Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2014 Charger and I need to get some snow tires. Can I buy just two tires for the rear wheels since it's RWD? Also, can I have studded snow tries? What is a good winter tire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
You would do better to do 4 snow tires. It would do you no good to have excellent traction push you off the road because the front tires couldn't get a grip.

Sorry, can't offer advice on brands since I've never run snow tires. However, Continental makes an excellent tire, and they make snow tires. They're also a German brand, and Germans know a thing or two about making a tire that can handle snowy roads at high speeds. I do not recommend snowy roads at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Telco is absolutely correct. You can get two, but get a set of 4, even though it's a RWD. As far as brands go, you can check the tirerack dot com as they give their ratings for the best types of tires. As far as studded tires, you would have to check your state's laws. Some states ban them.

Reactions: Douglas Cartier

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Hi Doug:
+3 on putting them at all 4 corners. The idea behind this is so that both ends of the car will have equal grip in inclement weather as well as normal weather.
The snow or (now called) winter tires of today are made with tread compounds that remain softer at temps under 45 degrees so they have better grip than all season tires that get harder, and have less grip when temps drop. Thus, the name change referring to a tire better suited for colder temps as well as snow during the "winter" season.

When my wife had her 05 Grand Caravan, I had a second set of steel wheels and 4 Firestone Winterforce tires for it since we live in the country. With those, we went where ever we needed to go. You will experience a higher noise level due to their more aggressive tread, but the difference is real and worth it if your DD is a RWD car.
A bonus of the second set of wheels is that you can swap them yourself as needed, and they will last longer as well.

Don

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
as others have said, get 4....front tires do all the steering and 70% of the braking, so they need grip as bad as the rears. I've run cooper weathermaster STII's, they were good...if you want an all season that works as good as a snow, get some Nokian WRG3 All Weather tires. they grip like snows, but are a year round tire. Nokian is a Finnish company, and those scandinavians know a thing or two about cold and ice.

https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-wrg3-suv/

we've run nokians on my wife's minivan for 7 years now and they've been fantastic.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Quad the vote for all 4. makes a big difference when braking and cornering. I run Michelin x ice and really like them a lot. Quiet for a winter tire and have decent tread life.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I know that your question has been effectively answered Douglas but I will chime in nonetheless.

I used to run all seasons on my cars because it seemed more sensible to me. I mean, they are called "ALL SEASONS" for a reason - why buy another set of tires and then pay twice a year to have your tires changed over. Didn't make any sense!

Now when I bought the charger, the dude I bought it from threw in a set of winters on steel rims at a discounted price. So I took them. It is a world of a difference I tell you!

I was even lamenting to my wife that I can't get my car to slide like I used to. I have to really try to get a little fish-tailing. It is AWD but even with the ESP off (key-turn and all) she drives like a tank in the snow. So now, I'm a believer!

And yes, if your gonna get winter tires, get a set of rims for them. Let the tire guys make their living off the un-married women folk. You are a man! Change your own damn tires!! :)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
get 3 tires; because you don't need to be making left turns in the snow .

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I garage my Bee in the snow, but have a beater Jetta that I have 4 snow tires on. I run Cooper WeatherMaster ST2 and they're great. Quiet in dry conditions, and good in snow. They're not too pricey either, think I paid $360 with install. Granted the larger diameter and width of Charger wheels will probably up them a bit, but still cheaper than Blizzaks or X-Ice and do just as good of a job IMO.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Put 150lbs of tube sand in the truck and you might not need winter tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I drove all seasons for 8 years in my '08.
Picked up a used set of Blizzak winters and steel rims for my '15 and its a totally different car in the snow.

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
as others have said, get 4....front tires do all the steering and 70% of the braking, so they need grip as bad as the rears. I've run cooper weathermaster STII's, they were good...if you want an all season that works as good as a snow, get some Nokian WRG3 All Weather tires. they grip like snows, but are a year round tire. Nokian is a Finnish company, and those scandinavians know a thing or two about cold and ice.

https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-wrg3-suv/

we've run nokians on my wife's minivan for 7 years now and they've been fantastic.
I see that Discount Tire sells Nokian Tires. Some of the stores in my area actually have their Hakka winter tires in stock. They are supposed to be outstanding in the snow. They are $195 each though in the Charger size, about $40-50 more per tire than the Blizzaks.

GTO_04

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Snow/winter tires vary in price just like other tires. So depending on the severity of your winter weather, may influence your decision.

I'm in the Nokian Haakapialita CR3 camp, on all 4 corners. I just put them on my DD van and wow, just wow. Never felt more connected to the road in winter, ever.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dammit, you guys are really starting to sell ME on these things, and I live in Oklahoma where snow is a two week event spread across three months.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have a set of the new Continental DWS 06 All season tires on my 300 C. While the regular DWS tires were great on the SRT for the past 6 winters, the DWS 06 on the 300 C are even better.

Great tires in the Dry, Wet and Snow. I highly recommend them.

Attachments

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
DWS's are great. I can confirm the excellent performance in winter weather, snow and ice. I will say I don't get much life on them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzaks

December purchased 4 Blizzaks and wheels from Tire Rack. I have a 2016 Charger R/T R/T. I live in Minnesota and have had no problem with the rear wheel drive. I downsized 20" to 18" but kept rolling diameter the same. Their Great!:grin2:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
December purchased 4 Blizzaks and wheels from Tire Rack. I have a 2016 Charger R/T R/T. I live in Minnesota and have had no problem with the rear wheel drive. I downsized 20" to 18" but kept rolling diameter the same. Their Great!:grin2:
Looks like your first post. Welcome to the forum. Go introduce yourself to the group in the New Member Introductions thread. :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Which size did you get? 235/60R18? The recommended tire size for the SP is now 235/60R18 or 255/55/R18. I went with 225/60R18 (WS80) on my SP and they seem to be wearing more quickly than the 235/55R18 (DM-V1) that I ran on my RT.

GTO_04

1 - 20 of 42 Posts