Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Corsa catback for my R/T and was possibly getting the Kooks long tubes. I'm waiting on a friend for pricing with the Kooks, but I was wondering....if I get these 2 installed, how do I "tune" the car as everyone says. I've heard a lot about the Predator and the wonders it works for increasing performance capabilities, but is there somewhere you can just go to get tuned? If so, is it expensive? Or should I just invest in the Pedator?

I am just a little afraid of messing around with the car's computer myself. I don't wanna throw something off by doing something stupid with the Pedator.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That's a good question. I have the superchips tuner which only gives generic (canned tunes) so can't really comment on the Diablo. However, with all teh parameters you can adjust - i have heard of people messing things up.

I don't think you can go wrong with purchasing the product. However, i would recommend purchasing it from one of the vendors with excellent support, willing to walk you through some of the changes you may be making. (even if it comes at a higher price tag)

Otherwise, call around local performance shops and talk to them. Ask what it entails and how much $$.

Good luck & happy tuning

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
so...yeah...probably best not to tune your own car if you have internal engine mods like cam and heads. Even the kooks can cause a lean situation, so a tuner isn't a bad idea.

Two exist today, Superchips - basically a flash for the PCM with very little TUNING capabilities for fuel, spark, etc..

DiabloSport Predator will allow for greater flexibility and - there are CRM Tuners that can use the predator type tuning to make the necessary adjustments to get your car running at peak performance safely.

Contact James at Pro-Motion Tuning to discuss tuning.
Contact Josh and High Horse Performance for the tuner...he sells both SC and Diablo...pretty sure I know which one he'll suggest.

Good luck.

DJ

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Just buy a predator and use one of the predator canned tunes. It won't cause any harm at all. You will see some really good gains. If you wanted to see more gains, you could put the car on the dyno and have a professional tune it more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you're getting headers you definetly want to get in touch with a CMR tuner.
Promotion Tuning has the most exper today and can even email tunes for lightly modded cars.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're getting headers you definetly want to get in touch with a CMR tuner.
Promotion Tuning has the most exper today and can even email tunes for lightly modded cars.
How much would a custom tune go for from them?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
129 aint bad at all! When I do my cam I will HAVE to do this. BTW I feel that a rpedator is a MUST have to the most than lightly modded engine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just buy a predator and use one of the predator canned tunes. It won't cause any harm at all. You will see some really good gains. If you wanted to see more gains, you could put the car on the dyno and have a professional tune it more.
Definately don't do that, jump right to the CMR tune done by a pro. The first idea is a good path to having to buy a new engine. :dead:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
What jaak said. CMR tuning will be more than $129 on a dyno, unless they get it done in an hour...which is unlikely.

With long tubes, the a/f will likely be leaner...but once they get the a/f in the mid to high 12's, you can likely add more spark without getting knock since you are scavenging exhaust MUCH more efficiently. The VE (Volume Efficiency) tables, spark, fuel, adaptives are crucial to tuning these cars.

So...you want to be safe...get the cmr dyno custom tune.
you want to make more power...same thing.
You want to aim blindly into the personal thumb tune from the driver seat....good luck, be careful, be afraid...very afraid ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What jaak said. CMR tuning will be more than $129 on a dyno, unless they get it done in an hour...which is unlikely.

With long tubes, the a/f will likely be leaner...but once they get the a/f in the mid to high 12's, you can likely add more spark without getting knock since you are scavenging exhaust MUCH more efficiently. The VE (Volume Efficiency) tables, spark, fuel, adaptives are crucial to tuning these cars.

So...you want to be safe...get the cmr dyno custom tune.
you want to make more power...same thing.
You want to aim blindly into the personal thumb tune from the driver seat....good luck, be careful, be afraid...very afraid ;)
Where do I get a dyno custom tune? I am new to the car world so I don't know if there is anyone in my area. I'm from Queens, NY.

·
Registered
99 Posts
There's a couple of ways of going about it....

You can look up tuners on Diablo's site www.diablosport.com, or check out site vendors.

While ideally, it would be good to have the tuner at the dyno, it is possible to work with one remotely. With a dyno plot and A/F plot provided, a tuner can get you in a healthy tune. If you log information during the run as specified by the tuner, and send it to them, they can help you dial it in further, as well as help with general drivability.

Andy at PPP did my tune by remote. I went to the dyno three times, $75/hour each time, as well as logging some driving conditions and not only did he optimise my tune for max power, he smoothed it out off idle and gave me the stock throttle response (which I prefer over the twitchy Diablo response).

I even have a performance tune, and a winter driving tune that has full torque management turned on, for those crappy winter snowy days.

But the best part? I know my timing and A/F ratio is safe and I'm not going to toast my engine.

If you want to try tuning yourself, at the bare minimum you need to put in an A/F meter in your exhaust, pre cat, and log data, AND understand what you're looking at...

Fortunately, out of WOT, your O2 sensors and knock sensors are going to help protect your car, but in WOT, you could run lean and start to cook things. The worst part is, you can think you're ok, but be doing the damage slowly. Until all hell breaks loose, and you're coughing up money for a trashed engine.

Search the forum (and others) for people that are doing tunes... There's a number posted. Then give all them a call, don't commit to anything, and just see how you feel about each. I don't think any of the ones that are posting tunes are bad, so it may be a matter of price/convenience/comfort with the vendor.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts