Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Brilliant Black 2011 R/T Plus AWD a few weeks ago and have been reading tons of info about washing my car and protecting the paint as much as I can. This is a Daily Driver for me so I realize I may not be able to keep it looking like a show car and may have to do more to keep it looking good.

But unlike what seems a lot of people here who live in nice warm climates, and have nice cozy garages for their cars. I live in NJ and know this car is going to get snowed on and driven in the snow which also means nasty Salt and Slush....

So what do you all recommend for winters I figure I should get a good wax or other type of protectant on the car before winter. But then should I just avoid washing it untill I can do a 2 bucket wash, or is the salt and stuff so bad that I should try to clean it off as much as possible?

I've heard a bunch of people talk about Zaino would something like that be a good protectant?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length of the post :confused:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome!

Be sure to post some pics.

I have a feeling that the Junkman will be in here soon with some tips for you.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Welcome.

When the Junkman speaks, wise people listen....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I would def. like to hear what the Junkman says, I've read through a bunch of his posts and watched a bunch of his videos, and have a couple of grid guards, wash mits, and a foamer on the way.

But I feel like winter will be a whole other ballgame.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Me personally I would Wax just prior to the winter season. And frequently wash car with undercarriage blasting.

If you have a garage. That would be Ideal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me personally I would Wax just prior to the winter season. And frequently wash car with undercarriage blasting.

If you have a garage. That would be Ideal.
What type of wax would you recommend?

A garage would be ideal and I will be able to put it in a Garage for big storms but its so small of a garage that you can barley walk around the car when its in it and you wouldn't be able to wash or do anything to the car when its in it.

What I am thinking is a good wax and or sealant of some kind, then over the winter try to find a self wash type place, or one of the completely touch-less car washes, where even if I can't get a good wash to get all the dirt off I would be able to at least clean of most of the salt with out having any brushes ect leaving marks, then only do a full actual wash when I can do a full two bucket wash.

But like I said really have no idea what type of wax/sealer to use, would something like Zaino be a good protectant or is it really just for giving a polished look?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
What type of wax would you recommend?
Easy, A SEALANT.

Sealants offer the longest lasting protection out of all waxes on the market. Thus, you want to get at least 2 coats of a quality sealant down, and then use a quality wax on top of that sealant. Sealants have to cure so this process may take the better part of a week to perform completely. I use a combination of Machine Super Sealant topped off with Americana Carnuba Paste Wax. If you check out this thread, you will see why I do it this way as the protection is very impressive.

As for washing the car, you can use a high pressure hand wand to knock off the salt and dirt but whatever you do, do not hand dry the car. It will not be clean and using any type of towel will grind the dirt that remains behind right into the paint. By the end of winter, your car's paint will look like the Tasmanian Devil took toe tapping lesson on it. Use that method until you can do a proper 2-bucket wash. A 2-bucket wash is the ONLY way to safely wash a car, which will limit the possibility of paint damage. There is no safer way to actually get the car completely clean AND limit the amount of damage to the paint.

I have to feel for you guys who can't wash your car in your garage as I do year round. Sticking your hand in a bucket of water when the temps are below freezing is crazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Junkman, Yeah I am def. jealous of your spacious garage with a drain!

Do all sealants need to be applied with a machine? are their any decent ones that can be applied by hand?

Otherwise I may have to bite the bullet on one or see if I can borrow one.

Thanks again....saw you did a clinic in Jersey about a year ago, can't wait till you come up this way again.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I can't speak for how all sealants are applied but with the cost of a PC and everything that you can do with it, that makes it a no brainer of an investment for your car. It's not like you are only going to use it once or that it only works on one car, that thing is built bullet proof and will last for many years. You can even find them used.

As for Machine Super Sealant, one bottle of that stuff should also last you for years. So many people look at the prices and think that it is a costly investment. If they realized how much they product you get for the price, they would jump on a bottle of that stuff. Sealants must be applied in very thin layers and since they protection last so long, a 16 ounce bottle goes a looooooong way.

I don't know when I'll ever make it back to Jersey. I am pretty much being flown around by private organizations and car clubs. Usually, they don't open them up to the public. They're kinda stingy with me. :cowsmile:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the reply Junkman, Yeah I am def. jealous of your spacious garage with a drain!

Do all sealants need to be applied with a machine? are their any decent ones that can be applied by hand?

Otherwise I may have to bite the bullet on one or see if I can borrow one.

Thanks again....saw you did a clinic in Jersey about a year ago, can't wait till you come up this way again.
I don't think there are any sealants that need to be applied with a machine, but like The Junkman said, there are many other uses for a polisher, and applying a wax/sealant is one of them.

Sealants like Blackfire wet diamond, Menzerna Powerseal, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant require very little effort to use. Just apply and remove when it's ready.

Sealants like Opti-Seal, and Ultima Paint Guard Plus can be applied and then they are done. Wipe on walk away, no buffing to remove. Sealants are much easier to use than waxes and most of the time will last longer.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I don't think there are any sealants that need to be applied with a machine, but like The Junkman said, there are many other uses for a polisher, and applying a wax/sealant is one of them.
Machine Super Sealant definitely needs to be applied with a machine, thus the name. It is applied in very thin layers and this explains why it is so thick. I would be leery of any sealant that doesn't have to cure as the curing process is when the bonding to the paint happens.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Machine Super Sealant definitely needs to be applied with a machine, thus the name. It is applied in very thin layers and this explains why it is so thick. I would be leery of any sealant that doesn't have to cure as the curing process is when the bonding to the paint happens.
I didn't know that was required your product. I do know it makes spreading sealants thinner *easier*, but so does knowing how to apply it correctly.

Here is OptiSeal, definitely a sealant car enthusiasts should have.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-seal.html

·
Registered
2,747 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Will a good waxing do the trick for the winter, or is a sealent heavily recommended? I will be waxing my car this weekend in preparation for winter and was wondering if doing a good job on the waxing will be fine.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
First off, nothing is guaranteed to last the entire winter. There are many factors to consider. Snow, salted roads and temperatures have a lot to do with how long the wax will last. However, one thing that definitely rings true is that a sealant is the longest lasting protection that you can apply. So the decision you have to make is which sealant you want to apply. This video series shows what I do AND how effective it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts