Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1> Finally installed the Factor One projector/halo headlights. Did not drop facia entirely, just removed the top fasteners, wheel well nuts, and tilted forward.

2> Replace stock chrome R/T grille with painted SRT8 grille, added Daytona-style red R/T badge. I have to say this made a dramatic difference to the overall look of the car - looks even meaner!

3> Put some black light cold cathodes behind the new grille. I am disappointed with this one though - can barely see any light from them. Thinking I'll have to try another colour. PITA to take the grille out again though...

No pics because, well, it was dark when I finished, and I was tired, and I'm sure you've seen all these mods before...I can do some tomorrow if requested.

*** Man, you guys are a tough crowd - I was hoping to clean it up a bit before posting pics, but patience is a virtue not largely present on chargerforums, it seems...LOL. And my wife now really believes I am crazy...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Why a black light?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why a black light?
Well my thought was it would match the "purplish" colour of the projector lamps...nice idea, but I think black light is probably the weakest cold cathode output colour. Staying away from blue or red so I don't attract cops attention. Thinking I'll try green or maybe just plain white...

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
looks good bro, but when I click on the thumbnail the pics are way too small to see details...:lol: jk :)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
ChargerR/T8604 was just kidding you. (j/k)

In most places, you will not be able to actively display any colors in your grill other than the normal driving lights while the car is in motion on a public roadway. Remember, off-road use only.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Led's

The headlamps look cool! Do the five LEDs at the bottom interact with the turn signals? (ala: sequentials) If so, is that why there are five on the drivers side and only four on the passenger side?

Well I hadn't noticed but thanks for pointing that out. I was running out of daylight so i just kinda wrapped everything together and spliced them into the running lights (halo's and led's). Each led has it's own wire, so I may have missed one - I'll have to recheck the wiring when there is daylight again.

I have sequential turns on the tail lights - I'll see if I can get a kit for these - that would be cool. But from what I have read before, the sequential kits don't work well on leds, maybe add a resistor..

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Beasst, that is an insanely good catch! I had to go back and look to count em myself. Lookin good though. I really like Halo's on dark colored cars.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks sweet.. I have some projectors w/ halos on the way... What kind of bulbs are you using in the low-beam?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bulbs

Looks sweet.. I have some projectors w/ halos on the way... What kind of bulbs are you using in the low-beam?
Low beams are OEM 9006...High beams are an H1 projector.

As BeaSStmaster pointed out, one of the leds is not working. Each led has wires coming out of the unit, which are combined into a single tail (one positive and one negative) for ease of connection. So I thought it would be an easy fix. BUT...I took a look tonight when I got home. Not so easy. The wires are at the bottom of the unit, and are quite short - impossible to work on.

So it looks like I'll have to take the facia off AGAIN to fix it. I'm hoping it is just a wiring problem, not a burnt led, else I'm pooched. Will be tough to replace an led, and have it the same intensity. Might be able to salvage them if I hook them up to the turn signals though.

So, the lesson learned is - hook these puppies up BEFORE you install to make sure all is working well (leds, halos, high/low beams) BEFORE you replace the facia. I did not enjoy taking it off once, and although the second time wil lbe easier, it will still not be a fun weekend...

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
If you cant fix the one light that is burned out, you could A) Cut the wire to the corresponding light on the other side, or B) Replace that led AND the corresponding LES on the other side (and maybe use a different color) to keep it even.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the ideas TBY - I'm thinking option B if I can. It depends on wether or not I can extract/replace the led without baking the light and splitting it apart. I bought these as I did not want to go that route. If that's the case, then Option A looks good.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
I'm sorry to have rained on your parade ... not my intention at all. I tend to ignore the important stuff from time to time yet I have an uncanny ability to focus on the mundane.

I've been looking at these headlights online for quite some time and decided that I'd pull the trigger if the LEDs would do a sequence out for turn indicators instead of the single pulse by the larger lamp. That'd really get my attention! I imagine it could be done by someone MUCH smarter than me.

:geek:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey BeaSStMaster - don't get the wrong idea, I really appreciated you pointing that out! I expect I would have noticed eventually, but rather sooner than later. Gives me time to plan for fixing it up this weekend.

So kudos to you my man - good eyes!

As for the sequencer - yes that would be cool - have to see if I can knock up something quick. I had also wanted to work longer term on a newer, enhanced version of the "Knight Riderz" scanning brake light mod that I put in two weeks ago. It is not quite as wide as the OEM brake light, and now I have the OEM unit in hand, it is a good template for a mod.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How is the light output on the projectors? As good/better than stock?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.