Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a 2006 sxt rwd. This is my first rwd, I usually had awd vehicles. My rim size is 17in, and the factory tire size says 215/65/17. I can really use some help on what size and type of tire to get. I've narrowed it down to a Blizzak or studded winterforce. Do I have to stay with the factory size tires. I've read that thinner tires are better for snow. I live in WV so the snows can get pretty bad. Where I live it is a dirt road for about 1/2 mile before I get to blacktop. Where I pull my car in to park usually gets icy, that's why I was thinking the studded tires, but sometimes there isn't that snow if any snow on the ground. I was wondering if the studded tires would be more harm on the clearer roads with handling. Has anyone have either of these 2 tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can I go with a 215/60/17 Tire. I found some general altimax arctics, but the closes size they have is this one.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
215/60 is a shorter sidewall than the 65, so your speedo will be off. Your tires will be rotating more, because they will have a smaller circumference, so it will be showing that you are going faster than your actual speed. Your speedometer will be showing a 3.12% difference. In other words, when your actual speed is 60 mph, your speedo will be showing 62 mph, thus putting more miles on your car than you actually are.
Also, what is meant by "thinner" tires that is the first number. 215 is the tread width, so the tires you are looking at are the same as your stock width. I would stay with the stock width. Not sure what size rim width you have and if they would take "thinner" tires safely. Maybe some others will chime in with more experience with that issue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I found some 215/65/17 general artics. I think that's what I'll go with

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question. Since it's a rwd, would I need to put studs on the front tires too. Sears told me that I would ruin the transmission if I studded the back and not the front. My thoughts are that your front is the braking so on ice I'm sure the studs will help there, but for the majority of the time if there is no snow, without the studs it would be better braking. Is this right or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Studded tires have been illegal here for decades. I have no personal knowledge to offer on this setup, but I would think that if you go that route, then they should be used all the way around for safety reasons. I have found nothing mentioned anywhere about ruining transmissions with studs only on the rear of a RWD car.
This is from Cooper Tire's website....
If studded winter/snow tires are installed on the front axle of ANY vehicle, studded winter/snow tires must also be installed on the rear axle. Do not apply studded winter/snow tires only to the front axle.
If studded winter/snow tires are installed on the rear axle of ANY vehicle, it is strongly recommended that they should also be installed on the front axle. Only if studded winter/snow tires are installed on all wheel positions of a vehicle will optimum handling characteristics be achieved.
So it looks like many places will only sell you a set of 4 studded tires, due to liability reasons should there be an accident resulting from there only being two studded tires installed on a car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I really appreciate all the help going to get all four tires studded. You guys are going to get sick of me here is another question those that have a Predator do you used to throttle booze in a negative instead of positive
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have the same sizes rims. I bought Blizzak's in the same size as well.
This is my second season on them with no troubles at all.

As for the studded tires: some states allow them for winter use.
Just be sure to read up on the trade offs... if you plan on getting them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Studded tires have been illegal here for decades. I have no personal knowledge to offer on this setup, but I would think that if you go that route, then they should be used all the way around for safety reasons. I have found nothing mentioned anywhere about ruining transmissions with studs only on the rear of a RWD car.
This is from Cooper Tire's website....
If studded winter/snow tires are installed on the front axle of ANY vehicle, studded winter/snow tires must also be installed on the rear axle. Do not apply studded winter/snow tires only to the front axle.
If studded winter/snow tires are installed on the rear axle of ANY vehicle, it is strongly recommended that they should also be installed on the front axle. Only if studded winter/snow tires are installed on all wheel positions of a vehicle will optimum handling characteristics be achieved.
So it looks like many places will only sell you a set of 4 studded tires, due to liability reasons should there be an accident resulting from there only being two studded tires installed on a car.
It is surprising that studded tires are prohibited in both MI and WI. They are actually legal in Indiana from November to April IIRC. If you choose to go with studded tires the Winterforce would be a good choice. They get very good reviews and are inexpensive.

I run Blizzak DM-V1 tires (235/55R-18) and have been very happy with them. Their traction on ice is nothing short of amazing!

GTO_04

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm a little late on this, but here's my 2 cents:
Winterforces are great tires - I actually changed tire size on my '14 R/T just so that I could get them - they didn't come in 235/55R18, but they did come in 225/60R18, so I got those. A little more narrow, a little taller - between that and the softer compound, made my ride a little soft and wiggly, but they push through the snow, kick it off the tire, and get down to the road pretty good.
Had studded snows (can't remember if they were Winterforce or Cooper Weathermasters) on my LeSabre (front wheel drive) a while back, but I seem to remember the tires spinning a lot whenever they could get to wet pavement without any snow, and basically just grinding the studs off of them... I've been going studless ever since, and it's been working out just fine.
I'm up here in ski country in western NY, by the way... we get a lot of snow, lol.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up getting the general artics. Got stud's on the rear only. So far doing really well. Drives like a tank on ice haven't tested to much in the snow yet. My driveway collects water and had about a 10 yard 2 inch ice patch. The wife's 4 runner was spinning in 4 wheel drive in it until she hit dry spot. The charger went right over it no problems. Not even kicking in the traction control. I also have my diablo boost set to negative 20%.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts