Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my question is that since i have a black car and it gets dusty really quick. i usually just wipe the car down with a soft micofiber towle to get the dust of real quick. i was told that this can cause scratches on the car, is this true? or can i continue to wipe the car down without water. any help is appreciated. thank you

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
With the duster you have to do it like almost every day so the dust don't build up to be to much and like every third day use something like quick detailer so the oil from the duster don't build up attracting more dust and a build up in the area. This is what I did for awhile when I had my WS6 T/A, usually you could get away with about two-three weeks before you had to wash it! And it didn't cause scratches. But if your car is in the elements all the time forget the duster.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
so my question is that since i have a black car and it gets dusty really quick. i usually just wipe the car down with a soft micofiber towle to get the dust of real quick. i was told that this can cause scratches on the car, is this true? or can i continue to wipe the car down without water. any help is appreciated. thank you
Actually, the best way to answer this question is to go look at your car! Do you see any scratches? If you do (taking into consideration that you know how to find them), then you know one way that it is happening. I can tell you that if you are using one MF towel to do the whole car when it is pretty dusty, then you are definitely creating scratches. When the car is really dusty, you are better off washing it. Or, at least rinse it off and dry it with a MF and some Waterless Wash.

As for the California Duster, it really has gotten a bad rap from people using it wrong. If used correctly, it will NOT scratch your paint whatsoever. Also, it won't leave any oil on your car if prepped correctly. When it is new, you are supposed to sit it on a short stack of newspapers so that the newspapers can soak out all the excess oil from the duster BEFORE you ever use it. If this is done correctly, then there will be no issues with oil depositing on the paint.

Personally, If I use something like the Waterless Wash to do the entire car, I accept the possibility that I may find some finite scratches in the paint. I try and avoid this by using quite a few MF towels as they get dirty. It is not a major concern to me however because I can easily remove said type of scratches with a quick trip around the car using my PC, a white pad and some Fine Machine Polish.

That air compressor suggestion is a good one. Anytime you can avoid actually touching the paint is good for the paint. :)

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Actually, the best way to answer this question is to go look at your car! Do you see any scratches? If you do (taking into consideration that you know how to find them), then you know one way that it is happening. I can tell you that if you are using one MF towel to do the whole car when it is pretty dusty, then you are definitely creating scratches. When the car is really dusty, you are better off washing it. Or, at least rinse it off and dry it with a MF and some Waterless Wash.

As for the California Duster, it really has gotten a bad rap from people using it wrong. If used correctly, it will NOT scratch your paint whatsoever. Also, it won't leave any oil on your car if prepped correctly. When it is new, you are supposed to sit it on a short stack of newspapers so that the newspapers can soak out all the excess oil from the duster BEFORE you ever use it. If this is done correctly, then there will be no issues with oil depositing on the paint.

Personally, If I use something like the Waterless Wash to do the entire car, I accept the possibility that I may find some finite scratches in the paint. I try and avoid this by using quite a few MF towels as they get dirty. It is not a major concern to me however because I can easily remove said type of scratches with a quick trip around the car using my PC, a white pad and some Fine Machine Polish.

That air compressor suggestion is a good one. Anytime you can avoid actually touching the paint is good for the paint. :)
JM, I must have not prepped mine correctly, I can't recall the process but I think I just sat it on and old terry cloth towel over night? I liked it but you had to stay on top of the car to keep it for getting too dusty but it did keep water off of it for two-three weeks!! You are the guy, BTW!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
JM, I must have not prepped mine correctly, I can't recall the process but I think I just sat it on and old terry cloth towel over night? I liked it but you had to stay on top of the car to keep it for getting too dusty but it did keep water off of it for two-three weeks!! You are the guy, BTW!!:bigthumb:
You're right, you have to stay on top of it. If in the garage, once, maybe twice a day. At a car show? Once every half-hour. At a car show on grass? Fugetaboutit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts