Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be purchasing either a set of the Mopar Police wheels or a set of the 06-07 R/T wheels for use during winter here in Michigan. The Mopar's are tempting because they are steel and we always seem to have the problem with pot holes here in the winter/spring, but I'm a bit worried about them rusting out after a few winters. The R/T's are nice because they keep the stock look and won't rust out, but are more expensive.

I have a 2009 R/T with the Road & Track package and need a suggestion for a winter tire for these wheels, both of which are 18"x7.5". I was looking at the Blizzaks, but I wanted to know if there was a better choice out there for me? This car is my daily driver and I drive 65 miles a day mostly on freeway and main roads. The problem is that our road crews here are sometimes not able to keep up with the snow (because of "budget issues" in Wayne county) so I end up having to drive through it.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
believe it or not, Nitto Invo's are amazing in harsh weather (although not advertised as "winter" tires). my ultimate plan is to get newer rims, use my stock ones as winters with 4 Invos all around and have my others with staggered NT05's

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
If you want a cheaper snow tire that isn't going to break the bank look at the Firestone Winterforce M+S tires in 225/60/18. $88 a tire when I bought them

They aren't a "winter perfomance" tire like the blizzaks so they probably aren't as nimble on dry pavement. They are great in deep snow, they aren't an ice tire but can be studded at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
This year I will be looking into winter tires for my Daytona :sad:

I'll keep an eye on this thread as well...thanks.

I hear the Blizzaks are at least one of the best tires out there for our cars.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
yeah those things have a TON of tread on them lol

Yup. :yes:

Sipes are good for ice and the blacks are nicely spaced for deeper snow...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have Hankook winter iPike (no studs) and I found them to be really good last winter in a snowy climate up here in Canada....

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I have Hankook winter iPike (no studs) and I found them to be really good last winter in a snowy climate up here in Canada....

Those look really good...and they are studdable. How much were they?

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
I ran a set of Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2's last winter on my stock
R/T rims and they were great in the snow. I think I paid about $110
each. I didn't put studs in them, buy you can if needed.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I ran a set of Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2's last winter on my stock
R/T rims and they were great in the snow. I think I paid about $110
each. I didn't put studs in them, buy you can if needed.
Without the studs...how were they in icier conditions?

Yes, I think they are studable. I got them last Sept from BC and got free shipping all the way accross Canada to Newfoundland (pre winter sale). Here is the link. I don't remember paying that much though, maybe a few dollars less per tire...

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Hankook&tiremodel=W409+Winter+i*Pike
Thanks!

Now about sizes...what size is everyone running on their 18s? Is 225/60 the norm or do they even sell winters in 235/55 form or even 255/55??? Hey...gimme a break! I will be using my Daytona for the first time this winter!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone! I'd love to see some snow tires that to replace my 245/45-20's for the winter, but that won't happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts