Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. Which would be the best brand/model winter tire for my 2019 RT? My first winter with it. Thank you for your recommendations.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Gratefull73: Where do you live? Winter tires to me in Texas are Conti DWS. Winter tires to someone in the snow belt might be Blizzak. In Calif it might be a set of Pireli

·
Registered
690 Posts
My standard advice is to buy an OEM set of 18x7.5 wheels, I got these for $400 shipped to my door and they were in Mopar boxes (with Chrysler center caps though).

Over the long haul it is much more cost effective to run 18 inch winter rubber which is much cheaper than the more "performance" oriented 20 inch tires. The initial cost to buy is lower plus they last much longer if you get the right tire. Speaking of the right tire it is the Michelin XIce Snow which replaced the XIce Xi3 this year. I bought this set in February shortly after buying my 2019 and it was the last of the Xi3 batch. The XIce Snow is supposed to be better all around. They wear great with a real mileage warranty that you don't see on other snow tires. On my 2006 I got 5 seasons out of the XIce (I drive about 15k annually and have them on around 6 months so about 45k miles). IMG_2537.jpg

Having a second set of wheels also saves wear and tear on your 20 inch wheels and you don't need to rip them off and replace every 6 months. If you have the garage space it is easy to just swap them when needed and lets you wash and detail the set that comes off too!

I run the 225/60/18 don't be afraid of a skinny winter tire, it does better at getting down to the pavement in slush. You don't want a wide contact patch in this case... plus with the 18s you get some more sidewall for the winter potholes too!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Gratefull73: Where do you live? Winter tires to me in Texas are Conti DWS. Winter tires to someone in the snow belt might be Blizzak. In Calif it might be a set of Pireli
Good point.... most people asking I assume they actually see sub zero weather and snow!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Racing slicks.

Just kidding. I agree with POWERMAN - blizzaks.
And agree with suggestion from BigMO6R/TAWT doing a dedicated set for winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My standard advice is to buy an OEM set of 18x7.5 wheels, I got these for $400 shipped to my door and they were in Mopar boxes (with Chrysler center caps though).

Over the long haul it is much more cost effective to run 18 inch winter rubber which is much cheaper than the more "performance" oriented 20 inch tires. The initial cost to buy is lower plus they last much longer if you get the right tire. Speaking of the right tire it is the Michelin XIce Snow which replaced the XIce Xi3 this year. I bought this set in February shortly after buying my 2019 and it was the last of the Xi3 batch. The XIce Snow is supposed to be better all around. They wear great with a real mileage warranty that you don't see on other snow tires. On my 2006 I got 5 seasons out of the XIce (I drive about 15k annually and have them on around 6 months so about 45k miles). View attachment 295185

Having a second set of wheels also saves wear and tear on your 20 inch wheels and you don't need to rip them off and replace every 6 months. If you have the garage space it is easy to just swap them when needed and lets you wash and detail the set that comes off too!

I run the 225/60/18 don't be afraid of a skinny winter tire, it does better at getting down to the pavement in slush. You don't want a wide contact patch in this case... plus with the 18s you get some more sidewall for the winter potholes too! View attachment 295185
Thanks for all that great information!

·
Registered
151 Posts
A third vote for the Blizzaks (WS80's for me). I have them mounted on inexpensive 18" cast wheels. Not only is the switchover easier by having separate wheels for the snows, but you don't expose your good 20" wheels to the salt and crap that they put on the roads in the winter. My car is 5 years old and the wheels still look like new. I ran all seasons on my previous Charger and by the second or third year, the OEM wheels looked pretty bad, not to mention the lousy traction. I think my RWD Charger with the Blizzaks is almost as good in the snow as my wife's Chrysler 200 FWD with all seasons.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 is always on top of Google search results for winter tires. I find this tire quiet compared to Michelin and Firestone. Make sure that the alignment is good if you are planning to install it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blizzaks is almost as good in the snow as my wife's Chrysler 200 FWD with all seasons.

Over the long haul it is much more cost effective to run 18 inch winter rubber which is much cheaper than the more "performance" oriented 20 inch tires. The initial cost to buy is lower plus they last much longer if you get the right tire. Speaking of the right tire it is the Michelin XIce Snow which replaced the XIce Xi3 this year. I bought this set in February shortly after buying my 2019 and it was the last of the Xi3 batch. The XIce Snow is supposed to be better all around. They wear great with a real mileage warranty that you don't see on other snow tires. On my 2006 I got 5 seasons out of the XIce (I drive about 15k annually and have them on around 6 months so about 45k miles). View attachment 295185

I run the 225/60/18 don't be afraid of a skinny winter tire, it does better at getting down to the pavement in slush. You don't want a wide contact patch in this case... plus with the 18s you get some more sidewall for the winter potholes too! View attachment 295185
Do you recall the site where you found the inexpensive oem set of rims? Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
This was 5 years ago (when I bought my 2015 Rallye). At the time, Tire Rack had a relatively inexpensive set. I ended up getting my tires from a local tire store and bought the wheels from them.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Do you recall the site where you found the inexpensive oem set of rims? Thanks
I sent you the link via a conversation it was off of Ebay. I'm not affiliated with the seller or anything just don't want people think I'm promoting an ebay ad.

They came shipped in OEM Mopar boxes dated 2011 but the wheels were mint. I'm guessing this seller (who sells all sort of OEM stuff) just bought out the warehouse.

·
Registered
690 Posts
A third vote for the Blizzaks (WS80's for me). I have them mounted on inexpensive 18" cast wheels. Not only is the switchover easier by having separate wheels for the snows, but you don't expose your good 20" wheels to the salt and crap that they put on the roads in the winter. My car is 5 years old and the wheels still look like new. I ran all seasons on my previous Charger and by the second or third year, the OEM wheels looked pretty bad, not to mention the lousy traction. I think my RWD Charger with the Blizzaks is almost as good in the snow as my wife's Chrysler 200 FWD with all seasons.
I can run circles around almost any FWD car with all seasons unless they are the newer "all weather" mountain flake symbol all seasons. Seriously the Michelin XIce Xi3 is like a mountain goat in slush and ice... the only time reviewers say the Blizzaks are slightly ahead is in deep snow. I'm rarely ever in fresh deep snow it is more of the black ice and slush. When I am in deep snow usually it is ground clearance that gets you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I sent you the link via a conversation it was off of Ebay. I'm not affiliated with the seller or anything just don't want people think I'm promoting an ebay ad.

They came shipped in OEM Mopar boxes dated 2011 but the wheels were mint. I'm guessing this seller (who sells all sort of OEM stuff) just bought out the warehouse.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD
34 Posts
+1 for the Michelin X Ice. When I lived in the central Rockies, i ran them on several cars, including an AWD Charger, and when they were on, snow and ice were no problem.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I pulled them up on Tire Rack and they look like good tires. However, I haven't read a tread life warranty like this before. And they also recommend replacing them when tread reaches 5/32 but I really wonder if they will prorate the tires with that much tread life left on the tires if someone takes them up on the recommendation. I know Discount will not prorate unless the tread is 4/32 or less.

"6 Years / 40,000 Miles (when worn to 2/32" depth) Half mileage for rear if different size than front Must be used during winter months only 9/1 to 4/30"

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm still on the fence between the Blizzak and Xice. (IceX?) I have the Blizzak on the Miata and have been happy so far with the traction/performance so far. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, snow depth is the limiting factor, especially with the Miata. I still have some time to think about this since it's still pretty early in the snow season. That and my rims aren't here yet.

Between these two which one is more expensive? The Michelin? Are there any others to consider? Cooper perhaps?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still on the fence between the Blizzak and Xice. (IceX?) I have the Blizzak on the Miata and have been happy so far with the traction/performance so far. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, snow depth is the limiting factor, especially with the Miata. I still have some time to think about this since it's still pretty early in the snow season. That and my rims aren't here yet.

Between these two which one is more expensive? The Michelin? Are there any others to consider? Cooper perhaps?
Thank you for your feedback. I found some inexpensive Blizzaks that are XL rated. Is that an issue or deterrent?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts