Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys been reading all kinds of posts on fule octane and other stuff but need some more help. Is what I am hearing normal or should I take it in for service?

Background:
2007 Charger R/T with Road & Track (Stock)
Had the car about 8 months now and got 5,800 miles on it. Been using 89 since day one. Have doen oil changes every 3 months (performed by the dealer I live in an apartment with strick rules about working on cars). Did not switch to sythetic yet.

Possible Problem:
At WOT I can hear a tick tick tick.

I have recently filled up with 91 and last night filled up again with 92. From what I have read most people get the tick tick tick when using higher than 89. So I wanted to see if my tick tick tick would be worse with octane in the 90's. No difference.

Any help would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Take it in. Its your lifters. they went bad. If you keep driving on it you will damage the rockers and the cam. I know I just took mine in for the same thing on monday and it got finished today. It only takes them 1 day for the lifters but if the other stuff is messed up then it could take 2. No biggie just get it taken care of.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
How loud is the tick? Could it be an exhaust leak?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How loud is the tick? Could it be an exhaust leak?
Loud enough to hear it inside with the windows up. I had a friend listen for it and he could not hear it until he was taking action shots of the car passing by at WOT.

Take it in. Its your lifters. they went bad. If you keep driving on it you will damage the rockers and the cam. I know I just took mine in for the same thing on monday and it got finished today. It only takes them 1 day for the lifters but if the other stuff is messed up then it could take 2. No biggie just get it taken care of.
If It was lifters I would think i would have power loss of some kind. From a performance stand point I have no issues.

I guess it could be the HEMI TICK I have been reading about.

Thoughts....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You have the 3.5L, correct?

It will be difficult to get fixed if you only get clicking/ticking at WOT.
Not sure if the dealer will test at WOT. I get it around 6000rpm but not always so will ignore it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have the 3.5L, correct?

It will be difficult to get fixed if you only get clicking/ticking at WOT.
Not sure if the dealer will test at WOT. I get it around 6000rpm but not always so will ignore it.
No I have a 5.7

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
infamous hemi tick as said above, possible lifter noise less likely , or maybe maybe lound injectors. Open hood and have someone rev it up to right before rev limit and see if you can hear it at a stand still in park. This will give you the difference between lifter,injector noise or hemi tick / octane knock. hemi tick octane knock will only happen under load (car moving ) Injector tick can happen all the time and get worse with rpm. Lifter noise can normally be heard at all rpms and it gets worse with rpm increases.
Thats the best way to tell between the four possiblilities

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
infamous hemi tick as said above, possible lifter noise less likely , or maybe maybe lound injectors. Open hood and have someone rev it up to right before rev limit and see if you can hear it at a stand still in park. This will give you the difference between lifter,injector noise or hemi tick / octane knock. hemi tick octane knock will only happen under load (car moving ) Injector tick can happen all the time and get worse with rpm. Lifter noise can normally be heard at all rpms and it gets worse with rpm increases.
Thats the best way to tell between the four possiblilities
Thanks will test tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Manifold leak?

Is it engine speed ticking, or road speed?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it engine speed ticking, or road speed?
Engine speed 4 sure.

Once I am at WOT it gets faster and faster with RPM. However it does not get louder with RPM

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Engine speed 4 sure.

Once I am at WOT it gets faster and faster with RPM. However it does not get louder with RPM
I'd be inclined to get the headers/downpipes checked for leaks.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm glad I read this. I hear the same thing I think at WOT. I thought it was engine knock or ping but seeing here that it's a normal thing for these hemi's, I will let it go.

·
Registered
338 Posts
By the sound of it, if it is at wide open throttle and you hear it usually at the end of a gear, then its the hemi tick once it gets into the higher RPMS... Happens to me too. Don't you love the HEMI tick... I do! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
07 rt/rt and mine has done it from day one. I only have 1700 miles ,but at around 4500 rpm and up in wot it ticks.My description of the noise, sounds like when you pull a sparkplug wire off a running engine.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I need a soundclip of this. I have a tick to me it sounds like an exhaust leak with thin walled headers. Is this what you guy hear? I have header ticks until they warm up and then nothing until hot then I get the tick, maybe I need my hearing checked

1 - 20 of 37 Posts