Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Illinois you are not allowed to put any tint on the front 2 windows. I do see people all the time with all windows tinted, so you wonder if it is a law they don't bother to enforce or what? I don't want to worry every time a police car goes by, but tint really looks cool, keeps the car cool, and my 4 year old sits back there and it can be pretty bright on a sunny day.
These are the 3 choices that I am considering:
Light tint all around or
Dark in back and rear sides and light up front or
Dark in back and sides and nothing up front.

Opinions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I lived in chicago I had tint on my t-bird's front windows. I never had a problem. I have not seen a lot of cops pull people JUST for tint... they will however use it as an excuse to pull you over and search you if they feel they need to.

It's illegal to drive without insurance... but people do it ALL THE TIME...

it just depends on the mood of the cop to be honest.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wonder if it is limo black they might bother you more than if it were just a light tint? Also if the back is dark tint and the front is light, might it be less obvious?

I found this cart and it looks like Illinois is the only state that doesn't allow any tint on the front glass http://ziebart12-px.rtrk.com/pdfs/State_Tinting_Laws.pdf

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Michigan doesn't either. I've had mine for quite a while - almost 2 years I'd say, and never been bothered.

There are a LOT of thread about this, so I won't elaborate much.

One thing the law is doing, in particular the Oakland County Sherrif, is running seat belt enforcement stings, where they have an observer looking to see if you have your belt on, then radioing ahead, where you get pulled over. I've heard them state that so-and-so had tinted windows, and they could not see whether their seat belt was on. You WILL get pulled over for that.

Last summer, they were discussing a guy that they obviously wanted to nail. One officer suggested that they could cite him for the tint, an equipment violation, but he was kind of pushing towards an "obstructed view" citation, more severe and they could give him points on his license for it then. Ouch.

Some things to keep in mind: Chargers have smaller windows than most cars, so tint tends to appear darker.
A sunroof, when open, really helps light up the interior making the tint easier to see in to.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Not sure about your state but in MA not only can you get pulled over for tint (usually you don't unless it's an excuse as mentioned above or an added violation because you already got pulled over) but you can fail a safety inspection as well. They stick a meter to your window during inspections and if it registers too dark they'll fail you. Either way it would suck having to remove it. BTW, in MA we can have 35% on the fronts so with cops it's a judgement call based on how dark it looks.
If you choose to tint the front it's a risk. It's up to you if you are willing to take the risk. Punishments aren't usually to severe as long as you aren't a jerk about it. The safe route would be tinting the back windows so at least you keep some heat out and your 4 year old gets some relief. If your state doesn't check tint during inspections, it's probably worth the risk if you do a lighter tint all the way around.
-J

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don' have inspections in Illinois, well just for emissions, but not saftey.

·
Registered
143 Posts
MI allows tint on the front windows if you have a legit/valid doctors excuse.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Tinting is not a moving violation so, you will probably not get stopped for it. Most times its an secondary to the primary stop cause (failure to stop, speeding, etc). Besides, it is added paperwork for the LEO.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
MI allows tint on the front windows if you have a legit/valid doctors excuse.
I asked my optometrist for a note - there was no way he was going to issue one, unless I had a serious medical condition, which I don't. Bright light truly bothers me, but no go (with that one anyway). I haven't bothered to hit doctor after doctor to get one. But maybe if I get a ticket for it, it would be worth hitting every cheapo eyeglass store to try and get a write off.

Has anyone ever received such a doc's note?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do you think looks better:
Dark in back and light in front, or
Light front and rear?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have limo in the back which is legal and 50 % in the front which is illegal. I have gotten pulled over twice for this tint. I got a 100 dollar ticket once by a state cop who said it may look cool but its illegal. I know the area he patrols and i stay away from it or keep my windows down.

I see windows tinted all the time in michigan. i really do think theyll only harrass you if youre in a sports car or if its really dark. While i was getting a ticket i counted 3 cars passsing me that had tint.

I know theres decent LEO out there but i really think this d*ck picked me out of the bunch because of my ride.

I wont peel it for a 100 dollar ticket here and there but its up to you if its worth it.

If you ever ride dirty then you may not want the extra reason to pull you over.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you ever ride dirty then you may not want the extra reason to pull you over.
No, not really anymore. But I still don't like the feeling every time a cop goes by that he may stop me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A bit wordy response here:
I think it would be cool to have all windows tinted. Unfortunately the state doesnt allow it. I provided you the statute (law) and info on what can be tinted. There is a big chance of getting pulled over for it. Why? Because suburban towns have nothing better to do and want your money. So they will get you. Big city, might pull you over. Waste of their time but they see it as more of a "fix it" ticket. My guess. get 10% on all the back windows, 55-60% on the front door windows. Thats what I would do

Here is the legal mumbo jumbo. Damn law stuff im learning (first thing I asked when I started law....lol)

625 ILCS 5/12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

(j) A person found guilty of violating paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be guilty of a petty offense and fined no less than $50 nor more than $500, a second or subsequent violation of paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be treated as a Class C misdemeanor and fined no less than $100 nor more than $500. Any person convicted under paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be ordered to alter any nonconforming windows into compliance with this Section.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.