Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went on my test drive of a Charger SE a while back, I noticed that when i was using autostick, when i went through the gears, after i shifted into 4th, I notice the selector on the gauges went straight back to D when i wanted to shift to 5th. I thought i was supposed to say 5, then go back to D.

Can anybody verify this?

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
808Chargerfan said:
When I went on my test drive of a Charger SE a while back, I noticed that when i was using autostick, when i went through the gears, after i shifted into 4th, I notice the selector on the gauges went straight back to D when i wanted to shift to 5th. I thought i was supposed to say 5, then go back to D.

Can anybody verify this?

John

It is a 5 speed auto the autostick just alows you to go through the gears. When you go from fourth over it goes into D witch is 5th gear or overdrive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hemibates said:
It is a 5 speed auto the autostick just alows you to go through the gears. When you go from fourth over it goes into D witch is 5th gear or overdrive.
My Charger goes from 4th to 5th and then if I hold it to the right it goes back to Drive, so it does say 5th on the gauge.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ChargerSXT said:
My SXT is a 5-speed auto-stick. It goes to "4" and then back to "D."
Well wouldn’t that mean they are 4-speed rather than 5 if it goes from 4th then back to D?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
no... they just blocked out 5th gear in autostick mode for V6's.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
no... they just blocked out 5th gear in autostick mode for V6's.....
Why would they do that? :confused:

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I dunno, I didnt design the system... :)

I think this would have to do with the output of the V6 compared to the V8, they may be concerned about engine load/tranny strain on the V6 if the transmission is put into (5) at too slow of speed, and there for only give them 1-4, with 5th availible when the transmission is in automatic mode.....

All I can do is guess....

·
Registered
161 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
I dunno, I didnt design the system... :)

I think this would have to do with the output of the V6 compared to the V8, they may be concerned about engine load/tranny strain on the V6 if the transmission is put into (5) at too slow of speed, and there for only give them 1-4, with 5th availible when the transmission is in automatic mode.....

All I can do is guess....
Sounds good to me or is it punishment for not getting the Hemi :biggrin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Autostick doesn't really make the car work like a manual. It just allows you to set the max gear you want. This is the same with Any automatic transmission except that the autostick will automaticly change gears at red line so you don't blow anything up.

If you havn't noticed any automatic car with the stick on the floor can be shifted while driving and you wont break anything. The computer won't let the transmission shift unless its in the correct speed to rpm range for that gear.

-Matthew Whited

·
Registered
79 Posts
mwwhited said:
Autostick doesn't really make the car work like a manual. It just allows you to set the max gear you want. This is the same with Any automatic transmission except that the autostick will automaticly change gears at red line so you don't blow anything up.

If you havn't noticed any automatic car with the stick on the floor can be shifted while driving and you wont break anything. The computer won't let the transmission shift unless its in the correct speed to rpm range for that gear.

-Matthew Whited

Not completely true. Depends on the type of tranny. I know that on the new volvo xc90 we got it does not work like the tiptronic that we have on the benz. I think volvo calls it geartronic.

In the volvo when you come to a stop in manual the car drops the gear to first, but if you shift it up to second before you start it will start out in second gear. The same things goes for if you shift to early. It will bump you up a gear even if you are out of the speed/power band for that gear.
Its what is termed clutchless manual. I think while at a stop it will only allow you to shift to second or third gear. So the computer does limit some things. Since trying to start in OD would burn things up. But its not like alot of other auto's (Like in the benz where if I keep it in 4th gear at a red light the car starts off in first gear, then second, then third etc. But will only shift to 5th gear if I redline it in 4th)

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
ResumeSpeed said:
For the 2006 model year, all LX vehicles (300, Magnum, and Charger, including the SRT models) come equipped with an Autostick shifter. However, there are two different versions of this shifter.

On the standard Magnum or 300, when the shift lever is tipped to the minus sign (-) from Drive, the trans will downshift to the next lower gear, and this gear then becomes the top gear of the transmission.

For example, a driver is driving along in D and the transmission is in 5th gear, the driver tips to the - twice. The transmission will downshift twice putting the transmission in 3rd gear. The transmission will now operate as a 3-speed transmission, upshifting and downshifting automatically as dictated by the shift schedule thru 1st and 3rd gear.

If the driver exceeds the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) 3rd gear shift point the transmission will override the 3rd gear range limit and upshift to 4th which becomes the new range limit.

If the driver tips once to the + or – from the 3rd gear position, the transmission will behave as a 4-speed transmission or 2 speed transmission and so on.

The Charger, on the other hand, given the same set of circumstances will also be in 3rd gear but does not upshift or downshift thru 1st, 2nd and 3rd automatically but will remain in third gear. Like the 300 and the Magnum it will upshift to the next gear if the 3rd gear WOT upshift point is reached. This is very similar to the Autostick in the SRT packages except the SRT packages will not upshift if the WOT Shift point is reached but will allow the engine to hit the engine overspeed limiter.

The Charger and SRT’s will not downshift from a manually selected gear unless the closed throttle downshift point is reached. For example, 4th gear has been selected by tipping the shift lever to minus (-) from 5th gear. The driver then goes to WOT, but the transmission will not downshift. It remains in 4th gear until the 4-5 WOT upshift vehicle speed is reached, or in the case of the SRT it will never upshift and the engine will hit the rev limiter.

The Charger and SRT’s, when in manual mode, will downshift at the closed throttle downshift points when coasting down. (The 5-4, 4-3 manual mode closed throttle shift points are slightly higher in manual mode then in automatic mode, but the closed throttle 3-2, 2-3, 2-1 are the same in Automatic and Manual Mode).

If the auto stick is in manual mode, the way to get it back into the automatic mode is to hold the shift lever for three seconds to the plus (+) side and the transmission will return to automatic mode, indicated by D (drive) in the PRNDL display.

Source: Your friends at DaimlerChrysler

As posted here

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=95489#post95489

And, yes, Resume is in the know, trust me:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts