Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tinted their windows on the SRT8 chargers? I know that when I had my RT I lost some reception the moment I tinted my windows. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
702 Posts
:smoke: I have limo tint all the way around (1 shade lighter on driver/passenger front). I've never experienced any issue with lost reception. If that is the case, don't sacrifice your tint; just get satellite radio.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I don't get AM reception or reception from an aftermarket Sirius antenna through the tint. I had to mount the antenna on the outside once the windows were tinted.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
If you use a tint that contains metallic properties you WILL loose your AM radio reception. FM will be fine. You can go with a tint that is ceramic based and retain your AM though ceramic tint is more expensive and a lot of places don't carry it or even know anything about it. Satellite antennas will need to be mounted outside and sometimes the same with mobile GPS units. I have a mobile GPS but I have no issues with it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get AM reception or reception from an aftermarket Sirius antenna through the tint. I had to mount the antenna on the outside once the windows were tinted.
Well I am not worried at all about AM radio stations, (I don't think I have ever listend to AM so no loss there) And how did you mount your antenna oustide? Better yet where is the attenna I thought our attenas where in the the back windsheild...:knockout:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Make sure that they connected your antenna after they tinted the window. When I had my windows tinted in my 300C they said that they disconnected it and hooked it back up. I've never even looked at it, so i don't know how it looks, but that could be it.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the FM reception was on my RT but it would be nice to see a pic so I know where or what to look for when I get my SRT8 tinted. Any help here guys, can someone post a pic or give us someone details?

·
Registered
66 Posts
posted exact question when i traded my rt for srt8. lost am onrt and fm did get weaker. got srt8 done with tint that doesnt have metallics and it works great didnt affect nav or sat or fm or am.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
posted exact question when i traded my rt for srt8. lost am onrt and fm did get weaker. got srt8 done with tint that doesnt have metallics and it works great didnt affect nav or sat or fm or am.
So it depends on wheter or not it has metallic in them? How would you know if it doesen't have metallic? Would you just have to trust your installer when he says that it does not have metallic? Would he even know if it has metallic in the tint? Does it cost more for tint that does not have metallic?:knockout:

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Well I am not worried at all about AM radio stations, (I don't think I have ever listend to AM so no loss there) And how did you mount your antenna oustide? Better yet where is the attenna I thought our attenas where in the the back windsheild...:knockout:
I have an aftermarket Sirius reciever so I had to mount the antenna. yes, the FM antenna is in the rear window. Maybe they cut when they were doing the tint? Is that possible?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I absolutely think you guys are on the right track in terms of the type of tint. I have tint that was installed at the dealership and they specifically told me that the tint was of a certain type that would not cause interference problems. I don't have any issues at all. I don't remember if they called it non-metallic type but they were fully aware of the different types of tint and which types cause problems. Any reputable tinting place should know this as well.

Something else to consider depending if your state or local municipality has tint limit laws. Missouri law is 35% on the front doors and no limit on the back doors or rear. We originally had 15% on the rear window and rear doors with 20% on the front door windows. This was pretty dark as you could not see inside the car most of the time. It looked really nice, however it did not take more than 2 months before we got a ticket for too dark of tint. The cops light meter was nearly right on. Since the tint was installed by the dealer they were kind enough to change it per my request. I ended up changing the front door tint to a lighter shade of 35% to avoid getting more tickets. I was pleasantly surprised that 35% on the front and 15% elsewhere still looks very good. There just wasn't that much change going from the 20% to 35% when the rest of the windows are at 15% (except for the fact that I would get more tickets and I can see just a bit better at night). Just something to consider if you have any concerns about the tint cops.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Metallic tint blocks more heat from entering your vehicle but it messes with your AM reception (the most) and FM (a little). Non metallic tint doesn't mess with your reception but doesn't block nearly as much heat from entering your vehicle from the sun. I personally got the metallic tint because I hate frying from the sun going through the windows and radio reception was less important to me then the reduction in heat soak. FM is still good, barely any difference from non tint but AM is a noticeable difference. Some AM stations have a constant fuzz feedback that never leaves.

You just need to decide which is more important to you, heat reduction or radio reception.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now next question is how does this affect stock Navi and Satellite?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not very good AM

I wish I knew about this before I tinted my windows last year. AM reception is horrible. But, that's what CD's are for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
non metallics do cost more , make sure you get died tint and its top of the line or it will fade to purple and if its cheap it wont block as much heat. the little diff in the heat metallic blocks isnt worth srewing up ur car. people who say they dont care or dont listen to am and it doesnt bother them are just trying to make themselfs feel better about their $150 mistake on their $40k car since there aint noway anyone is gonna get the metallic shiz off there window without fizuckin up the ant. in the glass .

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
non metallics do cost more , make sure you get died tint and its top of the line or it will fade to purple and if its cheap it wont block as much heat. the little diff in the heat metallic blocks isnt worth srewing up ur car. people who say they dont care or dont listen to am and it doesnt bother them are just trying to make themselfs feel better about their $150 mistake on their $40k car since there aint noway anyone is gonna get the metallic shiz off there window without fizuckin up the ant. in the glass .
Who listens to AM radio????:smoke:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts