Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I’m new to the forum. Owned a ‘68 charger from 1988 to 2003. Now my son just bought a 2012 charger SXT AWD. Following in dads footsteps I guess. Living in London Ontario Canada we are in a snow belt off of Lake Huron and we are searching for winter tires. The AWD gets the 19 inch rims With 235/55 R19 tires. This tire size is harder to get winter tires on and a set of OEM 19 rims are costly and also more rare. 18 inch rims off of a RWD charger are easier and cheaper for both finding used and buying winter tires. So my questions are

1. Are there any 18 inch rims out there that will fit on a 2012 awd charger and fit in the wheel wells like the 19s do now? If so what is the required offset?

2. Will 18 inch rwd rims fit but stick out more?

3. Will all 18 inch rims fail and interfere with the calipers and or suspension?

4 are the police steel 18 inch rims a possible awd fit?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Some AWD owners run RWD wheels, even though the difference in offset is pretty large. If you stay with stock size tires and rim width, you might be able to get away with them, since they'd only stick out about an inch more than the AWD wheels. So far as I am aware, AWD LDs never came with 18 inch wheels. So it's hard to say that they'll definitely clear.

OTOH, earlier AWD LXs did, and the specs were almost identical. You can see for yourself here.

If it were me, I might try finding a clean set of early Charger/300/Magnum AWD 18" wheels and trying them out for fit. But there's no reason you couldn't try aftermarket 18" wheels, as long as the specs are the same.

Why not look for a used set of 18" RWD wheels on Craigslist, and ask if you can try them on the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some AWD owners run RWD wheels, even though the difference in offset is pretty large. If you stay with stock size tires and rim width, you might be able to get away with them, since they'd only stick out about an inch more than the AWD wheels. So far as I am aware, AWD LDs never came with 18 inch wheels. So it's hard to say that they'll definitely clear.

OTOH, earlier AWD LXs did, and the specs were almost identical. You can see for yourself here.

If it were me, I might try finding a clean set of early Charger/300/Magnum AWD 18" wheels and trying them out for fit. But there's no reason you couldn't try aftermarket 18" wheels, as long as the specs are the same.

Why not look for a used set of 18" RWD wheels on Craigslist, and ask if you can try them on the car?
Thanks so much for the info. All good tips. And yes...the ultimate test whatever the numbers are to do what you suggested and I’ve done several times in the past...go to the seller and pop a wheel off and see if it fits in real life!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
There's a guy on other board with AWD Challenger running stock SXT 18's with 235 tires and although they are further out than stock, he says no issues.

The 2021 AWD cars will have a 20-inch wheel option.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
AWD pursuit have 18" wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. That’s good to know on 18 inch rwd rims fitting but sticking out. Definitely a plentiful option on used parts sites and wrecking yards.
Are awd pursuit cars same as the police option with awd? Are they steel? steel is good for the winter.

I messed up on my so called knowledge of rim offsets. In my mind I wanted the positive offset number being higher like 55mm to mean extra brake clearance for maybe the longer axles and the Hubs being more outward. And the 24mm for rwd being bad because of brake interference On the awd. got it backwards and the 24mm actually sticks out more Clear of the brakes etc but coming out beyond the fenders a bit.

Its kind of a blur now but I think a local wrecking yard had 18 inch mopar rims with a 44mm offset. might be worth a trial and error on them and see how they fit.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
They have Mopar 18" steelies for use on the AWD Pursuit. You are right steel rims are good for the winter. They handle the potholes better. I can't run steelies on my Scat Pack because they won't fit over the Brembos. I had to switch to the Sport Edition KV5 and they have worked fine.

GTO_04

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I have a great find. A set of awd pursuit rims from a 2016 awd charger pursuit. The rims have the bigger holes in them and the owner says 49mm offset. No Center hub caps but that’s ok with me. I think I can just use the same wheel nuts from my current 19 inch oem alloy rims. So before making the 2 hour drive to check them out has anyone used such rims on a 2012 era awd charger? Any issues? Thanks for any info. I think I’m close to finding winter rims!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want OEM you'll have to deal with offset issues and make sure you won't lose range of motion. i.e. rubbing inside the wheelwell. but other than the offset being different they would work. ASSUMING that the bolt pattern is the same on your 2012 as the wheels you intend to buy. i believe the bolt pattern on a 2012 is 5x114.3mm

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you want OEM you'll have to deal with offset issues and make sure you won't lose range of motion. i.e. rubbing inside the wheelwell. but other than the offset being different they would work. ASSUMING that the bolt pattern is the same on your 2012 as the wheels you intend to buy. i believe the bolt pattern on a 2012 is 5x114.3mm
Every LX and LC car built has had 5x115 bolt pattern.

OP you should be ok with those newer AWD steel wheels from the 2016. I was hoping Hubcap Haven would have the offset but they don't list it, usually the 19x.7.5 AWD wheels are 55 mm offset. Here is the one I think you're getting: AWD 2014-2020 wheels

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes indeed i think those are the Steel wheels I am aiming at as in your link. My current 19 inch alloys are 55mm as you said. Offsets are listed more on alloy rims I’ve found over steelies. I don’t expect that dodge changed the width of their awd axle setup much between 2012 and 2016.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops forgot to ask...this is a set of 5 rims, I guess the cops don’t like donut Spares. is there room to put a full size spare in the bottom of the trunk or would I need a separate hanger or,something under the car?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Oops forgot to ask...this is a set of 5 rims, I guess the cops don’t like donut Spares. is there room to put a full size spare in the bottom of the trunk or would I need a separate hanger or,something under the car?
Someone will chime in here but an 18 inch full size doesn't fit down in the well, police cars with a full size spare came with mounts that look like this:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the picture. The donut is good enough for me! Just as an aside I believe that’s a rwd rim...no holes just the spokes. More of those available than awd ones I’ve found for steelies.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thanks for the picture. The donut is good enough for me! Just as an aside I believe that’s a rwd rim...no holes just the spokes. More of those available than awd ones I’ve found for steelies.
Yeah I wasn't trying to find a show with an AWD rim! That is the old RWD style police steelie, they do have a holes one too and the AWD has holes too as you know.

It gets really pricey if you try to buy the OEM open end lug nuts and the dog dish caps for center. They aren't cheap!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the rims fit well and I buy them this weekend it’ll be fun getting 5 in there but when theres a will there’s a way! My current lug nuts will work on the steel rims without Center caps as is right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello. Made the trip sunday for the rims! Test fit great on the front and rear. Lug nuts worked fine. So i can confirm now that 2012 awd chargers can use awd police 18 inch steelies with the bigger holes From a 2016.

now to soon test how the tpms sensors work when the tires are installed. They should be plug and play after driving for a while and kick right in...hopefully. Not a,huge thing if they don’t.

does anyone know,if the spare tire will have a Tpms sensor in it?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
does anyone know,if the spare tire will have a Tpms sensor in it?
Donut spare? No it won't, think it also needs more air than usual too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not a donut but a full size spare with a full size 18:inch steel rim that came with police models. The valve stem looks the same on the spare as the other 4 wheels but does that mean anything or is the sensor separate? I’m interested mainly because I’d like to trade the almost new spare all season tire on this rim to a used tire shop for a decent winter tire to improve the tread of one worn winter tire on the set. Then I can just have the shop put their tire on the spare rim over having to do multiple tire removals and installs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts