Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth it to tint the tails with night shade? I have them PDd right now but have been considering going to night shade to get a cleaer less distorted look with the lights on...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
VHT is cleaner and can be polished to a shine making it look like factory tint.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nope. They look like crap. Most places charger $50-60 to do tail lights and a third brake light to match. They typically use clear with a few drops of black.

Nightshades doesn't get glossy. It looks dull so it's looks cheap. I used some on an older silverado I had a few years ago. Never again. Spend the extra couple bucks.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So split on what to do...

No idea where to even find a tint shop here in denver if I were to go the route

·
Registered
337 Posts
Dude, they gloss up really good with Nightshade,...

Nope. They look like crap. Most places charger $50-60 to do tail lights and a third brake light to match. They typically use clear with a few drops of black.

Nightshades doesn't get glossy. It looks dull so it's looks cheap. I used some on an older silverado I had a few years ago. Never again. Spend the extra couple bucks.
...did mine three or four years ago, just starting to lose the gloss now. All it takes is clear coat and wet sanding, and a very little patience.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
^^^this. Nightshades is basically a tinted satin clear coat. It will not get real glossy on its own....if you want to match the body paint gloss, add an additional coat or three of gloss clear...then polish out. I have done many taillights like this and they look great, light transfers very well and the cost is minimal.

-- sent from my HTC DNA --

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^this. Nightshades is basically a tinted satin clear coat. It will not get real glossy on its own....if you want to match the body paint gloss, add an additional coat or three of gloss clear...then polish out. I have done many taillights like this and they look great, light transfers very well and the cost is minimal.

How would I go about polishing it?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
High grit sandpaper and wetsand then work to a liquid/paste polish then buff them out.

You might be able to get the affect you want from just a paste polish to...might just start there after u nightshadr and clear them

·
Registered
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have my tails tinted with VHT and they look just as glossy as my BB paint. If you do it the right way they come out beautiful. You get your desired amount of darkness with more coats of it. Start out light and darken to your liking. Wait for the VHT to dry then sand with 2000 grit sandpaper so the clear coat sticks good, then use VHT clear coat. I used 3 coats of clear and waited for it to dry. Then I used 2000 grit paper and wet sanded all while keeping the lights wet. Then took my buffer with rubbing compound and buffed the lens like I would my car. Wipe that off, then buff with glaze(you can skip the glaze if you want), then finish with buffing with wax and wipe off. You should have a beautiful tinted lens that shines like paint and looks like a factory job.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I have my tails tinted with VHT and they look just as glossy as my BB paint.... ...Wait for the VHT to dry then sand with 2000 grit sandpaper so the clear coat sticks good, then use VHT clear coat. I used 3 coats of clear and waited for it to dry. Then I used 2000 grit paper and wet sanded all while keeping the lights wet. Then took my buffer with rubbing compound and buffed the lens like I would my car. Wipe that off, then buff with glaze(you can skip the glaze if you want), then finish with buffing with wax and wipe off........
Pretty much how I did my '10 Charger, and my '07 Ram.

Prep the area to be tinted.
Spray the VHT to the darkness desired.
Lightly sand the tint to get a good bond with clear.
Apply several coat of clear (I used clear enamel, not VHT clear but any quality clear coat should do).
Wet sand the clear (the finer the grit the better, but make sure to keep it wet). If you start seeing tint in your water you've gone to far and need to reapply clear. The water should look milky not grey/black.
Make sure it's dry then buff with polishing compound. I found it easiest to polish while on the car/truck so you can put some pressure on it.
I skipped the glaze, but after buff, I applied a few coats of wax.

Mine came out glossy too. Here's a few shots of both. ↓

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty much how I did my '10 Charger, and my '07 Ram.

Prep the area to be tinted.
Spray the VHT to the darkness desired.
Lightly sand the tint to get a good bond with clear.
Apply several coat of clear (I used clear enamel, not VHT clear but any quality clear coat should do).
Wet sand the clear (the finer the grit the better, but make sure to keep it wet). If you start seeing tint in your water you've gone to far and need to reapply clear. The water should look milky not grey/black.
Make sure it's dry then buff with polishing compound. I found it easiest to polish while on the car/truck so you can put some pressure on it.
I skipped the glaze, but after buff, I applied a few coats of wax.

Mine came out glossy too. Here's a few shots of both. ↓

What did you do for prep? Sanding im assuming correct?

·
Registered
339 Posts
A tip: I experimented with an old trailer tail light. I had an old one lying around, so I saw what it looked with two light sprays. lit it with a 12v battery to see what it looked like when lit too. I think I went with 3 light coats. I still wanted a little red visible.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A tip: I experimented with an old trailer tail light. I had an old one lying around, so I saw what it looked with two light sprays. lit it with a 12v battery to see what it looked like when lit too. I think I went with 3 light coats. I still wanted a little red visible.
Thats what im going for... kittle bit of red but a definite tint

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes you have to prep the lens with sanding. I used 1000 grit to prep it with then wiped down with thinner to get the dust and any grease off the lens that may be there. Prepping is the most important. Without proper prepping you may end up with something you dont like or it may not stick good and peel off.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
What did you do for prep? Sanding im assuming correct?
Yes I taped off areas I didn't want tinted, then lightly sanded everything else. Clean it up real good to make sure there is no dust or residue prior to applying the VHT.

.....I think I went with 3 light coats. I still wanted a little red visible.
That's what I did on the Ram. My Charger was a little darker, but on both of those I left areas of uncoated lens so I had good clear LEGAL taillights. The Ram was almost like a blackcherry rather than blacked out. Not a bad option.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I wanted to color match the sides where could I find stell blue (pbm) paint in an aerosol can?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have found all my body colored paint at advance auto and autozone. They have the Dupli-color perfect match paint. They have it in acrylic lacquer aerosol cans. They also have clear coat in the cans as well. I have done alot of painting with the cans and they always turn out great and perfect match.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts