Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Central Illinois, we are about two months away from snowy weather, and I am about to experience my first winter in my Charger SRT8. A second car is not an option at this point, and my SRT8 is my sole source of transportation. Since some of you have driven your SRTs in snow, I would love to hear your suggestions. My biggest concerns are:

TIRES-What would be the best tire to get that would also be good for winter driving? My stock tires are scary in rain, so I could only imagine how they would be in snow and ice.

FRONT END CLEARANCE-I have to avoid parking curbs, low spots in roads and steep driveways as it is, but what about driving in deep snow? How have some of you dealt with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Put some 33s on there. Mudders will do you right. LOL

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Snow is still a couple of months away? Must be nice. I think we have about 6" on the ground at the moment. I parked my SRT8 on October 19th and won't be able to drive it until next spring. The main reason I park mine is because they use gravel here. It gets too cold for salt to melt the ice, so they use gravel for traction instead. It cost me $1200 in paint repairs when I drove my Daytona for only half a winter.
Also, when they clear the roads here, they do it one at a time, which means you're often left with curb sized ruts that will easily rip the front end off your SRT...

As for winter tires... I like Michelin Alpins for snow / ice and have heard you can drop down to an 18" rim depending on the style...

·
Registered
489 Posts
If you have RSA's you will be ok...forget the F1's in the snow and cold. You have a little over 7" of clearance on the front fascia, and you do not want to use it as a snow plow...also, watch curbs as those wheels will nick real easy. I drove my Bee last winter in Chicago and had no problem....you just have to take it easy, and the ESP will work real well.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Here in Central Illinois, we are about two months away from snowy weather, and I am about to experience my first winter in my Charger SRT8. A second car is not an option at this point, and my SRT8 is my sole source of transportation. Since some of you have driven your SRTs in snow, I would love to hear your suggestions. My biggest concerns are:

TIRES-What would be the best tire to get that would also be good for winter driving? My stock tires are scary in rain, so I could only imagine how they would be in snow and ice.

FRONT END CLEARANCE-I have to avoid parking curbs, low spots in roads and steep driveways as it is, but what about driving in deep snow? How have some of you dealt with this?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Pirelli Scorpions work great and fit your car

Stay far away from the Goodyears under 40 degrees.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Leave the car parked at home and get a ride or take a day off!

I take my Chrysler Aspen SUV, never a clearence problem!

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MCaesar-What size Scorpions do I need?

440-6GTX- I work 35 miles from home, so getting a ride is not an option, nor can I afford a second vehicle. It's not like I plan to drive through a snowstorm like I did with my R/T last year (it did fine, by the way). If the weather gets too bad out, I will call in.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, keep them coming!

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I were you, I would seriously consider buying a $2k "reliable" beater before I pumped $1200 into winter tires and rims. You'll avoid winter wear & tear, and the added depreciation that goes with it.

Fitzman

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
If I were you, I would seriously consider buying a $2k "reliable" beater before I pumped $1200 into winter tires and rims. You'll avoid winter wear & tear, and the added depreciation that goes with it.

Fitzman
No way

1. Who wants to drive a beater
2. I would rather the safety of a my two ton charger
3. I could care less about depreciation. I am never selling this car.
4. Winters aren't that harsh around here.
5. Car drives great in the snow

These things are only cars and I drive every mile out of mine.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Buy yourself a set of the police rims and a set of winterforce tires. Very aggressive. I just got them all delivered today. $70 for rims $70 for tires & $29 for sensors. Prices are each. Its nice to work for B/F!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Buy yourself a set of the police rims and a set of winterforce tires. Very aggressive. I just got them all delivered today. $70 for rims $70 for tires & $29 for sensors. Prices are each. Its nice to work for B/F!!
IIRC Winterforce and Blizzaks are identical tires made by differant manufacturers.

Where can you get the "police" wheels?

And since I'm new to the Charger, Magnum cars, whats the sensors for?

·
Registered
377 Posts
IIRC Winterforce and Blizzaks are identical tires made by differant manufacturers.

Where can you get the "police" wheels?

And since I'm new to the Charger, Magnum cars, whats the sensors for?

Winterforce & Blizzaks are 2 different tires made by the same manufacturer. The reason I know is because I work for the manufacturer. "Police Wheels" are the black steel wheels. Got them from the dealer. Sensors are part of the tire pressure monitoring system. I don't want to look at the light being on for 5 months so I bought an extra set for the snows.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would love to go that route, but I was told that the police rims won't clear the Brembo brakes on the front. Not too long ago, I saw a set of SE steel wheels and hubcaps that were priced CHEAP, and I came close to buying them, but then I was told by several people that they wouldn't clear the front brakes. If you know of any SRT owners that run the steel wheels in the winter, please let me know, as I would love that option.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No way

1. Who wants to drive a beater
2. I would rather the safety of a my two ton charger
3. I could care less about depreciation. I am never selling this car.
4. Winters aren't that harsh around here.
5. Car drives great in the snow

These things are only cars and I drive every mile out of mine.
I like the way you think. You are the one forum member that I hoped would chime in on this thread.:grin:

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I like the way you think. You are the one forum member that I hoped would chime in on this thread.:grin:
Thanks

I went the beater route a few winters.

When I bought my 95 Impala SS I also bought a 85 Mercury Grand Marquis with a 140HP 302 engine. I put all seasons on it and drove it the snow. But me being of little patience blew a gasket very time some Honda Accord blew by me and I couldn't do anything about it.

1996 I got some extra steel wheels with Blizzaks and never looked back

It is hard to walk past your baby and get into a dump

Plus as you get older you don't feel the need to drive in the real bad stuff anyway. For example, when there is freezing rain nowadays I just stay where I am. Even if you have ice tires some clown will slam into you anyway.

Chill!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.