Registered
6,915 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RitzRT

Thanks RitzRT for your professional reply , may I ask more questions

- How much it cost approximately and what is the best fluid on the market since I found different fluid brands for this gearbox

Many thanks

·
Registered
6,915 Posts

- How much it cost approximately and what is the best fluid on the market since I found different fluid brands for this gearbox

Many thanks
It takes ZF LifeGuard 8 fluid. MOPAR has their own re-branded version. It's pretty expensive at around $30/quart. Also, the filter is part of the actual transmission pan so you have to replace the pan as well. That alone costs a bit over $200 at Rockauto. On top of that, the process to check the fluid level is somewhat time consuming. So just in parts and fluid, you're near $500. If you're paying someone else to do it, I'd expect to pay 700-800 bucks all together.

So...2 of these:

Plus whatever filter is suitable for your car. For my scatpack, it would be this one:

MOPAR 68261170AA (available for $215 at Rockauto)

To get an idea of what a pain in the rump it is to check the fluid level, here's a handy explanation:

Best,

Reactions: Excoastie

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Seems like a poor design. what ever happened to the dipstick check?
Agreed. Having that thermostat/valve diverting fluid back to the trans until it's hot certainly complicates things as well.

Best,

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts

Many thanks
Here is what you need to know. We make the best fluids for these vehicles:

https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303257

You don't need to spend $30.00+ for the OEM ZF Fluids when you have a QuantumBlue Racing ZF 8 speed ATF that has 200 degrees hotter temperature resistance to break down and more robust friction modifiers for these units. We also provide the OEM Filtran, bolts, pipe plug and gasket for 10% over cost!

Give us a call and we can get you the correct materials.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Forum Vendor for 10 years!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Here is what you need to know. We make the best fluids for these vehicles:

https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303257

You don't need to spend $30.00+ for the OEM ZF Fluids when you have a QuantumBlue Racing ZF 8 speed ATF that has 200 degrees hotter temperature resistance to break down and more robust friction modifiers for these units. We also provide the OEM Filtran, bolts, pipe plug and gasket for 10% over cost!

Give us a call and we can get you the correct materials.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
I'll be touching base with you when summer gets here on this topic for both the 2015 SXT and 2013 SRT. :beerchug:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Agreed. Having that thermostat/valve diverting fluid back to the trans until it's hot certainly complicates things as well.

Best,
So, something I've been thinking about since reading that the fluid should be changed occasionally. NOT getting into the how often or kind, etc....
Most people do not have access to an actual lift to get the vehicle level - and off wheels - so the fluid level can be set after pan/filter replacement.

So the thought I had was getting a fitting with the correct thread and a barb on the other end. Clear vinyl hose can be attached, and interface to transmission can observed from top of car, and fluid can be filled / extracted after driving and bringing to valve open temp, and then rechecked after cool down. Outside of thread to inner opening of fitting only is a couple mm, so difference in fluid level would be insignificant. When happy about level, car up on ramps again, and if you are careful, you would only lose a little fluid during the swap.

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts
So, something I've been thinking about since reading that the fluid should be changed occasionally. NOT getting into the how often or kind, etc....
Most people do not have access to an actual lift to get the vehicle level - and off wheels - so the fluid level can be set after pan/filter replacement.

So the thought I had was getting a fitting with the correct thread and a barb on the other end. Clear vinyl hose can be attached, and interface to transmission can observed from top of car, and fluid can be filled / extracted after driving and bringing to valve open temp, and then rechecked after cool down. Outside of thread to inner opening of fitting only is a couple mm, so difference in fluid level would be insignificant. When happy about level, car up on ramps again, and if you are careful, you would only lose a little fluid during the swap.
The problem is that the magnets get full of shavings in the pan and the filtran filter needs to be replaced as the inlet is very small as you have seen from the pictures.

Best to get the pan replaced after you drain the fluid and replace it with good clean ATF.

These units are not something to play with especially if there is a warranty problem and the magnets are full with the inlet clogged!

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
824 Posts
Why...I'm sure Jiffy Lube will have this done correctly , for $69, while I wait in waiting room...Right !
The alternative being $1,200 at a dealer when the time comes because I - and most others - don't have a lift available? Despite what FCA says about it being lifetime, there's a bunch of info out there - including from ZF - that sooner is better. Getting creative seems OK as long as it achieves the proper end result, which is in this case, a correct fill level.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I changed the fluid in my 2016 8HP45 on 11/09/17 at 15,150 miles in my garage with the car up on jack stands and it was easy. There was a lot more crud on the magnets than I expected, but the fluid was clean (looked like green tea and had the same consistency). Checking the fluid level, while not as easy as using a dipstick, is also not difficult. I got the pan and fluid from Brian (BND) for about $250 and it has been flawless for 7,500 miles so far.

Changing the fluid in the NAG1 in my old 2013 was not any easier, in fact it was fairly messy due to the lack of a drain plug in the pan.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have also changed the trans fluid in the garage on jack stands, so I would think something like this could also be done that way as well. Of course, a lift would make it way easier.

I watched the video. Several things bothered me about the whole procedure. One, that little allen bolt they use for a fill hole plug is pretty dang close to the exhaust. Looks like one could get burned while doing this thing with a warmed up car. And two, seems like as expensive as this fluid is, the procedure seems like it wastes some during the "warm up the fluid and let it drain out till it stops" step.

At the end of the video I thought I'd just get it done at the dealer rather than attempting it myself. (If I ever needed it done, that is) I've only got three thousand miles on it now, so it will be a while.

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts
I'll be touching base with you when summer gets here on this topic for both the 2015 SXT and 2013 SRT. :beerchug:
Great Stevens12!

Look forward to getting that done for both your cars.

Thanks for the update!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
That train is never late.

I'm not sure I'd be rolling the dice on mystery fluid for my very expensive transmission. I'd stick with ZF's fluid, Mopar equivalent, or a commercial fluid that is compatible (in writing) with LifeGuard 8.

Brian, are you willing to reimburse costs to customers who have to sue if they are denied a warranty claim on a transmission issue if they use your fluid? Or will you just have it repaired at your expense?

Best,

·
Registered
824 Posts
The problem is that the magnets get full of shavings in the pan and the filtran filter needs to be replaced as the inlet is very small as you have seen from the pictures....

Best to get the pan replaced after you drain the fluid and replace it with good clean ATF....

These units are not something to play with especially if there is a warranty problem and the magnets are full with the inlet clogged!...
Not sure why you said that. I was in no way suggesting that the pan / filter NOT be replaced... "......so the fluid level can be set after pan/filter replacement....."
I was just suggesting a possible way to help with getting the fluid level right... after.

It seems reasonable that the Filtran can be swapped from under the vehicle using normal driveway techniques. The approximate amount of fluid drained during that process can be put back in initially, then the vehicle can be driven - wheels on ground - to take it through the shift to second, while the temp is still within range, followed by another level check from above. Then drive it until bypass opens, like it says in book. Cooldown to correct temp, and final level check. Then up on ramps to get threaded barb out, and plug back in.
Just seems like a major PITA without access to a lift to get the vehicle up high enough and level so you can get under it to drain, replace Filtran, refill. Then get it so that that the wheels can rotate so it reaches second. Then a level re-check. Then run it until bypass valve opens to account for cooler volume.

What I'm thinking is that it can be done with ramps since it doesn't have to be level while underside access is happening. Fluid level is checked / adjusted with four on the ground, and when you are happy, up the ramp again to pull fitting with barb, and put real plug in Maybe lose a little fluid at that point, maybe not.

·
Vendor
10,382 Posts
That train is never late.

I'm not sure I'd be rolling the dice on mystery fluid for my very expensive transmission. I'd stick with ZF's fluid, Mopar equivalent, or a commercial fluid that is compatible (in writing) with LifeGuard 8.

Brian, are you willing to reimburse costs to customers who have to sue if they are denied a warranty claim on a transmission issue if they use your fluid? Or will you just have it repaired at your expense?

Best,
This is a BS Scare tactic Ritz and I thought better of you than this kind of subterfuge! There has NOT been one failure of any component of any system we have ever made a fluid for PERIOD!

No warranty claims ever on a transmission or anything else for that matter! Show me ONE Failure Ritz.......there isn't any.

Our fluids are of premium quality and exceed by far the ZF Lifeguard or off the shelf fluids that state compatibility.

This is what our customers REALLY say about our transmission fluids:

https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340466

And about all our other products:

http://bndautomotive.com/testimonials/

And you claim I scare people! Sheesh.

Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 20 of 90 Posts