Charger Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
December purchased 4 Blizzaks and wheels from Tire Rack. I have a 2016 Charger R/T R/T. I live in Minnesota and have had no problem with the rear wheel drive. I downsized 20" to 18" but kept rolling diameter the same. Their Great!
Which size did you get? 235/60R18? The recommended tire size for the SP is now 235/60R18 or 255/55/R18. I went with 225/60R18 (WS80) on my SP and they seem to be wearing more quickly than the 235/55R18 (DM-V1) that I ran on my RT.

GTO_04
That's because there's MORE POWER. :)

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm sure that has something to do with it lol. Maybe the extra weight is a factor too.

GTO_04
Yeah my 225/60/18 are holding up fairly well. The Xice 2 seem to have a bit harder compound then Blizzaks but at the expense of some traction. I was at a stop light yesterday on a backroad and a wild hair got my foot a little happy. I punched it while in auto stick letting the car shift at redline. I think I went a 1/4 mile before she hooked up. lol. Left a cloud of salt and smoke in my rear view. I was lmao cause she just wouldn't hook. Skinny tires and hp don't mix. :driving:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yeah my 225/60/18 are holding up fairly well. The Xice 2 seem to have a bit harder compound then Blizzaks but at the expense of some traction. I was at a stop light yesterday on a backroad and a wild hair got my foot a little happy. I punched it while in auto stick letting the car shift at redline. I think I went a 1/4 mile before she hooked up. lol. Left a cloud of salt and smoke in my rear view. I was lmao cause she just wouldn't hook. Skinny tires and hp don't mix. :driving:
Skinny tires are a mixed bag. Handling not so good, tread wear maybe not so good either, and traction issues depending on dry or snow covered pavement.

My Blizzaks are at 8/32" and the winter tread indicators are very close to the surface, but the tires are still working well on ice and light snow. Maybe I'll make it though this winter without having to replace them. When I replace the WS-80, I'm going to the DM-V2. The tread life was better with the DM-V1 and it was an excellent winter tire. There is no way I'm getting more than two seasons out of this set of WS-80 tires. They have performed well, but (fortunately) I have not had a chance to try them in deeper snow yet.

I have considered the Xice Xi2 due to the longer tread life. It's that old traction vs. tread life trade off. The Xice is a great tire all things considered.

GTO_04

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yeah my 225/60/18 are holding up fairly well. The Xice 2 seem to have a bit harder compound then Blizzaks but at the expense of some traction. I was at a stop light yesterday on a backroad and a wild hair got my foot a little happy. I punched it while in auto stick letting the car shift at redline. I think I went a 1/4 mile before she hooked up. lol. Left a cloud of salt and smoke in my rear view. I was lmao cause she just wouldn't hook. Skinny tires and hp don't mix.
Skinny tires are a mixed bag. Handling not so good, tread wear maybe not so good either, and traction issues depending on dry or snow covered pavement.

My Blizzaks are at 8/32" and the winter tread indicators are very close to the surface, but the tires are still working well on ice and light snow. Maybe I'll make it though this winter without having to replace them. When I replace the WS-80, I'm going to the DM-V2. The tread life was better with the DM-V1 and it was an excellent winter tire. There is no way I'm getting more than two seasons out of this set of WS-80 tires. They have performed well, but (fortunately) I have not had a chance to try them in deeper snow yet.

I have considered the Xice Xi2 due to the longer tread life. It's that old traction vs. tread life trade off. The Xice is a great tire all things considered.

GTO_04
Next go around I'll be getting 235 or maybe even 245. Not as good at cutting snow but dry traction should improve. It's not very often I have to drive in deep snow. Been such a easy winter here snow wise I may put the all seasons back on next month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Next go around I'll be getting 235 or maybe even 245. Not as good at cutting snow but dry traction should improve. It's not very often I have to drive in deep snow. Been such a easy winter here snow wise I may put the all seasons back on next month.
I wanted to do something unusual so I put BFG A/T KO2's(245/65/17) on my rear axle, they are a truck tire, but they fit on my 2014 charger, so why not. I've only been stuck once because I got ****y and high centered. Because of the aggressive side wall tread of the KO2's they dig well in the deep stuff, and the large surface gets me decent traction on the dry roads. My only regret, leaving my radials on the front axle. Pros: looks badass, bites the snow well, and the large tires provide a little extra ground clearance. Cons: Unexpected understeer(still have radials on steer tires) and reduced fuel mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see that Discount Tire sells Nokian Tires. Some of the stores in my area actually have their Hakka winter tires in stock. They are supposed to be outstanding in the snow. They are $195 each though in the Charger size, about $40-50 more per tire than the Blizzaks.

GTO_04
So the Nokian tire has "SUV" in the name and is marketed as a tire for SUVs. To be sure I ready you correctly, these tires do fantastic on your Charger, right?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put a pair of blizzaks on the back of my Crown Victoria, got about 5 miles on the highway before I turned home as the rear tires were far softer and flexier than the fronts. Back in the day you could mount just rear snows, not with the tires they make now. I am in the Boston Mass area, and we have plenty of hills you have to climb and real deep tread snows are required IMHO My charger handles the snow better than any of my RWD cars so far

·
Registered
790 Posts
I put a pair of blizzaks on the back of my Crown Victoria, got about 5 miles on the highway before I turned home as the rear tires were far softer and flexier than the fronts. Back in the day you could mount just rear snows, not with the tires they make now. I am in the Boston Mass area, and we have plenty of hills you have to climb and real deep tread snows are required IMHO My charger handles the snow better than any of my RWD cars so far
It has always been a terrible idea to put on two snow tires instead of 4. The front tires are critical when it comes to turning and braking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What brand of winter tires did the OP go for? I had the Pirelli Winter SottoZero3 on my Charger last winter. It's worth the money.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
What brand of winter tires did the OP go for? I had the Pirelli Winter SottoZero3 on my Charger last winter. It's worth the money.
I don't know how you would get an answer to that question. He hasn't been seen here in more than three years.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So the Nokian tire has "SUV" in the name and is marketed as a tire for SUVs. To be sure I ready you correctly, these tires do fantastic on your Charger, right?
Correct. The tires size commonly used on the Charger in winter happen to correspond to SUV tire sizes.

GTO_04

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had the sottizero2 bout half tread left

on my Craigslist wheels More of a highway tire, handled better than the Goodyear RSA They didn’t handle deep snow as good as my new Sumotimos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts

These are my current snow tires sumitumo ice gards do notice flex on off ramps but aggressive tread gets it done

·
Registered
790 Posts
Interesting wheels do you know the stats on those? They look like 18x8 based on how the 225/60/18 sits on there. Outside of the rusty center nipple they look good!

My winter set up doesn't stand out too much unless you notice the Chrysler center caps on the Challenger Rallye wheels (Michelin XIce Xi3 tires):

·
Registered
107 Posts
The wheels are from a early 300 where peeling chrome with flat Chrysler centers. The guy sand blasted and painted grey can’t read any marks assuming 18x7.5 Fit perfectly ride straight. I couldn’t find another center the same size I painted em

·
Registered
790 Posts
Oh sure now that you say they were chrome that makes sense.... I still don't remember that big center cap but that style with chrome on an early 300 fits. Must be 18x7.5 then.

I think these are the wheels: Used ALY2278 Chrysler 300 RWD Wheel Chrome Clad #1DL04TRMA

They used to have that big Chrysler center cap you mentioned and were that chrome clad.

They look great repurposed, I always like OEM wheels for the durability.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts