Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I've been looking for a dependable car, that i can afford, but also love to look at. Only Problem is this 06 charger has 156k miles.
http://bham.craigslist.org/cto/2286311245.html

2006 Charger SXT - $6450 (Private Seller Asking price)
Replaced Egr valve,brakes & emergency brakes, new lugs, and fuel system cleaned.

Hoping he'll accept $5700- 6k - But, even that scares me. I've heard this model has frequent repair issues that can be costly, although I don't drive much. I do drive across states now and then.

Bottom line, anyone had a Charger SXT with well over 150k miles, or just plain has an opinion in general? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Online pricing quotes at $5700 (fair) $7100 (good condition)

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
That's a lot I wouldn't go more than 6k

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Me either - but I'm all twisted up in her looks - Seems like If he already put 160k on it, it could last a while...that or break down on the way back to my house:driving:

I plan to ask to let a mechanic check it out pre-purchase, but in my experience, even if they have nothing to hide, they'd rather not because its annoying, and someone else will pay the price without it being checked..

·
Registered
2 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I gotta agree with this. As long as the set of tires match and it's straight 6k would be right. Kelly Blue Book is 7300 to 5900. With that mileage it's been running mostly highway speeds. Should be a good car for you.

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
No - 150K is a lot of miles on any vehichle. A lot of people just consider the power train, but think of the fact that thats 150K miles of people in the car doing all the things that people do.

What is your budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is your budget?

Your right about the miles, obviously. If it were any other car, I probably wouldn't take a second look. - But seeing it, I realized, this thing does not compare to the jeeps and nissans I have been looking at.

Budget is 7K tops - Don't want to finance, Just want something outright. However, Craigslist and Auto Trader have been VERY rough the last month or so, and I'm more or less becoming desperate.

with edmunds.com, Nada, KBB - all private sellers in a 75+ radius of me sell their used cars at dealership prices. Suddenly everyone is a car sales man, nobody negotiates (much) anymore. everyone's 'firm' on their outrageous price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good point - I'm located in Birmingham, Al - so options are limited unless travel is required, I'll let the buyer know I'm interested for a much lower price, which is usually a deal breaker, oh well.

However, being a dealership car, this one could turn out being more like 8k when all is said and done, and we don't know if the title is clean

-I'm moving to New Orleans in two weeks, maybe I'll find a better deal on something else down there. Thanks for all your input

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Welcome from London, Ontario! Good luck on your search; take your time, you'll find the right one.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
As long as the timing belt has been changed, those 3.5L engines are pretty strong.

I've owned one with over 150k in an Intrepid, it still ran very good.... things do break occasionally, if you can't fix them yourself, it WILL be costly. They are pretty reliable, though. 150k on a Charger, expect clunks in the suspension, and a need to replace several front end components.

If you don't know cars that well, definitely have a pro mechanic check it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts