Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ,
So I'm planning on a Daily Driver to go back and forth to work. Right now I don't have the means to just go get another new or even used Truck or SUV right now but I'm working on it.

Our Parking lot at work has surrounding trees and I'm completely tired of the water marks, Pollen , tree leaves etc all over my car. It's black so it's even more annoying and I'm completely anal about taking care of it.

My Protection seemed to fail, I applied it back in October 2020 and have been putting toppers on it.
I need to do a full Strip wash, Claybar , Iron Remover and then a full Correcting compound polish and a new protection layer followed by a topper. I haven't decided what I wanna use. Griots Garage 3 in 1 Ceramic Spray wax did last like 7 months so that's not bad for a 1 coat protection spray.

So I think I also want to go pick up a outdoor car cover and use that as well to help get through this awful spring weather. Everyone is complaining at work about how dirty their cars are after parking there for the day or 2, don't let it rain it just makes it a lot worse.

So anyone use outdoor car covers? I don't need a super high end one as it's just going to be use a few days a week and then the car comes home, gets cleaned and goes inside the garage and stays there unless it's nice out and then I'll take it out. But right now if I leave it in my driveway more then 30 minutes , it's already getting a light green coat of pollen. I don't remember it ever being this bad but I had a White paint before Pitch Black.

Anyone else have Pitch Black and find it incredibly stressful to keep perfect? I knew what I was getting into my last Black car was a BMW 328i and it was also Black and pretty hard to keep nice.

I almost want to trade it in and get a White one.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Owning a black car is a labor of love. (I've only had black vehicles since 2007) I have 2 now, one of them stays outside 24/7, the other is garaged unless I'm driving it.

There is nothing that can be done to keep the pollen of of them. Even the garaged one gets covered. That one just gets dusted with a California duster once a week and washed after a track day. A year ago it got clayed, compounded, polished and 2 coats of NXT wax applied, haven't put anything on it since other than soap and water.

The one that stays outside got the same treatment last year. A month ago it got washed, speed clayed, and a coat of Mother's CMX on it (just to try it out) and I have to say I'm impressed.

I used it on my wife's new JGC (which is red) a couple weeks before I did my car and haven't put a wash mitt on it since. Foam gun on the garden hose, rinse it off and dry it.

I'm not saying it's the best thing since sliced wonder bread, but from someone who was cleaning at least 2 cars every weekend, it's pretty darn good.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Don’t cheap out on a car cover. You won’t like the results when you remove it.

Reactions: Mantis

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't use a car cover as I try to touch my paint as little as possible. I imagine that a car cover would induce swirls over time from rubbing across the surface of the paint with no lubrication.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Ok ,
So anyone use outdoor car covers? I don't need a super high end one as it's just going to be use a few days a week and then the car comes home, gets cleaned and goes inside the garage and stays there unless it's nice out and then I'll take it out. But right now if I leave it in my driveway more then 30 minutes , it's already getting a light green coat of pollen. I don't remember it ever being this bad but I had a White paint before Pitch Black.
I don't use one outside, but I do use them inside from time to time.

The one piece of knowledge I can share that translates from one to the other, is that the worst part about car cover use is starting to put it on and realizing that just enough dust and/or dirt has accumulated on the car that I'm worried about scratching it. Plus, once you get the inside of the cover dirty, good luck washing that thing. You can usually do it in a 50lb commercial washer, but you may destroy any chemical treatments applied to the cover. And drying it is another challenge.

As far as shopping for one, you'll want one that repels water effectively. Not all of them do, and there is quite a bit of non-standard terminology like "weatherproof" used to sell car covers.

Good luck!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Black is super nice looking when it is clean, keeping it that way is almost impossible. I have 2 Pitch Black cars that sit outside 24/7, one a Charger the other a Dart. Then I have a Redline 2 Durango, and a Plum Crazy Purple Daytona that get parked in the garage. Out of all of them the Durango appears to the untrained eye the most clean, followed by the Daytona.

The pollen here is an absolute nightmare right now, and when it rains it looks like it was taken off roading. All 4 of my vehicles have a ceramic coating, so cleanup is easier, but in between cleaning is torture. I cleaned up my Durango yesterday to get it appraised for a trade in soon for a 2021 SRT. It took less than 5 minutes to be covered in pollen again. My Daytona is covered in pollen as well, it was just cleaned and hasn't even left the garage since I cleaned it yet.

My only advise is to try a garden hose to rinse the pollen off, then blow dry the water off with a leaf blower, Master Blaster, etc. if you have the means to do that. I know on mine it is a lost cause as they stay outside and will be covered again after a few minutes, so I wait until they need a real cleaning. Here in the next month or so the pollen should stop for the most part, this time of year is always hell for dark colored cars.

As for car covers, you could do that but I imagine it isn't healthy for your paint. For starters I wouldn't trust it in the wind as that may possibly slap it up and down as well as it sliding around to an extent against the paint. And if it wasn't just washed before hand, the cover will probably grind in whatever is on the surface of the paint, especially if the wind blows the cover around. Over time it will probably have swirl marks and other damage all over the paint that will need correcting with a polisher. Where as if you didn't use one the damage wouldn't be there at all over the same time period.

Just my .02, take it as you will.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Have you considered using a Uber back and forth to work.
As a retired Used Car Recon man I will never own a black car.
My new Scat is white and it’s hard to keep clean however no swirls
I also use a product called Lustre and besides the shine all I need to wash the car is water.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A car needs to be clean to put a cover on it. If you intend to use one at work it'll get covered in small scratches in no time.
The biggest problem I have in our work parking lot is door dings and some people not giving a shit about other people's vehicles.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you buy a cover don’t go cheap buy and all weather cover about 350.
But unless the car is clean never use a cover !!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Spend the money and have paint correction and either a good ceramic coating or clear wrap the car.
Doesn’t matter what color your car is when it’s pollen time we all have green cars.
When that happens I rinse my car off every day the do it all over the next day.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Never thought about a wrap. That’s a great idea.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
My Super Bee is pitch black, my R/T was black crystal pearl, had a black Wrangler.

Dealing with black cars is like dealing with little kids. You gotta pick your battles. This time of year, you gotta let it go. There is NOTHING you can do about pollen. It gets EVERYWHERE. I won't even bother washing mine for another 2-3 week a yet. You can park in the middle of a Target parking lot with no trees in sight and you get a nice layer of pollen in 15 minutes. It's in the air.

You daily your car, so it's not like keeping it in the garage for 2 months this time of year is an option. Car covers still allow dust to settle. They're also a pain in the ass if your going to be taking it off and putting it back on several times a day.

I'd just say screw it, realize you're not going to win this battle, and wait another few weeks until all of the pollen settles and then get it nice and shiny.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The cover will cause as many problems as it will solve.

At some point you need to balance enjoying your car and worrying about the finish on your car. This time of year you need to let it go and do a full detail in a few weeks.

Or you could spend thousands of dollars on a beater car that you don't enjoy driving that likely is less safe than your Charger.... doesn't make much sense.

You buy a cool fun car to drive daily or you buy it to put it in the garage and rub with a diaper but it is hard to do both.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Yup. Move on with life. Obviously get any bird poop or sap that can etch the paint off asap, but that's about as good as it gets.

Ceramic coating will help make it easier to clean, but it won't prevent water spots or other damage. There just isn't a magic environment-repelling-force-field technology, no matter what the vendors of ceramic/graphene coating say. Same applies to any smear-on DIY coatings, waxes, sealants, and polishes. They're useful tools but they won't stop airborne pollen and general dust.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
The only good thing about black cars is when you get a small rock chip in the front you can whip out the pointed back Sharpie from the glovebox and do a fast touchup to cover the exposed primer until you can do a proper repair.

I've had my share of black cars in the past, and still have a black Mustang (exterior and interior). You never win with that color unless you encase it in a glass sealed display case. I used to get spastic over at the first sign of dust or road grim but gave that up years ago. If its dusty I use a leaf blower and blow off the crap as best as possible. If there is a swirl mark I leave it because it adds character. Not a Biff, anymore trying to conquer the black finish on a car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It’s just a car man. It’s a tool designed to get you to point A to point B. Just wash and wax it like normal and you’ll be fine. If it bothers you that bad, go find a $1000-1500 cash car like a civic or corolla, something that is reliable.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A car needs to be clean to put a cover on it. If you intend to use one at work it'll get covered in small scratches in no time.
The biggest problem I have in our work parking lot is door dings and some people not giving a shit about other people's vehicles.
People a me job know better. They all know I value my car and would have a serious problem is anyone did that to it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts