Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our Chargers isnt it better to have a X pipe rather then running two straight pipes back because any performance exhaust system, some type of crossover connecting the two sides of a dual exhaust system is important because it acts to balance the two banks of the engine??

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Its just not right. I know there is a science behind backpressure with the x pipe but as a tech and a true dodge guy, i say dual that thing.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
On our Chargers isnt it better to have a X pipe rather then running two straight pipes back because any performance exhaust system, some type of crossover connecting the two sides of a dual exhaust system is important because it acts to balance the two banks of the engine??
Absolutely! No manufacturer is going to incorporate such a complication to the system if it didn't have a purpose! It balances the banks - i.e. it allows for pressure wave tuning of the exhaust. Or scavenging as it's more commonly known. :)

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
yea but with all the cam/head/programmer stuff pimplay has been asking about on the other threads, he's obviously a dodge guy whos gonna go balls to the wall so lets get some duals on there and get rid of all kinks and obstructions in the exhaust so that doesnt end up becoming a weak point later.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
well i dont claim it as dual if you still have the muffler on in the stock location as it isnt chambered to keep the sides seperate.
Exhaust depot is working on a cheapy kit for 5.7 and 6.1. I think the thread is "i'm working on a 600-700$ exhaust for you guys" I cant remember if there's has the x or not but i'm sure if anyone could explain pros and cons of the x they could

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohhh ight yea I got you.. I will just keep my setup as it is now and if a problem erupts ill change all piping to 3.5' after headers to free up pressure from the warrior cam i am looking at but am not sure yet :)

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
3.5 is a bit much. I dont plan on doing any bigger than 3 and i'm gonna be s/c with nos. Once procharger gets their tuning down pat.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
well i dont claim it as dual if you still have the muffler on in the stock location as it isnt chambered to keep the sides seperate.
Exhaust depot is working on a cheapy kit for 5.7 and 6.1. I think the thread is "i'm working on a 600-700$ exhaust for you guys" I cant remember if there's has the x or not but i'm sure if anyone could explain pros and cons of the x they could
Simple really - every 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation, there are 8 bangs, followed by 8 exhausts. The 8 exhausts help to evacuate all of the cylinders (all 8) - but if you get rid of the X pipe, you end up with only 4 bangs evacuating the cylinders every 720 degrees (per bank - 4). You loose half of the exhaust scavanging capability.....I think.... :nervous s

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
what ? you lost me and i have 8 certifications with dodge and ford. haha.

One reason for backpressure is heat, heat will help scavenge the exhaust faster as cold air leaving motor acts more like its drunk. Other than that i got nothing

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
what ? you lost me and i have 8 certifications with dodge and ford. haha.

One reason for backpressure is heat, heat will help scavenge the exhaust faster as cold air leaving motor acts more like its drunk. Other than that i got nothing
Hehehe - I'm drinking - so that's all I have also.... :D

It's a 4 stroke. Therefore (with a 4 banger) you get 4 powerstrokes per 720 degrees crank rotation (or 360 degrees cam rotation).

With a V8 - you double up. Now I need MORE drink...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
youve both lost me. hahahaha.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i think he has more drinks per cam revolution than actual power strokes

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
It's an asset..... :)

Seriously - if you want me to bore you with the Otto cycle blah, blah etc - let me know... :)

If not - mine's a Guinness..... :grin:

p.s. - the cam rotates at half the speed of the crank..... Now I need MORE drink... ;)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's an asset..... :)

Seriously - if you want me to bore you with the Otto cycle blah, blah etc - let me know... :)

If not - mine's a Guinness..... :grin:

p.s. - the cam rotates at half the speed of the crank..... Now I need MORE drink... ;)
I would really appreciate it if you did bore me with the otto cycle cause I have no idea wtf your talking about but i love it lol

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I would really appreciate it if you did bore me with the otto cycle cause I have no idea wtf your talking about but i love it lol
Hehehe....seriously - you don't.... ;)

:D:D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Have I mentioned that you guys scare me?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Boooooooooooo!!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts