Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of several months I incurred 2 minor speeding tickets. 5 mile over type guys. I wrote in and mitigated. Got the fines decreased. Then I got the dreaded 30+/80+. Went to court and fought it. Still got $705, 36hrs Comm Serv, 30 day suspension, and driver's ed. That stuff sucks enough. New laws. Make examples out of people. Whatever. But AIG tries to charge me $12,000 to renew my ins for 6 months! I don't hesitate to call USAA who quote me $2,900 for 1 level above state min coverage. Moral of the story, move to a sane state if you wanna speed!

·
Registered
635 Posts
30+ mph over speed limit or anything over 80 mph = all that Kraid is speaking of (fines, community service, suspended license, drivers ed., impound car at scene)

sorry but i gotta vent about this here....what really gets me is the fact that they make a big deal out of speeding/racing going to the point of crushing cars on the mainland (they havent gone that far here in hawaii yet) but YET that does not happen to DUI/DWI people who for the most part are repeat offenders....

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am fighting the same +81 charge in court...did you have a lawyer or did you just take what they gave you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was pulled over on H1. Right before you get on H3. East bound. Being Military, I'm too poor to take anything other than the Public Defender. She did a good job and pointed out some serious flaws, like the speedo calibration was for a Ford Camero... And I argued my case. Not so say I don't speed, but this time I was seriously doing about 60 when this unmarked, blue lights off car starts mega tailgating me. So I speed up to get past the guy on my right and get over two lanes. Blue lights. Thats what pisses me off. Guess I could've slowed down then got over. But this cop was driving very aggressively. I'd almost call this entrapment. But alot off these judges are really hung up on making examples out of speeders with this new law. They'll throw away perfectly good points if it suits them getting you for speeding. I watched many cases before mine. I thought he was gonna be nice. He threw out cases of unrestrained children and was even "light on a DUI!!!! If you look at the state laws, even the letter of the law is harsher on speeders. $150 min for DUI, $500 min for speeding!

·
Registered
635 Posts
^^^^^^ my point exactly.....damn state is assbackwards...better to drive drunk than sober and in control on the faster side....

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow here in texas I went exactly 95mph/65mph and the fine was $260 for 30mph over. Instead I paid a lawyer what my ticket would cost, he went to court for me and poof all gone.<-- Ive done the lawyer thing twice this year, I got him on speedial!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yeah - they're crushing cars around here. Wouldn't it make more sense to auction them off and use the money to help charitable organizations or give the cars to people who can use them????

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
wow one of my friends got pulled over last week for goin 22 over (77 in a 55, its a speed trap on the interstate) and his ticket was like $215.

·
Registered
555 Posts
DAMN!! I guess he just didn't like the Hula girl! That sucks bro. I work with a guy who used to be HPD, he always talks about how crooked the cops are here. And he was one of them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I actually dropped 1700 bucks for a lawyer, I am hoping he'll do his job. I was looking through all the new Hawaii statues and you're right, the new speeding laws are worse than DUI's...that just doesn't make any sense toi me what so ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.