Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the daytona then hear that it was limited to 125mph, that is sad for a car with so much horse. I have an Audi A4 PES supercharged that is good for about 285 hp and will do 145mph. I hope the srt8 is not limited.

·
Registered
832 Posts
**** yea it's gonna be governed cuz idoits like me!!!!it might not be 125 cuz the tac on the srt says 180 and the r/t say 160

·
Registered
114 Posts
It would be great to find a track in my local area to be able to get up to speeds that high. I won't go over 120mph on the highway; there's just too many unknowns that could be on the highway. Such as a patrolman, for example. :)

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Limiter is supposed to be 165. But the SRT-4 limiter is supposed be 148, but it's a fact that there really isnt one. More power goes faster. Maybe the same for the -8, we just wont know til someone runs one on the autobahn with GPS and a camara.

Seeing as the first military owner from Germany gets his 300C SRT-8 soon, we'll know soon. Charger might be higher, might not not, no telling.

·
Registered
832 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Limiter is supposed to be 165. But the SRT-4 limiter is supposed be 148, but it's a fact that there really isnt one. More power goes faster. Maybe the same for the -8, we just wont know til someone runs one on the autobahn with GPS and a camara.

Seeing as the first military owner from Germany gets his 300C SRT-8 soon, we'll know soon. Charger might be higher, might not not, no telling.
good cuz the fastest i've gone was 121 so the SRT8 can help me be that record :monster:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Limiter is supposed to be 165.
Anyone know if the limiter is programmed and could be changed... or are we stuck with it??

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Well, realistically, where the heck are you even hitting 165, let alone higher? But regardless, nobody has killed the limiters on the 300Cs and Magnums, so the wait conitnues.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Well, realistically, where the heck are you even hitting 165
A number of us at my office have high-performance cars and we're all thinking about renting time on the track and have a little "competition".

I would hate to see the Mercedes or Vette beat me in top speed! :angry:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
May be a little off topic, but my ultimate dream car is still the Jaguar XJ-220 (12 cyl version!)

220mph top speed! Back in it's day, nothing could beat it. They call it the "Fast Cat". Their slogan was "goes like a scalded cat!". :yes:

Would love to know what it feels like to go 200+ mph :eek:

·
Registered
832 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Well, realistically, where the heck are you even hitting 165, let alone higher?
really...?seriously... i'll find a way :monster:

·
Registered
114 Posts
You haven't been to some of the straight and deserted roads in Texas. We have stretches of road that are straight and longer than Maryland. :D There are limitless roads in which 165+ could be reached. A crossing turkey or deer would end the trip quite quickly, however.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
BlueBlurSTi said:
Didn't wana re-post, dose anyone know the top speed of the SRT8 or 300c6.1?
Here from Car & Driver:

The SRT8 is a big sedan with 56 cubic feet of front passenger space and 51 in the rear. It isn't light at 4212 pounds, but at just below 10 pounds per horsepower the SRT8 will bust through 60 mph in 4.7 seconds on its way to a 13.2-second quarter-mile at 109 mph. If the SRT8 had been included in the "Executive Adrenalators" comparison [C/D, November 2004], it would have been less expensive and offered more sheetmetal and its acceleration would have been at the top of the heap. The SRT8's ungoverned top speed of 173 mph also would have placed it on top and is especially startling when you consider the block-like drag coefficient of 0.36 and the garage-door-sized frontal area of 25.8 square feet. Better yet, the SRT8 outpaces the ungoverned CTS-V by 12 mph and all AMG products (which are governed at 155 mph) by 18 mph. Academic for sure, but if you paid more for those other cars, you'd definitely want the bragging rights.
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=9479&page_number=1

·
Registered
838 Posts
Moparfan, its too bad they never built the Jag XJ220 witha 12 cylinder engine (only the prototype had one) but the 3.5 liter twin turbocharged 6 cylinder put out more power than 12 ever did.
A Jag of that level should have been a 12 cylinder car.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Guys, I wasnt syaing that there was no place its possible, just that in reality, except for seeing where the limit is, most folks are never going to travel at those speeds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went 160mph in my srt8 and it would have kept goin up- but I slowed down. That was in 4th gear too. I think the topspeed on the charger srt8 is 170.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how was it at those speeds? my car has hit 160 on the speedo but ur always around 5-10 off at those speeds, even w/o a limiter it wouldnt be able to go much over 160 in the STi becuase of the gearing. the automatic should be able to go that claimed 170 somethin in the SRT8's.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
BLur, dont assume so unless your car has been tested against GPS. I know that a ton of folks siad that about the SRT-4 speedo, until we started rolling in GPS numbers from the stuobahn crowd.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
BlueBlurSTi said:
how was it at those speeds? my car has hit 160 on the speedo but ur always around 5-10 off at those speeds, even w/o a limiter it wouldnt be able to go much over 160 in the STi becuase of the gearing. the automatic should be able to go that claimed 170 somethin in the SRT8's.
It is no claim - it is a tested fact.

173mph top speed for the SRT8

1 - 20 of 35 Posts