Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever been so annoyed by the drone of dual exhaust--while driving to work--or anywhere for that matter--while in the freezing cold--and still trying to collect yourself from lack of sleep? Yeah that happens to me sometimes. I'm adding shorty headers. Who out there can describe to me what the sound levels are going to be like inside of my vehicle. Is it manageable for road trips, commuting to work daily--dates with the wife etc??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi ,

i got full JBA Exhaust (shorty headers, mid-pipes with hi-flow cats and cat-back exhaust) and i love the sound! big difference from stock. the charger have a muscle car idle now. as for the drone it is not annoying at all and really manageable on the highway (i often do a 4-5 hours trip on the highway and it is barely noticable) as for the others people (girl, friends ect..) they never said anything about the exhaust been annoying. if you only do the headers it wont change the sound level that much (barely noticable) as for the bbk headers i can't tell you about their quality but the JBA headers are really good just make sure that when you do the swap you buy a new set of the oem mopar headers gaskets they are the best

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Grant, you're going to have a to give us a little context here.

When my R/T was stock, there was almost no audible cabin noise at all. You could barely here the engine at any time except wide-open-throttle.

Once I added a Borla 125 catback, things got significantly louder. Yes, there was drone but it's personal and I never found it overwhelming.

Finally I added some JBA short headers, which is where I'm at now. That smoothed out the tone quite a bit, though it didn't get a lot quieter. Just less farty when using MDS.

So where I'm confused is that you're complaining about drone already. Knowing what you've got done to your car so far might help us give you an idea of the degree of change you can expect with various mods.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
If you want it to sound like a prius, you're going in the wrong direction.

Done properly, it will sound like old school muscle... done wrong, and it can drive you nuts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grant, you're going to have a to give us a little context here.

When my R/T was stock, there was almost no audible cabin noise at all. You could barely here the engine at any time except wide-open-throttle.

Once I added a Borla 125 catback, things got significantly louder. Yes, there was drone but it's personal and I never found it overwhelming.

Finally I added some JBA short headers, which is where I'm at now. That smoothed out the tone quite a bit, though it didn't get a lot quieter. Just less farty when using MDS.

So where I'm confused is that you're complaining about drone already. Knowing what you've got done to your car so far might help us give you an idea of the degree of change you can expect with various mods.

Pardon my phrasing. I enjoy the sound of my exhaust while engaging in racing/showing off/ accelerating/ wide open throttle etc. I also enjoy knowing that the sound produced by my exhaust (on the outside) is intimidating to the ricer sitting next to me at the red light.

You had a valid point about MDS. I didnt consider that when typing. It is actually the MDS drone that annoys me. Sounds like a Semi truck dropping into low gear or something.

From what you have said I can expect a decrease in the "farty" sound. That is good news.

Maybe I am just divided. I want my car to sound intimidating from the outside but also wouldnt mind it if there were no more increase in noise as I complete my exhaust.

My performance mods are fairly simple at this point. Flowmaster catback exhaust-K&N CAI-180 tstat-Diablo Tuned.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
I took off the center suitcase muffler and deleted the Cats. Left the resonator in place... it's an awesome non droning sound, but I also turned off MDS with Predator

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took off the center suitcase muffler and deleted the Cats. Left the resonator in place... it's an awesome non droning sound, but I also turned off MDS with Predator
Intetesting. I will have to do some research on this. Although I won't be turning MDS off with my tuner. Gotta get a the extra miles I can!!

Something else that has crossed my mind. Most of you guys have headers that are of a different brand headers from catback exhaust. How do you all personally feel about that? Especially if you plan on new mid pipes and cats. Will you use a different brand and have all different branded aftermarket exhaust system? Will all the pipes bolt up properly? Just a thought because I was considering these bbk headers when I am running a flowmaster catback.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I bought a second car, it's the best all around. I get better fuel mileage, it's whisper quite, no mileage on my 2nd car and it's a 4 door.

Then I have my mustang that sounds like a fiar breather draggon and spits fire balls on decel....

Honestly, look into a second car, it's awesome.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is the "drone" really that bad?

I had a 2dr Civic Hatch with a full 3in exhaust and coffee can on the rear. Now THAT is what is easily considered drone. With the Charger, I just don't understand the complaints about "drone".

I've had 3 exhaust setups so far

- Stock
- Suitcase removed and straight-piped
- Cherry Bomb Vortex (cat-back)

Never experienced any mind-numbing exhaust sounds. Shut up and enjoy the sound of that HEMI!!! lol :driving: :rocker:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Which Flowmaster catback do you have, American Thunder or Force II? I have the Force II and I don't think the MDS is that bad at all, at least compared to when I had the Blastin Bobs on mine. If you have the American Thunder then there's your problem, no resonators. You could always have some welded on but then it'll quiet the exhaust up somewhat, too. Some sort of drone is always going to be there with the MDS. I've even read from some with the Corsa exhaust that's supposed to get rid of drone all together that it's still there, although it's a lot better than other exhausts.

As far as brand of shorties, don't get the Flowmasters just because you have a Flowmaster exhaust. I don't know of anyone running those on either Charger forum I'm on, probably because they're super over priced. It seems JBA is the most liked brand for shorties and it'll pair up just fine with the Flowmaster exhaust. That's the route I'm going with mine sometime this or next year. JBA shorties, JBA hi-flow mids and my Force II exhaust. That's just my opinion though since I don't have them yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts