Charger Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I pulled them up on Tire Rack and they look like good tires. However, I haven't read a tread life warranty like this before. And they also recommend replacing them when tread reaches 5/32 but I really wonder if they will prorate the tires with that much tread life left on the tires if someone takes them up on the recommendation. I know Discount will not prorate unless the tread is 4/32 or less.

"6 Years / 40,000 Miles (when worn to 2/32" depth) Half mileage for rear if different size than front Must be used during winter months only 9/1 to 4/30"
I agree it might be tricky.... but I don't think any other real winter tires has any mileage warranty whatsoever. I tell you I used mine for 5 years and over 40k miles and I was down to about 5/32 and that last winter they were noticeably worse than the first 4 but still better than any all seasons. I sold my 2006 in February and ended up getting a new set for my 2019. I would have bought a new set regardless for the following winter. You can't let winter tires get down a low as you would on a summer set that is for sure. Many winter tires actually only have winter compound the first few mm and then wear down to more of an all season type rubber once you get past 5/32 anyway.

It goes without saying to get them off the car before you start getting hotter weather.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm still on the fence between the Blizzak and Xice. (IceX?) I have the Blizzak on the Miata and have been happy so far with the traction/performance so far. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, snow depth is the limiting factor, especially with the Miata. I still have some time to think about this since it's still pretty early in the snow season. That and my rims aren't here yet.

Between these two which one is more expensive? The Michelin? Are there any others to consider? Cooper perhaps?
IMO the Michelin XIce and Blizzak WS80 are top of the class and most hard testing proves that (go check out TireRack and other reviews with real world testing). Because the XIce Snow is brand new and they claim it to beat the Xi3 I'd go with that one. In all the WS80 vs. XIce Xi3 tests I've seen they give the nod to the WS80 in deeper snow and the nod to XIce on icy situations.

The fact that there is a mileage warranty on the Michelins makes me feel they'd last longer but I also haven't run them so hard to say!

The rest of the Cooper, Goodyear etc. all seem to be low cost options that I doubt would last 5 years 40k miles and they test demonstrably worse to begin. I never try to be penny wise and pound foolish on tires, if it costs you an extra $150-250 up front but you get better performance and 5 years out of them vs. worse performance and 3 years, you're still ahead of it in the long run.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought a set of police wheels (18") and put some 225/60 Firestone Winterforce tires on them. Always loved Winterforce or Cooper Weathermaster tires, but couldn't get them in the OEM 235/55 size. The 225/60s fit great, and in love the softer compound tires for the deep snow and long winters here in Buffalo. Had them on my 2008 Charger SXT AWD, 2013 Charger R/T RWD, and now on my 2015 AWD 300.
RWD doesn't hold a candle to AWD for winter traction, but the tires make a big difference. Near the end of the 2nd season, they were a bit worn and the 3rd year they were pretty rough, but I put on a lot of miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’ve been trying to figure out winter tire options for my 2020 widebody scatpack charger. The car came with upgraded “3 season” pirellis (been wondering what that means) but I’m assuming they’ll be no good in snow or low temps in Chicagoland area. So it seems there’s only 1 winter tire that’s oem 305 width size and that’s a $600+ winter pirelli which I’m not trying to pay for. If I wanted to get the Blizzak or Michelin, what size do I get without drastically throwing off speedometer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. Which would be the best brand/model winter tire for my 2019 RT? My first winter with it. Thank you for your recommendations.
Owned two Chargers while living in Wisconsin. I've used Goodyear WRT ice and snow on steel rims. These are same tires used in Police service in the Cascades and Rockies. They are excellent, never got stuck or had sliding issues. Tire Rack has them in their winter tire packages.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Michelin XIce Xi3 on dedicated set of 18'' rims

For my RWD I use the OEM 18'' R/T / SXT with Michelin XIce Xi3 for winter and 20" from Mopar'11 for rest.
Deep snow on the flat surface - the car able to take somehow.
To stop in time or prevent fishtailing - possible, just need to be very accurate, maintain slow speed range, proper distance, constant turn radius and speed.
Icy snow on the uphill traffic light or stop sign - could be very problematic.

·
Registered
580 Posts
21 - 28 of 28 Posts