Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your 1st impression of the Charger when you saw one in person the first time? Stories?

Heres mine:

I heard that the Charger was coming out but never thought of buying one.......

My parents had a 99 Olds Alero. One day it died on them right in front of a Toyota Dealership in an Autoplex! My mother called me and said that she had enough, could I come down to the dealership and assist them with there choice! They bought a loaded 2005 Corolla S. (Nice car, but slow!) :yawn:

While waiting for her car to be cleaned up, I saw a Toyota X-Runner and though it was a cool looking truck. The following weekend, I wanted to show the X-Runner to a buddy of mine, so we drove down to the Toyota Dealership.

I never had noticed, but the Toyota dealership was right across the street from Tempe Dodge!

THERE SHE WAS! RIGHT OUT FRONT! A red 2006 HEMI Charger! :)

I was INSTANTLY in love! :love: :love:

The Dodge dealership was closed, so I only got an outside view of the car! I LOVED how the front end looked and that fact that it had a HEMI!

2 weeks later, my wifes WRX had to go in for service. While at Enterprise Rental, we saw that they JUST got in a Chrysler 300 3.5 Touring Edition. I said, "I have always wanted to test drive one", so we rented it! I was INSTANTLY in love with the cars ride, interior and overall feel!

The following week, I said to my wife "Lets go down to the Dodge dealership and check out a Charger in person" I said "we liked to ride and feel of the 300 so lets see what the Charger has to offer?"

When we pulled into the Dodge dealership, in her WRX, a salesmen greeted us. He said "Hey, thats a nice WRX, where did you purchase it?" We said "We got it at Camelback Subaru in early May" He said, "thats funny, my wife works there in sales" I said, "whats her name" He says "Denise" I was like "WOW, small world, we bought our WRX from her!!!!"

At that point, I tought it was FATE, I HAD to buy a Charger! :rockon:

The second I got into that red HEMI Charger, started it up, and hit the gas, I was HOOKED!

When I 1st viewed the Charger brochure, and saw the GO-MANGO Daytona, down went the deposit, and there goes my Internet order! :)

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I'll tell ya AZ, when they first showed the '99 concept, I was blown away. I had never owned a Dodge before, but I was gonna buy one and be the first in line if they built it.
When I saw the Charger as it is I was like WTF!!! But I said OK, let's have looksee. Only took a couple minutes to decide this was gonna work out. I will study a body shape to see if tweaking brings out the wolf in sheep's clothing. The Charger look's menacing from the gitgo. When I saw the SRT8, you could've driven a Mack truck into my mouth. Now if only I can order one. :biggrin: Regards to ALL!! Mike

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
For me... well.... I have been contemplating selling my AV and getting some kind of performance car for a few months, but every time I look... nothing "fit" me...

The 300C is nice... but they are a dime a dozen around here, and do not "fit" me, and the magnum, well.... I would rather drive a suburban then a station wagon, no matter what engine it has...

Pretty well any fwd car is out of question, as the only thing I hate more the rap music is torque steer.... which left me with very few options...

the gto is quick, but premium fuel and lack of looks really tuned me off, and the corvette just has no practicallity... for my one and only vehicle it would never work...
The RX-8 is quick, but it is small, and right now mazda is not looking very healthy here in the US....

So as soon as the Charger came out... my interest was peaked... and as soon as I saw the Daytona model..... I knew that this was the car for me... in fact I ordered one through the dealer in Idaho sight-unseen... the only experience I had with the car was online and magazines... without seeing it in person, or test driving it... I had to have it.

I have since gone on 3 test drives and moved my order to Earnhardts Dodge, which is about 30 min from me, rather then 36 hours from me like my origional order..

Anyway... I am looking forward to the day I take delivery...

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
Pretty well any fwd car is out of question, as the only thing I hate more the rap music is torque steer.... which left me with very few options...
The only thing i hate worse than rap music, is having cattle prods shoved in my ears!! :) :whistle:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
mmaloy said:
The only thing i hate worse than rap music, is having cattle prods shoved in my ears!! :) :whistle:

·
Registered
154 Posts
The company that I work for always paid for gas, so I always drove an SUV on my 600-900 mile weekly trips to the office and customers. They recently changed to milage and it hurt a lot. I had all the intentions to get a nice sensible Volkswagon Passat Diesel. I had the paperwork and was ready to pull the trigger. Then all of a sudden, out of no where I saw a commercial. It wasn't a long commercial just a catchy one. It lured me to the Dodge web site to take a look. Before I knew it I saw the Charger and was addicted. I dropped the sensible car and moved very very fast to the fun car. I justified it in my mind that 25 highway is a lot better than the 15-17 I was getting in the SUV and I work hard for my money so why not. The rest is history. A bit of back and forth with the dealer trying to get me to take one off the lot, my order going in and actually being built and shipped 2 weeks early. I really have gotten a lot from this forum. Great people with a common thread. Now all I need to do is the extras

Flowmaster Super 400 Exhaust
Tinting all around
Steel Rims with Dog Dish Hubcaps
Possibly cold air kit (Still on the fince about that one)

Thanks everyone for the conversations, it is a great place to lounge.

Lammy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same here WTF!!!!. The concept is 100% better. Not buying this Magnum/Charger in the future. Hopefully Dodge will realize that the concept is what people really want for the Charger.

mmaloy said:
I'll tell ya AZ, when they first showed the '99 concept, I was blown away. I had never owned a Dodge before, but I was gonna buy one and be the first in line if they built it.
When I saw the Charger as it is I was like WTF!!! But I said OK, let's have looksee. Only took a couple minutes to decide this was gonna work out. I will study a body shape to see if tweaking brings out the wolf in sheep's clothing. The Charger look's menacing from the gitgo. When I saw the SRT8, you could've driven a Mack truck into my mouth. Now if only I can order one. :biggrin: Regards to ALL!! Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
bkovacs said:
Same here WTF!!!!. The concept is 100% better. Not buying this Magnum/Charger in the future. Hopefully Dodge will realize that the concept is what people really want for the Charger.
No, it's what YOU want. I think the concept car was a monstrosity that looked like an import. Stop polluting other threads with this nonsense.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it's what YOU want. I think the concept car was a monstrosity that looked like an import. Stop polluting other threads with this nonsense.
I agree 100%

Whats with people coming onto the board and posting negativity? Its POINTLESS!

·
Registered
743 Posts
My Charger Story is kinda cool...

I went to Dodge.com around may 15th and used the "contact dealer" to eMail the two 5stars in my area.
One had a silver R/T and the other dealer had a black R/T...
Well, I replied to them both that the car HAD to be Red... and threw in it HAD to have the FACTORY sunroof.
So I figured "that was that." and I'd check back weeks later...

... but lo and behold, one dealer, Hendrick, called me on my birthday (friday 5/20) and said they had just gotten a Red Charger R/T w/sunroof in... it was still on the truck... I said I'd come check it out on Sat. since I was off work...

So, Saturday my bro, maneval69, and I went to eat with a grandmother. She had a friend over who's son worked in DEI's shop and who's grandson was on Kahne's pit crew...

the Dodge spirits where just too loud...

Needless to say it didn't take me long to say, "Gimme" (I had already preapproved enough of a loan from the bank days earlier). In fact, it was kind of funny when the Sales guys where still trying to sell the car to me, while I was just waiting for them to get on with the paperwork. Drove away with from Hendrick Dodge with 7 miles on my new car. I got to watch it trip TWO digits on the odometer... COOL!

Having fun ever since.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Since fall last year I'd been casually looking at replacing my coupe with a sedan. I was aiming for mid 20's in price and at least 200HP. Of course within those limits my choices were limited and almost all of them front wheel drive. I had looked at the Magnum and was tempted but it wasn't quite right and the 300C was a bit pricey and I'm not much of a luxury car guy just yet.

Well early spring I was doing another round of comparisons when I came across news of the new dodge charger at the detriot car show. As soon as I looked at the car and read the specs I knew this was the car I was looking for. Since then I eagerly waited for them to be sent to dealerships and took first my test drive in mid May. Just last week I test drove the Go Mango Daytona and now wait to order a Top Banana Daytona.

I did go past my initial price range, but since that time I've saved up extra and had a few other things fall my way.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay, hopefully this won't be too long winded - well, it likely will, but here it goes anyway . . .

I had a Chevy C3500 Dually that I pulled my race rig with, in March I moved up to a Haulmark Freightliner Toterhome to pull the rig and traded in the dually on it which left me without a daily driver. I had a '05 ZX12R, but down here in FL, the rains get a bit unnerving with the q-tips driving around, so the quest began for a 'dry' daily driver. Found a '93 Jeep Wrangler with an american flag paint job and bought it. It was rough so I gutted the interior and restored it all spending $2k to complete it. Well, 3 months later, I was tired of the rough ride and lack of creature comforts, namely the a/c was pretty ineffectual in the heat down here with a soft top.

So the quest began again. I went to a bunch of different manufacturers websites and looked a bunch of different cars, nothing really getting my attention much, until I hit the Dodge website and played the "Speed" advertisment video. SOLD. I wanted a SRT-8, but didn't want to wait forever to get one. So, checked out information and decided I really liked the Daytona and the Go ManGo! orange paint scheme, the interior and everything about it. Started looking around on the net only to find that no one seemed to have one? Was this possible, the car I finally came to want, I could not get? So, I contacted the 8 closest dealers to me and found one willing to sell me one at MSRP and they had one available out of 3 due in "any day". Well, any day turned out to be "sometime soon", which turned into "awaiting customs and 'in storage'". So how long to wait? I'm an impulse buyer and a "gotta have it now" guy, so I started looking around to see if anyone else was getting in any anytime sooner. That is when I found this message board and joined and started checking it out and making some posts. My local dealership's internet sales rep located 8 from TX to NY and made calls trying to get one shipped in for me - all wanted $5-10k pricing addendums above MSRP - CRAP, I was destined to wait I guess - or so I thought. When I posted my woes, Charger Fan on this board posted that Arrigo Dodge in West Palm Beach had one on their floor - Hmmmm!!! So, I quickly called over to see if it was true - sure enough, they had one on the showroom floor for the last two days!! :) So, since WPB is on the other side of FL from me, the faxes started flying and literally, in two hours the deal came together. Get the wife's okay to take the evening to go pick it up, load up the race rig and haul butt for WPB. If this is only where it ended . . . .
There is no straight across route to WPB from Cape Coral, so either you can go south to Alligator Alley & across or go north & skirt the bottom of Lake Okeechobee & across. We went north and go hit with a detour for construction which put us in the middle of the cane fields in the center of FL ! ! ! Well, some jacka** must've either forgot the final detour sign or some kid/idiot stole the final one, cause we got to a T in the road and had to make a decision - Right or Left? So making the best (or worse) choice, we went left and ended up back on what we thought was the right route and ended up going about 60 miles in the wrong direction!! Well, we ended finally making it to the dealership about 20 minutes after they were supposed to be closed. :cry: Luckily enough, we had been in contact via cell and they knew we were on our way and stayed there for us. We took care of the paperwork and loaded the car into the trailer and in less than an hour, were back on our way home. We arrived home at 2:30am, tired but happy and I had my Daytona!

Now, the only time I had driven one was after the deal was closed and I was loading it into my trailer, literally 30 feet! Sat in a R/T the night we bought my wife a Durango, but never drove one or even started one. I went by looks, reviews and such. A big thing for me is the seats and I was sold on several reviews stating how comfortable the seats were in the Daytona over the standard seats. I have a bad back from breaking it racing motorcycle, so the seats sold me along with everything else. Luckily enough, mine also has the heated seats, which in Florida sounds rediculous, but given my back problems, I crank the a/c, hit the heated seat and by the time I get to work, I've had a heated massage! :D

I love this car, love the looks it gets and as soon as the tint is done this week, will love it even more! I literally have people pulling up next to me in traffic and checking the car out, moving around in the lanes to get a full look at it, stopping me in parking lots talking with me - 2 restaruants this weekend and Target, and even have had 2 people follow me home!! STALKERS!! :lol:
I won't, or at least will try, not to mod this thing out so far that it is un-streetable as that is what I did to my last car, a '98 T/A. This one will get some mild performance upgrades to match it's looks and I'll keep it reliable and streetable. It is truly one awesome ride!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I never really paid any attention to it until my June 6th Autoweek arrived. On June 13th I ordered my Daytona. DAMN THAT AUTOWEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, hopefully this won't be too long winded - well, it likely will, but here it goes anyway . . .

I had a Chevy C3500 Dually that I pulled my race rig with, in March I moved up to a Haulmark Freightliner Toterhome to pull the rig and traded in the dually on it which left me without a daily driver. I had a '05 ZX12R, but down here in FL, the rains get a bit unnerving with the q-tips driving around, so the quest began for a 'dry' daily driver. Found a '93 Jeep Wrangler with an american flag paint job and bought it. It was rough so I gutted the interior and restored it all spending $2k to complete it. Well, 3 months later, I was tired of the rough ride and lack of creature comforts, namely the a/c was pretty ineffectual in the heat down here with a soft top.

So the quest began again. I went to a bunch of different manufacturers websites and looked a bunch of different cars, nothing really getting my attention much, until I hit the Dodge website and played the "Speed" advertisment video. SOLD. I wanted a SRT-8, but didn't want to wait forever to get one. So, checked out information and decided I really liked the Daytona and the Go ManGo! orange paint scheme, the interior and everything about it. Started looking around on the net only to find that no one seemed to have one? Was this possible, the car I finally came to want, I could not get? So, I contacted the 8 closest dealers to me and found one willing to sell me one at MSRP and they had one available out of 3 due in "any day". Well, any day turned out to be "sometime soon", which turned into "awaiting customs and 'in storage'". So how long to wait? I'm an impulse buyer and a "gotta have it now" guy, so I started looking around to see if anyone else was getting in any anytime sooner. That is when I found this message board and joined and started checking it out and making some posts. My local dealership's internet sales rep located 8 from TX to NY and made calls trying to get one shipped in for me - all wanted $5-10k pricing addendums above MSRP - CRAP, I was destined to wait I guess - or so I thought. When I posted my woes, Charger Fan on this board posted that Arrigo Dodge in West Palm Beach had one on their floor - Hmmmm!!! So, I quickly called over to see if it was true - sure enough, they had one on the showroom floor for the last two days!! So, since WPB is on the other side of FL from me, the faxes started flying and literally, in two hours the deal came together. Get the wife's okay to take the evening to go pick it up, load up the race rig and haul butt for WPB. If this is only where it ended . . . .
There is no straight across route to WPB from Cape Coral, so either you can go south to Alligator Alley & across or go north & skirt the bottom of Lake Okeechobee & across. We went north and go hit with a detour for construction which put us in the middle of the cane fields in the center of FL ! ! ! Well, some jacka** must've either forgot the final detour sign or some kid/idiot stole the final one, cause we got to a T in the road and had to make a decision - Right or Left? So making the best (or worse) choice, we went left and ended up back on what we thought was the right route and ended up going about 60 miles in the wrong direction!! Well, we ended finally making it to the dealership about 20 minutes after they were supposed to be closed. Luckily enough, we had been in contact via cell and they knew we were on our way and stayed there for us. We took care of the paperwork and loaded the car into the trailer and in less than an hour, were back on our way home. We arrived home at 2:30am, tired but happy and I had my Daytona!

Now, the only time I had driven one was after the deal was closed and I was loading it into my trailer, literally 30 feet! Sat in a R/T the night we bought my wife a Durango, but never drove one or even started one. I went by looks, reviews and such. A big thing for me is the seats and I was sold on several reviews stating how comfortable the seats were in the Daytona over the standard seats. I have a bad back from breaking it racing motorcycle, so the seats sold me along with everything else. Luckily enough, mine also has the heated seats, which in Florida sounds rediculous, but given my back problems, I crank the a/c, hit the heated seat and by the time I get to work, I've had a heated massage!

I love this car, love the looks it gets and as soon as the tint is done this week, will love it even more! I literally have people pulling up next to me in traffic and checking the car out, moving around in the lanes to get a full look at it, stopping me in parking lots talking with me - 2 restaruants this weekend and Target, and even have had 2 people follow me home!! STALKERS!!
I won't, or at least will try, not to mod this thing out so far that it is un-streetable as that is what I did to my last car, a '98 T/A. This one will get some mild performance upgrades to match it's looks and I'll keep it reliable and streetable. It is truly one awesome ride!

P.S. Nice story! :smile:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I will try and keep mine short... :laugh::laugh:! Yeah, right, me keep a post short!

For some time (over winter) I had been keeping track of how much more in interest I was paying after three years of payments than my wife's new Honda Pilot. Then came spring time and I had had enough. I told my wife that we needed to do something about it. She agreed and asked me what I would want to replace the car I have. Mind you I like my car. Runs well, looks sharp, and it is comfortable. I did not know what was out there that could replace it. So I started looking. First at the Magnums, and then to other sedans.

I never really tried to find something since it really wasn't urgent. But then comes late April, early May. For giggles I started looking at what was new coming out for the next year. And there it was, 2006 Charger. Hmmm, looks a little different, but not unpleasant. Started reading more about it from the Dodge site and searching for more information on the web. Thats when I found this site. Thanks to you all!! Now I just love the looks, it really has grown on me and I believe it will be accepted by the die hards sooner or later.

After doing some soul searching to decide on what I wanted to do, I figured out that since I wasn't in a big hurry to get a new car I could order one and get all the options I wanted (and didn't want) and be a happy camper. It was during this search for info on options that learned about the Daytona. I had not been able to settle on an R/T color because none of them really reached out and said "Thats The One!". But when I saw the test pics of the GoMango, I was sold. Thats it, thats what I wanted.

Wife agreed with the plan and the car. It is due to arrive sometime around Labor Day. I cannot wait to drive it!!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My love for the charger started on a saturday night while drinking beer at a friends house(let's hope it wasn't beer goggles)... We were sitting around watching tv and drinking beer, a commercial came on so i picked up a Maxim for FHM sitting on the coffee table. One of the features in the magazine was "awesome cars" and they had a list on one page and at the very bottom of the page i saw 2006 Dodge Charger. The picture was of the front end and was very small (1" x 1/2").

It was love at first sight! Then a couple weeks later I saw a pic of the Charger SRT-8 and it filled my pants with warmth. It has since then, slowly turned into an obsession. I've been coming to these forums, reading all the literature i can find on the LX platform, and often taking the long way to get somewhere if it'll take me past a dealership that has a Charger sitting out.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about an American made, HEMI V-8 powered, rear wheel drive, four door sedan that screams AWESOME!

Unfortunately I still have one year left at KU, but I have started saving up, and hopefully between living at home for a year after school (cost of living is expensive in Chicago! you couldn't pay me to live anywhere else though), a large down payment, trading in the ole' LeSabre, and the income of a starting architect I'll be able to pull off a Silver Steel Charger R/T.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then a couple weeks later I saw a pic of the Charger SRT-8 and it filled my pants with warmth.
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts