Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I hear that from so many people still when they come and look at my SRT8 when I am filling up with gasoline or checking the oil.

Even people who like Mopar cars come up and say hey, I really like this.... and then I wait for the pause...........yea but it's still a 4 door!!?!.

Even people with Challengers have walked up and said nice SRT8 but.......I wanted 2 doors.

Who really cares!!! I was at the Mopar Nationals in 2006 when very few people had an SRT8 yet and people were walking around with the shirts that said "the new charger sucks"

I finally had just had enough and I started to say back to them yea, it sucks but only if you don't have one!

Look at the Charger in 1975 through 1978. That had two doors, but I certainly wouldn't call it a Charger but that is what it is.

Why does a Charger HAVE to be a 2 door? I know this is an old argument but Man I really get tired of that......Yea, but it's still a 4 door!

Yea, well I have two more doors to blow you off with there Jack!!

Am I being too sensitive here.....I know I should just get over it, but I just hate it when they say that!:rolleyes2:

What do you think....anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
this debate is as old as our cars.....

my usual response is....i dont care what its called, its a good looking car, and the rt's and srt's have a great amount of power for the price. was charger the best name choice?? from a marketing stance....yes probably. How many people that are 40-50 had a late 60's early 70's charger.....guess what, now they can relive part of their childhood, with their families in the car.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Same thing happened to me this morning. Was Fuelling up and a guy comes over says hey that 's a nice car but it need to be 2 doors. LOL

Personally with this body style I think the 4 doors are prefect. They could not make this with 2 doors and make it look as good.

Guess that's why Dodge made the Challenger :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have heard the something, But most can't afford a 1975 ford pinto let alone a Charger SRT.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well, I had a '68 Charger (THE best looking year IMO) and I wasn't interested in the new Charger because of the four doors... BUT... I haven't dissed anyone for their choice, SRT or no. I think it's a great looking car, particularly the SRT!

Ok the other hand... For me the only SRT of interest was the Magnum, I'm sure glad that I've got one. Although I love the look of the Challenger even more... Won't have one because of the "only" two doors!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've never had anyone approach me at the gas pumps with compliments, or criticism.

Maybe it's the hockey mask I wear when fueling.

·
Super Moderator
11,623 Posts
Only had that argument with someone once, a while ago.

Posted a thread about it here:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70600

The guy was going on and on about my Charger not being a "real" Charger because it has 4 doors, and meanwhile he was driving a beat up Pontiac Sunfire that looked like he bought it at a wrecking yard.

:slap:

-=FLEX=-

Here's a repsonse for you if it ever happens again:

Hey, guess what Fonzy? That was 35 years ago, and I couldn’t help but notice that you’re currently driving a rusted out, dented base model 2003 PONTIAC SUNFIRE.

I think it’s time to stop living in (and embellishing) the “Glory Days”.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
i've only heard that a few times... the one I hear more is... it's only got an automatic... :slap: funny the auto challenger gets better track times than the stick from what I keep reading on challengertalk

and yeah, the challenger may have two doors but the thing is just as heavy as our chargers... don't get me wrong, I like the challenger but it's just not as mean looking as the charger... is it more retro, yes:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I do like your current response Brian, "yeah it sucks if you don't have one" :beer_yum:

If i'm ever confronted about it i always bring up the question "well have you ever driven one/ any car for that matter, that can do an average of 11-13sec 1/4 time?" especially people with 2 door tuners, i always bring up how the evo (to my understanding one of the fastest stock late-model tuners) also has 4 doors.

Then the whole handling argument comes up. "i can do 1.xx+ in this car blah bleh" and i go yeah, these can be modded to do that and i can haul my wife [fiance now] and 3 kids [nonexsistant lol] with our strollers and luggage in the trunk and still blow you away

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I do like your current response Brian, "yeah it sucks if you don't have one" :beer_yum:

If i'm ever confronted about it i always bring up the question "well have you ever driven one/ any car for that matter, that can do an average of 11-13sec 1/4 time?" especially people with 2 door tuners, i always bring up how the evo (to my understanding one of the fastest stock late-model tuners) also has 4 doors.

Then the whole handling argument comes up. "i can do 1.xx+ in this car blah bleh" and i go yeah, these can be modded to do that and i can haul my wife [fiance now] and 3 kids [nonexsistant lol] with our strollers and luggage in the trunk and still blow you away
Thats my usual answer, Yeah, I've got 4 drs...but I can load up 4 adults with 500lbs of luggage after I blow off your doors...and go to the beach...unload...and still blow off your doors..........;)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thats my usual answer, Yeah, I've got 4 drs...but I can load up 4 adults with 500lbs of luggage after I blow off your doors...and go to the beach...unload...and still blow off your doors..........;)
I like that response LOL:beerchug:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I hear more about the automatic tranny than the doors. I don't debate it; the only way to convince them is to let them drive it and that ain't gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I hear more about the automatic tranny than the doors. I don't debate it; the only way to convince them is to let them drive it and that ain't gonna happen.
Amen to that!!!!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get approached and get the samething nice car ,but is has 4 doors. I have 2 responses depending how I am feeling. It will take you car or the car is like a mullet business by day party at night and then they look at me and walk away.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've never had anyone approach me at the gas pumps with compliments, or criticism.

Maybe it's the hockey mask I wear when fueling.
I thought I was the only one who wore hockey mask w/ a leopard skin thong while refueling

·
Registered
231 Posts
I love the charger for what it is a big powerful sedan. The people complaining about it having 4 doors would be the same people that wouldn't buy it if it had 2 doors. Just enjoy what you have and blow there doors off.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I love the look of the Charger. It is menacing as well as being practical. I have a wife and two kids. Right now my wife is out w/ the kids at a b-day party, and then off to get groceries after. Not too many four doors you can look cool in loading up at costco.....besides who gives a rip about four doors or not. All I get is compliments......except for all the rentals running around the island down here, the HEMI Chargers stand out.

PS, I was only kidding about that thong thing.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
At our house, the four doors is what made us consider the Charger. Sure it has a good menacing looking front end that says GET OUT OF MY WAY, but the four doors make it practical. One of our kids has a '95 Grand Prix with two doors. Those doors are so long and heavy it's a pain to climb out of that car. With today's tighter parking spots, the four door car is much easier to get in and out of.

I hear that all the time also--it's got four doors. I just tell people it's not a sports car.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts