Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an '06 R/T this past spring. Wondering how these RWD puppies handle in the snow & ice. :confused: Do any of you fellow North Esterners have any tips? Have you had any major issues with handling or safety? :driving:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Snow tires. I made it through with good all seasons last winter, but I WISH I had bought snow tires. I will be this winter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dread did you have any issues with your allweathers, or do you just want to upgrade?

Snow tires. I made it through with good all seasons last winter, but I WISH I had bought snow tires. I will be this winter.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Yea I did too. Also will be too I've been saving all Summer to get a nice set of winters this year. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,652 Posts
I drove my 2007 R/T through 4 Canadian winters with no issues.

2 of those winters with a 43 mile commute each way to work and never missed a day. I passed countless acccidents and cars in the ditch every time it snowed. Was never a victim myself.

A set of dedicated snow tires and some common sense and you should be just fine.

:driving:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought some blizzak ws60s two winters ago and its amazing the difference they make. I'm in southeast Michigan so we don't get tons of snow, but we had quite a bit this past year and I never had any problems getting around.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I've driven my '06 Daytona through five Indiana winters...no troubles at all...I don't even run snow tires on it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did go off the road back in February, but that wasn't the cars fault, that was because I flunked lunch and go snow-blind and couldn't tell where the road was.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Like Flex says, common sense and a set of snow tires is what you need. Slow down, leave lots of space, assume you can't stop. The biggest difference I found with winter tires was that I was never in danger of getting stuck at a poorly plowed stop sign or similar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like Flex says, common sense and a set of snow tires is what you need. Slow down, leave lots of space, assume you can't stop. The biggest difference I found with winter tires was that I was never in danger of getting stuck at a poorly plowed stop sign or similar.
Yes...Anguish...this is what I was getting at...how good/bad is traction etc on slippery roads, intersections, etc.?

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
If my lowly V6 can handle snow storms and driving through ice covered mountain roads, I think your R/T will be just fine in the snow :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
You could put sandbags in your trunk. Or something equally heavy. Also if your ride is lowered and you usually get lots of snow, you might want to think about raising your car back to its factory height lol. I know I'm never going to get lowering springs cause I probably wont make it out of the driveway in winter when the plows come by.

Winnipeg winters are horrible, and this will be my first year driving with a RWD vehicle, I am definitely saving for snow tires.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My all season tires did really well for what they were, but they were also brand new at the time. A problem I encounter a lot is not being able to make it up a driveway or hill after stopping at an intersection for a traffic light. Unfortunately I have no choice about these things. With the all seasons I was able to muscle my way up both, but it took a while, wasn't safe, and bad for the vehicle. Having snow tires won't make it perfect, but MUCH easier than inching up a hill or driveway while your car is sideways. Also, stopping can be an issue (yeah yeah, I know its snow/ice, I mean more than usual). The car is heavy enough to push through some surprising amounts of snow, we just need the tires to back it up or we get suck as sh*t. This will be my 3rd winter with the car...it took me this long to convince myself that I need snow tires...after ending up on a tow-truck last winter because the trans wouldn't shift past 2nd gear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im from New Brunswick, Canada. We get A LOT of snow here. Last year 40cm of snow every week for a couple months. The reality is, its a RWD vehicle with a lot of weight in front end. If you just get mild snow, Winter Tires, some extra weight in the back and drive careful and you will do great. If you're further north with a heavy winter id suggest a winter beater vehicle thats 4x4

·
Registered
9 Posts
From Calgary alberta here. As everyones said. Winter tires. Be easy on the gas. Last year was my first year driving RWD in winter and I was dreading it. It's a lot of fun to be honest. Just watch out for those flat curbs.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Well being from northeast Ohio I've driven in snow, and a lot of it, all my life. We get lake effect snow here (not like Buffalo, but still a lot more than other areas), and I've had minimal problems. These cars are very well balanced, and with a good set of snow tires they aren't bad. You're biggest problem is that giant mound of snow on the side of the road created by the plows. It makes it nearly impossible to get over them to get into a driveway. The biggest reason for that is because it is usually the heavy slushy stuff, and we don't have the most ground clearance in the world. In all they aren't bad. I know people complain about it, but the traction control works very well. There are times when you'll need to turn it OFF to get going. If you're in a really slick spot the TC will reduce torque to the tires trying to prevent them from spinning and you'll have almost no power as a result. In those cases you'll need to turn the TC off until you get rolling. Then turn it back on and take your time getting where you're going.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've driven mine through several Alberta winters. Never a real problem other than the occasional slip. ESP works wonders for me. I agree with everything that's already been mentioned but I'd like to add that I personally find driving with the auto stick made a big difference compared to automatic. I could feel a difference. Second gear saved my ass a few times in really slick, scary spots.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Shots and Synner...great tips :bigthumb:...will def keep in mind. Hopefully I can afford some snow tires, but I may have to "go it alone" this winter...I didn't put any money aside! :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Advice on driving a Charger in the snow? Don't.
Only SLIGHTLY kidding here. My SRT8 SUCKS in the snow even with Blizzaks on. I came from owning a Toyota FJ Cruiser and boy do I miss that truck every time I see white on the ground. I've owned over a dozen vehicles including rear wheel drive, front wheel drive and 4-wheel drive and my charger by far is the worst of all of them in the slippery stuff.
I still wouldn't trade her in though since she is the most fun I've had on 4 wheels (sometimes two) in a long, long time.
If I lived where snow were on the ground for long periods of time I would definitely reconsider my vehicle choice but here in NYC they get the mess cleaned up pretty quickly so I only have to suffer for a few days at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
Shots and Synner...great tips :bigthumb:...will def keep in mind. Hopefully I can afford some snow tires, but I may have to "go it alone" this winter...I didn't put any money aside! :rolleyes2:
Keep an eye on the for-sale areas here and on other LX forums. Sometimes people trade in their cars or for other reasons have reasonable prices for rims and tires. If you get in at the right time you can get yourself a deal.

Advice on driving a Charger in the snow? Don't.
Only SLIGHTLY kidding here. My SRT8 SUCKS in the snow even with Blizzaks on.
And there you have evidence that things like this are highly personal. One person's "reasonable" is another person's "unacceptable". Your mileage will vary.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.