Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get up, get dressed for work, get in my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (30k miles)... it fires right up. I put on my seatbelt, I step on the brake, and I go to put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot like I've done a thousand times beofre. Wait a second... something is different. I can slide it over, but not pull it down. Feels like something is keeping me from shifting into reverse (or anything else).

I've tried stepping on the brake harder... I've tried rocking the car... I've tried turning the wheel back and forth...

At first I thought that there must be a brake switch that is broken and that's deactivating some solenoid or something that's keeping me from shifting out of Park. But I can hear what sounds like a solenoid in the shifter engage/disengage when I step repeatedly on the brake... I then start thinking I shouldn't hear it "click", so I'm leaning towards a bum solenoid... Well, now I'm perplexed. With the solenoid engaged, you can't even move it from the P position... But when I step on the brake, it clicks, and you can shift it to the right and pull down a short distance, so that indicates the solenoid is indeed working, and there is something jammed somewhere.

Looks like I'm not going to work today.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Your park lock out broke! This is what you need to fix it. http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/1028.htm

DO NOT take it to the dealer!!!!! many have posted a how to. Its a 2 hr job but that is mainly getting the shifter out of the console area. I changed mine months ago. The piece that Dodge put in is plastic and will break and render the car undriveable. If you have any questions please ask.

Here is one of the post that will walk u through the install also. http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89090

Like I said many have changed this part and we can assist any way we can.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... That's what I figured has happened. Not sure I can wait for them to ship me that part, but it's nice to know what to tell the dealership I need.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Make sure your brake lights work first.
Its likely your park lock out as stated however if your brake switch is bad the pcm doesnt know your on the brakes and wont let you out of park either. Both are common issues

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Good luck with the dealer. A friend had this issue in his magnum and the dealer would not fix it. also told him it was not covered under warrenty. If they do replace the part it will be plastic again and will break again. Billets is aircraft grade aluminum and will not break. You could call and talk to the Billet guys and see if they can expidite shipping, I am positive they will work with you. They are a wonderful company!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I almost have the shifter out, so I'll confirm it's the part that broke and give them a call...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
THERE A SHIFTER OVER RIDE BUILT IN FOR THIS PROBLEM
the cup to the right of the shifter comes out and theres a pink button on the left of the opening to the right side of the shifter.
PUSH that pink tap in and the shifter will come out of park so your not stuck in the middle of no were.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here is what I found when I pulled the shifter apart...

Not entirely sure where that spring attaches to. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure that this pink thing is completely required.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Yep that is what breaks. I figured that is what happened. The spring attaches to the hook that broke. That is what disengages the shifter lock so you can shift out of park.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That is the piece that the billet part replaces. It's definitely the best fix if you can swing it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just ordered the billet part... and overnight shipping was almost as much as the part. I'm seriously pissed off that Dodge thought they could use such a POS on something that could leave you stranded...

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I just ordered the billet part... and overnight shipping was almost as much as the part. I'm seriously pissed off that Dodge thought they could use such a POS on something that could leave you stranded...
EXACTLY! I hope that if it ever happens to me, I won't be hunderds of miles away from home.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
What is the cost of the replacement part? If it's not too expensive, maybe a guy could be proactive and replace it before it breaks

·
Registered
689 Posts
There's an engineer somewhere that needs a shot to the nads.. and/or some purchasing guy that said I don't care if it breaks, need to be less than $.01 per part.. ugh.

It's things like this that make american cars look really bad.. heck a hole in the plastic for the spring to clip to may have worked better.. not a flimsy hook.

Tsk, tsk.. :nono:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
dodge doesnt make a replacement part for it-you have to buy the whole F'in shifter at $250 and if you dont know how to do the install they change $400 at the dealer.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
What is the cost of the replacement part? If it's not too expensive, maybe a guy could be proactive and replace it before it breaks
The part is 49.95. I replaced mine so I would not be out at a show and not able to get home.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts