Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's this going to cost me? The car is dirty but the damage should really stand out. She scraped it over a curb... I'm not sure if I should have a body shop work on it or order a new front fascia.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, expect body shop can do it for under a grand, much less than a facia. But then of course, i am no expert on this. Anyone else?

More to the point, what's it going to cost your wife?:wink:

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
That needs to be replaced, not repaired. You might want to get the insurance company involved because it will definitely be more than $1k....

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
Are those scrapes just under the bottom? Does there appear to be any structural damage inside/behind it? If it's actually just scrapes under the bottom, I'd have a body shop sand and paint it. You'd only see it if you're under the car, correct?

Best of Luck with it!

·
Registered
676 Posts
A front bumper/fascia is expensive. Over $1000 wouldn't surprise me. Insurance might be a better route, but if they are going to jack up your rate then I would just pay for it. Would probably be cheaper over the long run to just pay it rather then lining the pockets of your insurance company for the next few years or so. Thieving bastards, lol.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
If she went over a normal size curb, then yes, there prolly is some fascia structural damage. I know there are threads around here somewhere testifying to the effects and costs of just this particular kind of damage.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She was parking it and didn't realize the curb at the grocery store was at an angle. This is a pic showing that it seems to have broken one of the clips. The second pic is from the front passenger's wheel looking up. :fuming:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Yep - structual damage. Time to replace the entire from fascia/bumper.
Take heart - at least your wheels weren't stolen or anything like that. Now THAT'S a real kick in the crotch!!!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
you know what I did a similar deal to my baby....i was SICK...I went over a curb but what did the damage was the rebar that wasn't cut flush with the cement curb it stuck up about an inch and when i pulled back it did a number on the clips and pulled all but two out....my hubby relocated where some of the clips where attached and screwed in the fascia for me...because of the yellow it didnt look as bad as yours and I did not rip the corner part....

needless to say I either back into stalls now or if i have to go in nose first I do it carefully...

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Body shops can fix fascias with much worse damage than that. I wouldn't bother replacing the whole thing... it WILL look good as new with a proper repair job.

I got nailed in my Acura Integra pretty hard in mid 1997 by the back end of a car that was hit by someone blowing a red light (the 1st victim's rear end swung around and nailed my front fender and fascia). I was 100% sure that it needed complete replacement, it was that mangled... and I was just as meticulous with that car as I was with my GTA. The repair was impeccable and they even reproduced the textured paint strips that were used on those fascias back then in certain areas.

Judging by the pics, it's a $200-$400 job tops, unless there's some inherent reason why an SRT8 bumper cover can't be repaired. I don't even think they need to touch any visible surface, to be honest!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
What's this going to cost me? The car is dirty but the damage should really stand out. She scraped it over a curb... I'm not sure if I should have a body shop work on it or order a new front fascia.
MY GIRL DID THE SAME OHHH MAN I WAS:fuming: ........WERE YOU??

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
From My Last Post....what I Mean As The "same" She Scraped My Front Bumper Ect... And Put A Few Deep Scratches But Not The Corner Damage.....ouch

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Rhino liner is that truck bed stuff huh??

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
yea it is i just googled it......i suppose that will work on a black car.....?

·
Registered
359 Posts
dude don't replace it . its not even that bad and it's only noticeable from underneath. i would get it fixed for less than $300 . get it sanded and resprayed and it should take car of it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I know a new facia from the factory is $1400 and it is only primered. You still have to think about getting it sprayed (to factory specs) and then getting it installed. A fairly costly project. I know how you feel, i cringe everytime I scrape that damn thing, sometimes not even knowing what lies ahead. It could happen to anyone. Don't be mad at your lady. Chalk it up as a learning lesson. You should also just think about letting it ride if it is only visible from below. just my two cents. good luck.

Also, I had an S-10 that was lowered and i had the underbody sprayed with rhino lining, a very wise investment. It is very durable and virtually scratch resisitant, again somewhat costly but a 1 time expense only unless you have the unfortunate accident of needing to replace the entire bumpre of course. This is something that I am planning on doing again in the near future also because i plan on lowering my vehicle a little. Anyways like I said good luck, and think about the possitive things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bet most of us have scrapes on the bottom of the front spoiler. I know I do, but you need to be laying on the ground to see them. I wouldn't do a repair for only scrapes. If the spoiler is now loose because she damaged one of the mounting points then I would replace it completely. If the deductible is less than $1,000 you should go through your insurance. My solution is simple, my wife doesn't drive my car!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Mine was $2,200 for a new front fascia. It wasn't the wife though, just a rather rather large raccoon on a very cold night.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I would not worry about it, honestly.. Maybe zip-tie it in place if it is flapping in the wind, and maybe toss some touch-up paint on it, but I seriously would not pay $500 or more to get it resolved.

Why you ask?

1. It is only noticable from underneath (who's looking anyways) and you can touch-up paint those areas which are noticable from a normal standing/sitting position.

2. It's bound to happen again.. :) :(

Frankly, I pull too far over those stupid cement blocks at least once a week.. I'm notorious for it.

But instead of putting it in R and ripping up my front fascia, I put it in N, get out, reach down and pull up on the fascia, at the same time pushing the vehicle back enough to get it free. This method causes no scratches, although don't push it back too far or it might roll off -- without you in it (so don't try this on a steep hill!!).

Sure it's humiliating, but the humiliation alone is enough to make me think next time before I pull over a cement block again.. :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts