Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a thought. After modifying the car using the predator. Will it shorten the life of your transmission, or engine for that matter?:alien:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i'm wondering the same thing... i mean i dont think anyone on here knows the answer because they all just got the predator too. i dont think its too bad for the drivetrain.... but it cant be good for it:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
basically anything that increases a vehicles power output will shorten the life of the engine and associated components...just puts more wear and tear on everything

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
8 motors have already detonated. guys running way to lean with heads and cams already done....be sure to get a dyno CMR done if you are running them.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
8 motors have already detonated. guys running way to lean with heads and cams already done....be sure to get a dyno CMR done if you are running them.
so is this a concern for those of us still running on stock setups?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I was told by mike from diablo that when I run my 75shot N20 I should retard the timing 4* all across the board... I have done so and made 6 passes but I didnt get a chance to datalog... I didnt hear and thing wacky going on under the hood but next time I am bringing the laptop to the track b/c this could be dangerous.. ya think?

·
Registered
285 Posts
i wouldn't worry too much about the trans. They can hold up to the small ammount oh HP gain most of us wil get from using a predator or SC or etc. Actualyl using that kidna stuff is better for the trans. Your causing a quicker shift which casues less slipapge on the fristions which causes less where on them. SO the firmer shift "to a pint" is better for the trans overall.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My engine blew on me and all I have is a Mopar intake and an exhaust. They said it was a faulty manufacturers part (Cracked head). You just never know. I'm loving my extended warranty!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
With lifetime drive-train warranty, were covered, right?
From all reports prior to the Predator's release they say that it should be virtually undetectable if you return to stock prior to taking your car in for service. However, they should be able to count things like ignition cycles or miles since the last reset and that *could* give it away if they go digging. If you're going in for really major work, I'll assume that you've returned to stock tune but haven't really had a chance to put many miles on the car, AND they're more likely to go looking. If they ask, it's also up to you to tell them if you've done anything (that's the part where it depends a lot on you and how much you want to bend the truth or outright lie about it).

If you're close to stock (CAI, exhaust, headers) you should be able to run their canned tunes pretty safely. Anything more and you really should get a custom tune built for your car.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Yes, for god's sakes were you running a canned tune? I knew people with advanced mods might run into trouble with this little bugger, but I didnt think people with just a CAI or exhaust would have problems. Stories like this really make me wanna take the tune out of my car. Its still under warranty, but I cant afford for anything like this to happen to my baby! FIll us in on some more details regarding your situation please!

-Pat

·
Registered
660 Posts
According to all of the posts I've read, the canned tunes are designed for stock or slightly (I mean CAI and exhaust ONLY) modified vehicles. This comes right from DS and the experts. I haven't seen any engines grenade following those guidelines. All of the problems have been with cammed/heads mods. Running the canned tunes with those mods will cause an overly-lean condition and BOOM.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The thing with the trans isnt that it cant take the power, but the changes in shift behavior. As I understand it, this trans makes the shifts smooth by varying line presure, it drops that pressure off during a shift, then increases it as the new gear comes on. Its called a VLP, or variable line pressure, trans for that reason.

I could be wrong, but I think what the Diablo does to tighten the shifts is either increase pressure during the shift, or just not let that dropoff happen.

So, then the question becomes, was the trans designed for the full pressure for every shift over the lifespan of the car? And the pressure drop during shifts is just a "luxury feel" kinda thing? Or was it implemented to increase transmission life?

I certainly dont know.

Oh, and you guys thinking that if you blow a motor, you can just retrun the programming to stock, and have us pay for your motor, thats bull.

Its fraud, plain and simple.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Simple answer.........pay to play! If you mod you go fast and yes you could lose your warranty. CAI and headers cool, chips and cam or heads not cool on the warranty, but much faster! What do you want? A warranty or a faster car? Myself I want faster and believe in the quality of the build so I will mod, if you are concerned with the quality of your car don't mod

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I highly doubt changing the shift firmness with these trannies will hurt it. If anything, I'd be worried of the added stress put on the half shafts and rear end.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I highly doubt changing the shift firmness with these trannies will hurt it. If anything, I'd be worried of the added stress put on the half shafts and rear end.
Only time will tell. We'll see in the next few years.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
yeah but you still need to adjust the fan settings even on the preset tunes because the diablo "from what i know" runs based on a 180 thermostat and if you still have the stock one in... your fans will be running all the time which can't be good:knockout:

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
and i know right in the owners manual it states about not switching out the thermostat unless replacement is necessary but only install the correct type... :smoke:

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
If you change the 'harshness' of the shift, which is detectable by a grabbing sensation (firmer shifting, as you guys put it) you WILL shorten the life of the gearbox and pretty much everything else in the drivetrain. 'Impact' loading - which is what is essentially happening when the shifts firm results in a MUCH bigger release of enegy than the subtle take-up as designed into the original system control.

End of the day - you gain something - you loose something - nothing's free. You get more power - or harder shifts, then the whole drivetrain suffers - from torque converter to CV joints. The weakest in the chain will be the first to fail.

And as for illegally obtaining warraty work by covering the abuse of a car - that stinks and sure as anything helps the demise of the American Automotive industry. I would not expact ANY true muscle car/Dodge (or any other manufacturer) fan to behave in this way.

Why don't you help the companies go bust and then you can come here and whine about it....... :smoke:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts