Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased my 2016 Dodge Charger SXT, and I absolutely love it! A friend of mine and one of his friends from work have a Mustang and a Camero, respectively, and we are planning to go out and do some drag racing/picture taking at an airstrip that my friend works at. I was wondering if there would be any problem with doing this. I don't intend on burning out or anything like that, just slamming on the gas and driving in a straight line. I am aware that that will put more wear on the engine, but I think if I do it just this once I should be fine. Also, is revving the engine in neutral a bad idea? If so, is there any good way to rev it? So, I guess my main question is, will stomping on the gas and driving it in a straight line as well as revving the engine just a little bit void the warranty?

(sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm rather new to this stuff)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
That's just an acceleration test and they have no way of knowing you were at a track or trying to merge on a highway.

Just don't wreck cause then it's an insurance issue and insurance companies won't cover race track wrecks.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I recently purchased my 2016 Dodge Charger SXT, and I absolutely love it! A friend of mine and one of his friends from work have a Mustang and a Camero, respectively, and we are planning to go out and do some drag racing/picture taking at an airstrip that my friend works at. I was wondering if there would be any problem with doing this. I don't intend on burning out or anything like that, just slamming on the gas and driving in a straight line. I am aware that that will put more wear on the engine, but I think if I do it just this once I should be fine. Also, is revving the engine in neutral a bad idea? If so, is there any good way to rev it? So, I guess my main question is, will stomping on the gas and driving it in a straight line as well as revving the engine just a little bit void the warranty?

(sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm rather new to this stuff)
To add to Mango's post, don't just stomp on it from a dead stop.

Every driveline has a little bit of slack in it. When you stomp on the gas from a dead stop it can eventually create slop (looseness) in the driveline. This usually isn't a big deal at lower horsepower levels but something you need to be aware of.

To mitigate this and get a better launch. You'll want to hold the car on the torque converter which can be done by putting your left foot on the brake. Raise the engine RPMs to about 1200 and then let go of the brake and mash the gas. Be mindful that you only want to hold it on the converter for a few seconds before you launch. Holding it for a prolonged period of time really heats up the transmission fluid.

Keep in mind that the stall speed of the converter directly correlates to how many RPM you can apply while stopped before the tires start to break loose and the car tries to move. I'm recommending 1200 since it's easy on the converter but you may be able to go higher (being more firm on the brake pedal will also buy you more RPM to launch with - to a point). Once you exceed the stall speed, you'll feel the tires start turning.

The other option is to roll race from a slow speed, which is easiest on the driveline.

On the topic of revving: The jury's out on this one. Some people claim it causes issues to rev with no load and others say it's not a problem. You're limited in how high you can rev the car anyway if it's not in drive.

I'm not sure if Dodge added that since they're trying to preserve the engine internals or if it's an EPA thing to avoid wasting lots of excess gas an pissing the neighbors off.

I personally don't rev the engine, but I do crack the throttle when stopped from time to time (just a quick smack to 2500 RPM) because I like the way it makes the whole car torque to the right. It's just my inner child.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
You won't hurt anything mashing it from a dead stop. The car is designed to do it. You have more power than traction anyway, so you won't over-stress the drivetrain.

Don't sit in park or neutral and rev the engine past 2000 rpm. It's bad for the engine to do that when it's not under load and there is no purpose to do it...and Chrysler built in a neutral rev limiter to keep you from doing damage in case you decide to try to do it anyway.

Have fun on the closed track...but don't hurt yourself or anyone else. ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh....And do not rev in neutral and then slam it in drive!!

period!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And this method of getting it to 1200 rpm before launch shouldn't affect anything even though I have AWD right?

·
Registered
938 Posts
And this method of getting it to 1200 rpm before launch shouldn't affect anything even though I have AWD right?
Nope. You'll get off the line quicker than just mashing the gas.

As Dave and others have said, keep it safe and keep it on a closed track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts