Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So anyways, I was wondering, being a newb with performance mods, I ordered the diablo yesterday and suddenly a question popped to my mind:
Why am I tunning my car?
Why DCX didnt do it first?
When tunning my car that will mean that I will adjust it to parameters that DCX did not intend at first, so does this means that my engine will age prematurely because of the use of tunning?
I dont know, I guess Im paranoid.... any opinions on the subject?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Ask Arfur - he'll tell you all sorts of things, and use big fancy words to boot!

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
So anyways, I was wondering, being a newb with performance mods, I ordered the diablo yesterday and suddenly a question popped to my mind:
Why am I tunning my car?
Why DCX didnt do it first?
When tunning my car that will mean that I will adjust it to parameters that DCX did not intend at first, so does this means that my engine will age prematurely because of the use of tunning?
I dont know, I guess Im paranoid.... any opinions on the subject?
1) it's tuning! :D

2) Yes - it is perfectly possibly to wreck an engine is you are able to over-ride the manufacturers limitations.

If you are able to get the red line to 'disappear', then you could blow the engine. However, even if you are able to more the red line back 2-300rpm, the effect is quite large WRT the extra strain on the engine, as the stress will be in line with the V^2 part of the equation (an increase in the velocity of the rotating/reciprocating components will be a 'squared' effect - which means only small increases do make a big difference).

DCX would have put together a package that gives you looks, power and longevity. If you play with the limits to increase the operating envelope, you will (in all honestly) reduce the life of the car/engine etc. Guess you've just got to be careful!

Basically, if you adjust parameters on the engine (such as max rpm) and you go to that new limit, you will reduce the life of the engine. This would depend on the amount of times you do it - the more you do, the more the premature wear. :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Damn!!! Now you made me think twice about raising my shift points!!!! From first to 2nd i am shifting at 5800, from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th I am shifting at 6000 RPM... What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) it's tuning! :D

2) Yes - it is perfectly possibly to wreck an engine is you are able to over-ride the manufacturers limitations.

If you are able to get the red line to 'disappear', then you could blow the engine. However, even if you are able to more the red line back 2-300rpm, the effect is quite large WRT the extra strain on the engine, as the stress will be in line with the V^2 part of the equation (an increase in the velocity of the rotating/reciprocating components will be a 'squared' effect - which means only small increases do make a big difference).

DCX would have put together a package that gives you looks, power and longevity. If you play with the limits to increase the operating envelope, you will (in all honestly) reduce the life of the car/engine etc. Guess you've just got to be careful!

Basically, if you adjust parameters on the engine (such as max rpm) and you go to that new limit, you will reduce the life of the engine. This would depend on the amount of times you do it - the more you do, the more the premature wear. :)
But arfur, what If i dont want to mess with shifting points, what if I just upload the 91octane program on my car? would that also affect the engine longevity?

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Regarding engine longevity, are we talking about going from an estimated life of, say, 200k miles to 175k, or more like 200k -> 100K?

BTW - I made up the 200k miles part, just looking for some type of comparison.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I thought there was a setting they have programmed called performance and you just load that and it does everything they have tested to be safe and then you can also tune above and beyond that to your discretion? Is that not the case?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh my God.... I've discovered something I might not even like!..............
I just wanted to have better performance and engine efficiency but now im afraid

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I would say don't be afraid, just be careful. I, too, have never had a tuner. I plan to stick with the canned tunes, at least for now.

Some of the benefits should be immediately available without getting too crazy. With the adjustability this tuner gives, I'm sure you can get into a lot of trouble if you don't know what you're doing. That said, I think the canned tunes are designed to get you a decent bang for your buck without being so edge-of-the-envelope that you could damage your car.

Honestly, I'm more concerned that I'll take torque management off and significantly shorten the tranny's life. I'll bet there's a lot of room in engine capability to take advantage of, but with all of HAL's conservative programming I wonder if the tranny is able to take all that the engine can dish out. I'm sure we'll find out pretty soon. :)

Hope this helps at least a little.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah, don't be afraid. Use the built in programs and you should be fine ... Just grab life by the horns lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
i found your questions more than logical.
you have to be mature and look things from outside first.
you have (we all have) a really strong muscle car, why you have to mod something that is ready fast? to increase what? 20 40 HP? how many cars you bid daily on the streets?
at less in my experience, nobody wants even to look at my window , they know i gonna win, so... they keep distance, save the money for an srt8
they are talking about 35k for the srt8 2008, or get exterior mod first, spoiliers, vents, tires, whatever
dont play with 30 k if you dont know how to do it
best wishes

·
Registered
253 Posts
you have (we all have) a really strong muscle car, why you have to mod something that is ready fast? to increase what? 20 40 HP? how many cars you bid daily on the streets?
at less in my experience, nobody wants even to look at my window , they know i gonna win, so... they keep distance, save the money for an srt8
they are talking about 35k for the srt8 2008, or get exterior mod first, spoiliers, vents, tires, whatever
best wishes
toooo painful to read, someone decipher please.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oh my God.... I've discovered something I might not even like!..............
I just wanted to have better performance and engine efficiency but now im afraid
Get a dyno-tune. I would not even attempt a tune with doing all your bolt-ons first. Headers, exhaust, CAI, gears, all that comes into play with a tune.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
best wishes
yea... that way u can play with your more expensive car?
logic = fails.

this is the performance board. i guess your not interested. why are you here?

·
Registered
609 Posts
You'll be fine. As long as you maintain you're car it will last a long time. Anything that adds power, will technically reduce your total engine life. You're spinning the rotating assembly harder, faster, etc. If you get on it hard all the time, that's going to reduce engine life. It all comes down to how YOU treat YOUR car. As far as the tuner goes, so far, none of the tuners do anything so radical that it will drastically reduce your engine life. However, making frequent redline passes, and driving a stock Charger(regardless of model) like a maniac, will yield a much shorter life than a modified, and "tuned" charger, that is pushed hard from time to time.

·
Registered
928 Posts
exactly, do you plan on reving your car out to redline all the time? how bout even 10% of the time? no way. dont worry about it, the ultra minimal ammount of time that you will be spending above the pre set shift points isnt somthing that you should worry about. and im sure most of us dont haul ass from stoplight to stoplight so its not going to make much of a diffrence. take care of your car and it will take care of you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow... thanks to every1 guys! :D I kinda feel better now.... you guys are right its not like Im with WOT all the time, so I think the tuning experience will just improve my driving experience with my charger!
thanks y'all! :D

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
These cars were meant to be maxed out. These programmers have been around for so long for other cars, that if they really made a differance to engine life, you would really hear about it.

You could screw up your engine without programming, so have fun with mods.

-Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts