Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been reading a lot of the old posts about the brakes and haven't seen any describe the issue my car is having. So, my Daytona is at about 18,900 miles. After a recent oil change, my tires started squeeking a little while driving. It was a bit annoying, but I still have the stock brakes and I was aware of the common problems with them. With each day that passed, it got worse. After a few days, it was a constant squeel and then a grinding type noise when I was braking. Finally, my boyfriend and I both had time to get the car on the lift and take a look at what was going on:

These brake pads are from the driver's side. The good looking one was on the outside, while the chewed up one was on the inside. There is nothing but metal left, and on one side the metal is all scraped up. We figured that the caliper was constantly pressing in on the inside brake pad, while the outside floated freely like it's supposed to.
It was taken into the dealership and they told my boyfriend that it was totally normal, that they were suprised I had made it this long...and wanted to do a brake job on it that wasn't covered under warranty and would probably end up costing me a ton of money.

Now, I had them fix the brakes (for squeeling while stopping) at 9000 miles. I'm not sure if they had replaced the pads, I know they replaced the rotors.

I now need to get the rotors turned, new brake pads, fix the calipers, and this is supposed to be "normal wear and tear"? Also, what I find funny about it being "normal" is that the passenger side looks nothing like this. Sure, there is more wear on the inside pad, but nothing that I would consider abnormal.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Also, are the worn angles at the edges of the pad normal? They seem more severe one the driver's side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean the brake pad being nothing but metal or the angle at the edge of the pads?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I've had this on other cars although not quite as severe as your case.
I was checking the outside and they looked fine but when I pulled the
caliper the inside pad was shot like yours.

The angles on the pads are normal.

With all the stop and go traffic in SoCal I've found the front pads
on most cars I've owned are gone between 15-20k.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
You mean the brake pad being nothing but metal or the angle at the edge of the pads?
That looks like a clear cut case of the caliper hanging up on that side and (as you guessed) constantly pressing the inboard pad into the rotor. If that was my car, I'd want a new caliper on that side in addition to replacing both front rotors/pads.

Best,

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ms. Slick.....did you ever get this situation fixed by the dealer?

Well guess what....this just happened to me too, at 18K miles. I brought it in because I heard a dragging sound coming from the front passenger side. Low and behold the dealership calls me and tells me I need new pads.....WTH!?

The rotors and pads had been replaced once under warranty so I'm wondering if the tech put the pads back on right.

So now I have some ammo at least.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This just happened to me as well. I have 16K on my Daytona. I took it to one dealership, they said I needed new brake pads. Both sides of my car, the front inboard pads had less than 3 mm on them and the outboard pads had 7-8 mm. The tech and service writer thought this was weird. I felt it was unnecessary to replace pads on my car with only 16K miles on it. I took it to the dealership where I bought the car and had all the other service done on it. They had my car a day, and came back with the report," your brakes are fine". I thought to myself, one place says they are shot, the next says "they're fine". I then took it to a Master Mechanic who works for Ford, but a really good friend. He took the time to take the tire and wheel off and sure enough, my inbound pads are shot. I take it back to the second dealership and tell them to re-look at the brakes. I have the Master Tech call them and read them the riot act and after two days of arguing, Dodge's problem with their brake pads, calipers, and rotors is being fixed no charge. I just hope it doesn't happen again in 10K miles.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
If the metal from the pad was grinding on the rotor, then you'll either need to get your rotors resurfaced or replaced. I had this same thing happen on my Jeep and luckily the gouges in the rotors were small enough so that I could just resurface them instead of having to replace them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Around 7k I noticed shuttering while braking, usually with medium pressure on the brake pedal...not so much on hard braking or very light braking. Took the car in for 9k oil change and to fix the "known issue" transmission leak. Dealer replaced the front pads and rotors.

They said brake related issues up to 12k miles are warranty covered, beyond that they are "normal wear item". The new fronts pads/ rotors are warrantied for another 12k. So if you're having brake issues, get it in before the cutoff.

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
That looks like a clear cut case of the caliper hanging up on that side and (as you guessed) constantly pressing the inboard pad into the rotor. If that was my car, I'd want a new caliper on that side in addition to replacing both front rotors/pads.

Best,
:yes: Stuck caliper; yup, yup, yup! That'd be my guess... was this car sitting on a dealer's lot for a long, long time? :smoke:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts