Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to leave the MDS in place when installing a 6.1 cam into their 5.7? I am about to install the 6.1 cam and was wondering if the MDS will still work. Looking at the specs from the 6.1 cam and the sidewinder, it looks like the 6.1 is actually a hair smaller than the sidewinder, so if MDS works with the sidewinder shouldn't it work with the 6.1? Any input would be great

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Try talking to moore0652 he may be able to help you out or check out his tread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to the top

·
Registered
423 Posts
I also will be installing a 6.1 cam, I guess whichever of us does it first should try it wth mds and let evrybody know...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Any of you guys out there with several cam swaps under your belt have an opinion here.

What's pushing me towards thinking it will work is the Sidewinder specs, if the Sidewinder is OK with MDS why would the 6.1 cam not be?

The 6.1 cam has the same LSA as the stock 5.7 cam and a little less lift and a bit less duration at .050 than the sidewinder.....thoughts?

Am I missing something logical here?

Who's gonna be the first to try MDS with a 6.1 cam??

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
MDS should not be an issue.You will find that the bottom end is non existent until about 4k rpm.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Chyrsler had a warning out earlier that the 6.1 cam could damage the lifters in a 5.7...I dont think it's a problem that it works, only that damage could occur over time..

·
Registered
423 Posts
MDS should not be an issue.You will find that the bottom end is non existent until about 4k rpm.
Non existent as in driveability is trashed or non existent as in no improvement in the bottom end?

What other mods did you run when/if you ran a 6.1 cam in your 5.7? What are you running now?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Chyrsler had a warning out earlier that the 6.1 cam could damage the lifters in a 5.7...I dont think it's a problem that it works, only that damage could occur over time..
OK so would the sidewinder also cause damage to the lifters over time? ??

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Non existent as in driveability is trashed or non existent as in no improvement in the bottom end?

What other mods did you run when/if you ran a 6.1 cam in your 5.7? What are you running now?
You have an intake manifold on the R/T that is designed for low end power.You are putting in a cam(6.1) that is designed for top end...4k and higher.So you will lose the bottom end grunt with the cam and the intake will restrict the top end pull the cam was designed for.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
An aftermarket cam will cause the MDS lifters to wear faster as they were not originally designed for a large cam.BUT.......there are plenty of sidewinders out there,some with 10-15k on them already.Whether or not the lifters are good to 100k with an aftermarket cam remains to be seen,but we do know just from measuring the MDS lifters there is plenty of room for larger cams.The roller on the lifter will wear the same as the non-MDS lifters.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You have an intake manifold on the R/T that is designed for low end power.You are putting in a cam(6.1) that is designed for top end...4k and higher.So you will lose the bottom end grunt with the cam and the intake will restrict the top end pull the cam was designed for.
1) That makes sense in theory but two other folks who have run or are running the 6.1 cam say the bottem end loss is not bad and the top end gain is HUGE!

What were your personal experiences with the 6.1 cam? How long did you run the 6.1 cam in your 5.7 before swapping it back out and what did you go to.

2) I thought the 5.7 and 6.1 intakes were the same except for the lines running differently? Can anyone shed some light here?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
1) That makes sense in theory but two other folks who have run or are running the 6.1 cam say the bottem end loss is not bad and the top end gain is HUGE!

What were your personal experiences with the 6.1 cam? How long did you run the 6.1 cam in your 5.7 before swapping it back out and what did you go to.

2) I thought the 5.7 and 6.1 intakes were the same except for the lines running differently? Can anyone shed some light here?
I do not have a 5.7.The people I know with the 6.1 cam in a 5.7 hated it unless they had a converter.
The 5.7 and 6.1 intakes are completely different.The runners on the 6.1 are much larger and longer.
All I can tell you is a Sidewinder will make over 325lbft at 3k rpm and stay fairly flat peaking in the 360-370 range with a cam only swap while remaining MDS friendly.I am sure the 6.1 cam will work with MDS but I don't beliee you will be happy with it.......IMO

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the input, hemi31.

Can anybody who has actually run the 6.1 cam chime in here?

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Have not read anything that says it does....just letting you know Chrysler issued a warning a year or so ago on the 6.1/5.7 swap....what Hemi31 is saying relates to what I have read.....the 6.1 cam may be good at the track but you may suffer on the street where it is light to light and low/mid range power makes the diff...

·
Registered
84 Posts
The 6.1L Cam will work with MDS, but due to the lift when it does go into MDS mode you have a noticiable loss in power and drivability. In essence you really "feel" it go into MDS mode. As far as what Chrysler says about damaging the motor, your lifters will be the first to go but that is over time. One thing that I have learned about Chrysler while working for them is that they believe that their car is built perfect so why would you want to mess with it. So whenever they hear about some popular aftermarket mod or anything they release a TSB about all the damaging effects it will have onyour vehicle. some may be true, most are not. that is why they try to make it next to impossible to mess with their stuff. ie complex computer systems. I have put 6.1L Cams in MDS vehicles with no problem before, but for me I just don't care that much about fuel economy over power. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
The 6.1L Cam will work with MDS, but due to the lift when it does go into MDS mode you have a noticiable loss in power and drivability. In essence you really "feel" it go into MDS mode. As far as what Chrysler says about damaging the motor, your lifters will be the first to go but that is over time. One thing that I have learned about Chrysler while working for them is that they believe that their car is built perfect so why would you want to mess with it. So whenever they hear about some popular aftermarket mod or anything they release a TSB about all the damaging effects it will have onyour vehicle. some may be true, most are not. that is why they try to make it next to impossible to mess with their stuff. ie complex computer systems. I have put 6.1L Cams in MDS vehicles with no problem before, but for me I just don't care that much about fuel economy over power. :)

Thanks moore, same here on the fuel economy. My only reason for retaining the mds is to prevent cell codes as a re-flash to the 6.1 software is probably not realistic for me as I don't know of anyone local who can do it.

As agressiviely as I drive, my mds doesn't see much use anyway.:knockout:

·
Registered
112 Posts
mtcraigo, there are other options out there that will effectively delete your MDS capability. The most economical is the Mopar PCM which comes with MDS disabled. For a more money you can go with a custom B&G tune.

The 6.1 cam swap is an economical choice but its pretty well known the current line of aftermarket cams run extremely hard down low/mid range/on top. I don't think I have seen any A to B comparisons in the LX platform at the track using this cam so it will be most interesting if you are able to document it.

IMHO it boils down to money....6.1 swap can be done for about 100bucks....the others will cost you around 400.00 - 450.00, prices based on you doing all the work yourself.

Good luck,

·
Registered
423 Posts
mtcraigo, there are other options out there that will effectively delete your MDS capability. The most economical is the Mopar PCM which comes with MDS disabled. For a more money you can go with a custom B&G tune.

The 6.1 cam swap is an economical choice but its pretty well known the current line of aftermarket cams run extremely hard down low/mid range/on top. I don't think I have seen any A to B comparisons in the LX platform at the track using this cam so it will be most interesting if you are able to document it.

IMHO it boils down to money....6.1 swap can be done for about 100bucks....the others will cost you around 400.00 - 450.00, prices based on you doing all the work yourself.

Good luck,
What does the mopar PCM run $$ ?? Also, is it compatible with the SC flashpaq? As I already have a flashpaq, I'd hate to toss the 3 bills I put into it. I wouldn't mind deleting the mds but I don't want to eliminate the use of my flashpaq to do it.

If the mds stays functional and cell free with the stock pcm and flashpaq. I'll probably be happy with that.

As far as better cams, yeah I would do the sidewinder in a heart beat, but I'm looking at doing a stroker kit and full blown build in another 18 mos or so and am just looking for some cost effective whuup-azz for now. I scored a 6.1 cam, lifters, springs and timing set for a bit over a bill, couldn't pass on that.:happy: If a sidewinder comes my way before the cam swap, I may still go that way, but I have a real curiosity to run the 6.1 cam and see how it does.

·
Registered
423 Posts
06hemiRT, I'd like to apologize for taking over your thread, I hope I didn't offend you. Didn't mean to, I'm just interested in the same thing. Forgive my bad manners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts