Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you people use for winter tires on your RT?

I live in canada so I need something good. I also have a superchip with which I can change the diameter of the tires I use.
Any tips?

·
Registered
453 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used the 235/60-18 Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires on my Magnum RT last year. MUCH better in the snow/ice than the factory Continental's. Good stability at speed and in the dry. Basically an aggressive all season tire. Here's what they look like...

If you're looking for all out snow tires, get the Bridgstone Blizzak DM-Z3 in the same size. These are ~$20 cheaper per tire also.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just bought the Winterforce snows from the Tire Rack for $88 each. Pure snow tire should get you out of any trouble.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
The stock all-season Michelin's were no good in the snow. :no:

Get a good set of snow tires and you should be fine. The favorites seem to be Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Latitude X-Ice. I got the Blizzaks due to the raving reviews from fellow LX owners and had no problems driving last winter.

Don't wait too long into the season to purchase winter tires. Since there is a limited selection of winter tires that fit our cars, both tend to sell out for the season. Of course, this depends on how severe the winter turns out and if a good sale price happens early.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22497&highlight=winter+tires+bridgestone

·
Registered
174 Posts
What do you people use for winter tires on your RT?

I live in canada so I need something good. I also have a superchip with which I can change the diameter of the tires I use.
Any tips?
I got Blizzaks last fall and they are doing a good job in slippery conditions. Good grip & noise level, works good on snow & ice.

The side walls seem to be soft, however, so they do change the car personality. I missed my stock rims&tires the day I put them on and looked forward to spring time to put my summer tires back on.

For me, safety comes first, so there is no way I would drive in winter with summer or all season tires, even if the winter setup takes away some of the driving experience.

...Ben...

·
Registered
159 Posts
i went with the goodyear fortera tripple treds they have an excelent snow and wet rating they are some nasty tires man got the xl rated ones

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yeah, i coudn't get blizzaks when I was ordering last year and got Continental Conti-Winter-Contact things TS790 V-Rated tires. Yeah they weren't so good.

So get those Blizzaks asap.

And make sure you get police package steelies!! so cool

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can you run winter tires in the offseason? :) Meaning summer/spring with no ill effects? I'm due for new tires as the Conti's have 35k on them and am really starting to notice some bad hydroplaning. I live in Minnesota, so a good pair of winter tires would be nice this season, unlike the factory Conti's which I had last year.

I really don't want to get a set of winter tires though, and then have to get another "All-season" set come spring.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Can you run winter tires in the offseason? :) Meaning summer/spring with no ill effects? I'm due for new tires as the Conti's have 35k on them and am really starting to notice some bad hydroplaning. I live in Minnesota, so a good pair of winter tires would be nice this season, unlike the factory Conti's which I had last year.

I really don't want to get a set of winter tires though, and then have to get another "All-season" set come spring.
I don't recommend running winter tires during the spring/summer. :no: The compound that they use for winter tires are not made to handle the high temps of spring/summer season. 2 things can/will occur: (1) unusually fast tire wear (2) blowout a tire because temps are too high for spring/summer.

DCX put all-seasons on the Charger figuring most owners would need to drive during all seasons but nothing beats a good set of winter tires for the winter.

Which would be cheaper for you? A beater car for the winter or a set of snow tires? That's the dilemma I had last winter so I feel your pain. :yes:

·
Registered
159 Posts
go for the forteras im telling you they will do you proud come winter and youll love them in the summer they have a very high snow and ice rating

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The stock all-season Michelin's were no good in the snow. :no:

Get a good set of snow tires and you should be fine. The favorites seem to be Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Latitude X-Ice. I got the Blizzaks due to the raving reviews from fellow LX owners and had no problems driving last winter.

Don't wait too long into the season to purchase winter tires. Since there is a limited selection of winter tires that fit our cars, both tend to sell out for the season. Of course, this depends on how severe the winter turns out and if a good sale price happens early.
I have the Blizzaks, and I'm entirely happy with them. And, they're not too much of a compromise for day-to-day driving. Just don't keep them on when it warms up, as "winter" tires are designed for cold temps.

It's most convenient to get extra rims to mount them on, so you can swap yourself. I'd never want my tires to have to be mounted / remounted all the time - expensive, and I wouldn't trust the wear and tear that would cause.

I don't have it with me and I'm too lazy to search it right now, but there are part numbers for the steel rims (cop rims), TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensors) and the lug nuts and center caps if you choose to use those too.

Other useful items: a good floor jack (don't forget these Chargers are 4xxx pounds, sorry I don't know the metric weight), jack stands (at least one), a torque wrench for 110 ft/lbs (sorry, again I don't know the metric measurement), and some better than factory lug nuts. I have a box of Gorilla nuts ready for the next time my factory rims go back on - I'm too nervous the factory nuts will not hold up to repeated mountings / dismountings.

Any alternative meanings to the words used in this post are purely coincidental. ;)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Yeah, i coudn't get blizzaks when I was ordering last year and got Continental Conti-Winter-Contact things TS790 V-Rated tires. Yeah they weren't so good.

So get those Blizzaks asap.

And make sure you get police package steelies!! so cool
Yeah, I remember that! Some guy got the last set of Blizzaks right before you called.

You don't remember who that was do you? :no::embarrese

For the record, I still feel bad about that.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yeah, I remember that! Some guy got the last set of Blizzaks right before you called.

You don't remember who that was do you? :no::embarrese

For the record, I still feel bad about that.

Yeah, that guy I bought tires from had some disparaging things to say about this shady fellow :dog:

So you get your winter tires on yet? I went ahead and did it last weekend since I figure waiting is going to spell disaster.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
The forteras are nice tires. Keep in mind that those are meant for light trucks, not cars. So they'll be a bit noisy and I wouldn't go trying to carve any corners with them on sunny days. :)

I'll concur with the other folks that are pointing towards the Blizzaks for winter tires. Get a set of extra rims and the blizzaks and you'll be good to go.

Best,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts