Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that with the 2011+ charger you have to be careful with what kind of window tinting you use as if you use the wrong kind your windows will actually become milky and cloudy over time due to the tint heating up and ruining the mylar in between the two panels of glass. So I was wondering if anyone with a 2011, 2012, or 2013 charger has had any problems with this yet? If I do get tint there is no way I am going to be cheap with it and I read that as long as you have high quality tint you should be fine.

Sorry for the long winded question...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
20% tint all around my since last june. Not one single problem. Although I paid 300 dollars for my tint job as it's 3M and it supposedly premium type of tint.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. I'm absolutely not going to be cheap with it. I'll look into the 3M high quality stuff.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yes you have to be careful with tinting these cars. From what I understand the heat can cause the window to break. IIRC the issue is with the difference in temperature between the inside and outside layers of glass.
I use security film on mine and wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cause a problem. I contacted my supplier (Concord Window Films , here's a link TINT), and they said I'd have no problem with their film. I put it on, and have had no issues so far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I tint alot of cars and ton of new chargers 300 I havent seen this we carry 3 different film manufacturers. I havent see this issue. The glass is tempered so your gonna have to really get it hot. I can answer any questions anyone my want to ask.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
345 Posts
Superbee's been tinted about a year. Spending %99 of that time outside (parked on the lot until I bought it). No issues at all with the tint, I am sure it was a 3M type high quality tint as it had been done at the dealer.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Just got my windows tinted. Here in MN we can only get 50% unless you want to risk a $165 ticket. I was suppose to get the 3m FX premium but instead the guy put on LLuma ATC 50. The only diff. from what Ive read is the 3m has 6% more heat rejection. So wondering if anyone has used the LLumar ATC stuff? I also called the installer and left a message as to how why they used ATC instead of the requested FX Premium.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Wouldn't they all say that just to sell product??
If they're not a reputable company yes. However, with them confirming that I could use it, they actually DIDN'T sell a product. I told them that I had a roll of security film that I had bought for my Ram (I buy rather large rolls). I then told them that I recently bought a Charger with laminated windows and was concerned about this reported issue. I asked if they had a different film I should use for this car, or if the roll I already have would work. They confirmed that the roll I have is fine, so no need to buy a new roll of a different type film (they offer many different films).

So you're probably right, many probably would say it just to make a sale, but I don't take this company for one of those. Hope I'm not wrong, ha ha.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ive tinted a bunch of laminated glass automotive and commercial. Automotive wise all tint will have slight hazy condition until it cures. Use a well seasoned installer who warranties their work and have no worries. Just a little advice be wary of shops who push up sales to premium options. Also the majority of heat comes thru the windshield :rolleyes: lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just got my windows tinted. Here in MN we can only get 50% unless you want to risk a $165 ticket. I was suppose to get the 3m FX premium but instead the guy put on LLuma ATC 50. The only diff. from what Ive read is the 3m has 6% more heat rejection. So wondering if anyone has used the LLumar ATC stuff? I also called the installer and left a message as to how why they used ATC instead of the requested FX Premium.
the FX is hybrid film meaning has some metal in it. AtC is a color stable dyed film thats the difference you see in heat rejection. .. the hybrid films can sometimes interfere with GPS, cell, radar, radio signals. Llumar is premium film that guarantees there film and has been in the industry for a long time.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
That FX film and ATC are both good films. Did you get a life time warranty? Did the show you the crystalline film?

Yes I saw the crystalline film. Was really expensive so I opted for the FX and got ATC. Also, I did get a lifetime warranty with this film. Did find out that 3m does not warranty the FX product for fade or purple hue. Have to get the next level up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The next level up is 3m CS in this scenario you probably faired better with the llumar. Btw our shop doesnt sell llumar. The Air 80 probably isnt what llumar calls the film I was referring to but non the less it is a light shade of film used for applications on entire windshields the benefits are glare reduction and heat rejection

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
The next level up is 3m CS in this scenario you probably faired better with the llumar. Btw our shop doesnt sell llumar. The Air 80 probably isnt what llumar calls the film I was referring to but non the less it is a light shade of film used for applications on entire windshields the benefits are glare reduction and heat rejection
That would be my next step to do the windshield sometime down the road. For now, I was looking to just add tint with some heat rejection to the rest of the glass. Appreciate your input. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just got mime done with solar something. I can't remember what the brand was but I was told it is a good brand. Hopefully won't have any issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts