left the tips and back end hanging on the hangers...looks nice...SOUNDS LOUD!!!

Pretty dissappointing, but the lesson is learned. If this was not stainless steel pipe, I could muscle it....DON'T try to install zoomers by yourself on jackstands and ramps...just not enough clearance to get the leverage on the clamps. Time for another shower. I'll take the car over later today and drop it off...maybe they can get it done yet today since it really is a 20 minute job from here...just MUCH easier on a lift and with professional tools.

DJ
Congrats on the cat back. They sound awesome don't they...

First I heard of someone having issues with fitment. And why an impact wrench on the clamps? You certianly do not want to overtighten those. You could damage/crush the tubing. Curious, but don't the instructions have a max. torque callout for the clamps?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from the instructions:

"An Impact is recommended to properly tighten all clamps."

I know why now...tightening onto stainless is tough to crush them....
Just dropped the car off at the local speedshop...good guys.

Can't wait for the call to pick them up. Driving the 2.9 miles to the shop was fun...open country road....ON THE THROTTLE !! Holy smokes it's loud. The guys with the cutouts must freaking love that....for a while. :)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
from the instructions:

"An Impact is recommended to properly tighten all clamps."

I know why now...tightening onto stainless is tough to crush them....
Just dropped the car off at the local speedshop...good guys.

Can't wait for the call to pick them up. Driving the 2.9 miles to the shop was fun...open country road....ON THE THROTTLE !! Holy smokes it's loud. The guys with the cutouts must freaking love that....for a while. :)

Well, now I know. Thanks........

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped the car off at 3:10pm, they called me at 4pm that it was done. Drove it on the highway in D, in stick, on backroads in D and Stick...NO DRONE.

For the first time in my life though....I actually heard the MDS kick in. Not offensive, just dropped a couple notes. I'll have to try turning the MDS off now with the DIABLO just to make sure that's what I heard.

Great install....$73.67, plus made some new friends at this shop. They have a few dirt track cars, camaro, monte carlo, etc... The one guy had a tubbed z28 but low on HP's. Wants to race...the owner told him he had no chance with his 300hp car against mine. Funny!

Might adjust the height of the tips, they are dead square centered and evenly spaced in comparison with one another. He clamped and welded. Told me to come in after 1000 miles and some heat expansion so he could get a wrench and weld as necessary.

They were VERY impressed with the stainless steel pipe and quality of construction. This is a Magnaflow and custom pipe shop...so pretty cool to hear.

Pics and the like will come after I get cleaned up and get some dinner.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Zoomers is by far one of the hardest DIY Exhausts available for the chargers, however in the same token as you mentioned... It has a great sound and no Drone!

Congrats on the Install and Purchase

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, stainless is a bit tough to work with unless you have the right tools. Great looking and sounding set up...VERY Pleased. Need to figure out how to raise the tips closer to the bumper though. Anyone know where to start?

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
For the first time in my life though....I actually heard the MDS kick in. Not offensive, just dropped a couple notes. I'll have to try turning the MDS off now with the DIABLO just to make sure that's what I heard.

Please:rolleyes:
Just autostick it for a while to see if it was MDS.

·
Registered
338 Posts
+1 on the pix and video as I love the fact that there is no drone...

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pics and vid tomorrow...I promise.

BTW, I'd say this is actually about 20-30% quieter than the resonators off. The note is a bit lower at idle to 2,500 rpm, then it gets higher at higher rpms....than the reso's delete mode.

Mikey - I'll be autosticking a lot. Keep resetting the TCM and then getting some spirited driving since I'm hitting the track more regularly. Seems that my times at the track get better because the tranny bangs harder and puts out more....reminds me of an old college girlfriend. :)

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Congrats on the Zoomers! Sorry I can't help with the adjustment, but PM Ron (aperformance) and I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best $$$$ spent so far......gotta love the sound of ZOOMERS!!!

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys...I've been busy and never got a chance to get the video, maybe later. Here are a few pics!

IMG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/PaChargerForums/P1010022.jpg[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts