Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I just go a 2019 scatpack “ had it for 2 months now” and I went to drift but it won’t drift to the right, if I turn the wheel left and floor it it’ll spin and drift no problem but if I turn right it won’t spin or even break the back left tire loose. I had a feeling it what the dif so I tried to drift to the right again but just keep my foot down and I went back to see and sure enough only one strip on the road. Any ideas?! Also my tire wear has been uneven for the longest time. The back right tire “ the one that left the strip” is near bald but the back left is good as new. Do these difs not lock?!?!

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,634 Posts
As posted in the other forum, you have smoked the clutches and possibly cracked the springs. They are not made for that kind of duty. At lower power levels if traction control is on it will apply a brake to keep both spinning but yours is toast.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,634 Posts
I cannot get any info if the 2015+ diffs have a different clutch setup but here is the trouble with 2014 and below Getrags. Only 3 frictions.
The Z06 clutches with 7 frictions and stouter springs swap right in and cure this. Odds are in a 2014 and below if they have 40k miles they are toast and traction control is being a surrogate.

The quickest way to toast the OE 2014 and below were to warm the tires in a track water box and one side hook allowing the spinning side to continue. The hooked side smokes the frictions.

I wish we could find an exploded view of the ZF internals.

Pink Rectangle Font Material property Magenta

Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Automotive wheel system Auto part

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cannot get any info if the 2015+ diffs have a different clutch setup but here is the trouble with 2014 and below Getrags. Only 3 frictions.
The Z06 clutches with 7 frictions and stouter springs swap right in and cure this. Odds are in a 2014 and below if they have 40k miles they are toast and traction control is being a surrogate.

The quickest way to toast the OE 2014 and below were to warm the tires in a track water box and one side hook allowing the spinning side to continue. The hooked side smokes the frictions.

I wish we could find an exploded view of the ZF internals.

View attachment 303246

View attachment 303247
So what should I do? Have dodge rebuild it because I still have a warranty on it or should I put in a stronger one? I really wanna drift it and all that

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,634 Posts
I would clean up all trace of drifting and take it in telling them you are getting one wheel spin outs and hold your breath.
They will look the car over to see if its been pushed beyond its application limits.

If you are near Anaheim CA contact Unitrax. they are one of if not the best diff shops in the US.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m in Newcastle Delaware, so you saying dodge might not cover or fix my diff even if it’s under warranty? And if I do get it fixed could I go drift and it’ll be fine or will it just break again? Because I’d love to get a bullet proof diff so I can have fun in this car!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
If they think you are abusing your car not only won't they fix it, they might want to flag your whole warranty. And Dodge usually backs dealers up on stuff like this so you need to be careful how you explain to the dealer how your car will only spin one tire, that's gonna raise a few eyebrows I would think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I’m in Newcastle Delaware, so you saying dodge might not cover or fix my diff even if it’s under warranty? And if I do get it fixed could I go drift and it’ll be fine or will it just break again? Because I’d love to get a bullet proof diff so I can have fun in this car!
If you keep drifting with a stock (even newly rebuilt) you will smoke it again and be right where you are now sooner than later.

The "bullet proof" rear diff will hit you for 10 grand, plus install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you keep drifting with a stock (even newly rebuilt) you will smoke it again and be right where you are now sooner than later.

The "bullet proof" rear diff will hit you for 10 grand, plus install.
I thought These cars like to do donuts and drift I wanna have a differential that I can drift and do burnouts and donuts without worrying about it Ripping itself apart

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I thought These cars like to do donuts and drift I wanna have a differential that I can drift and do burnouts and donuts without worrying about it Ripping itself apart
No car (stock) is built to take the abuse drifting puts on it, period. They're not made or sold for that purpose.

Get a GForce 9" conversion with a spool and have at it. Have fun daily driving it though, or keeping tires on it.

Again, $10k+ and you can have all that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
also I thought that’s what these cars were built for?!?! To do burnouts and donuts/drift. And dodges whole company encourages you to do that stuff so why would they not fix my if they think I abuse it and flag my warranty, they know the people who buy theses cars beat on them because that’s what they are made for and how dodge carry’s it’s company?!?!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No car (stock) is built to take the abuse drifting puts on it, period. They're not made or sold for that purpose.

Get a GForce 9" conversion with a spool and have at it. Have fun daily driving it though, or keeping tires on it.

Again, $10k+ and you can have all that.
Wdym have fun daily driving it, or keeping tires on it?

·
Registered
2013 R/T
2,634 Posts
He means its not a limited slip. Call Unitrax in Anaheim CA and talk to him about it. Great shop. You will know your options after speaking with him. If applicable a Z06 Clutch pack or a Wavetrac replacement chunk. They do ship if you are not local.

I thought that’s what these cars were built for?!?!
You are starting to sound really technically and common sense challenged or are trolling this forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He means its not a limited slip. Call Unitrax in Anaheim CA and talk to him about it. Great shop. You will know your options after speaking with him. If applicable a Z06 Clutch pack or a Wavetrac replacement chunk. They do ship if you are not local.

You are starting to sound really technically and common sense challenged or are trolling this forum.
No I’m not trying to troll or anything I’m just genuinely upset and confused because I have to put 10k into it just to do what I thought they were built for, sorry if I’m a bother I’m just trying to figure out what to do with it. I’d like to drift it and not worry about messing up my car but I don’t have 10k for a aftermarket 9” differential. And even if I do buy it then the extended warranty I got for the car is pointless and I just lost 4k

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
"Drifting" is something done in MOVIES where they have five or six cars to swap through when they blow one up...Drifting is not practical in real life, especially with a big heavy passenger car..

·
Registered
349 Posts
I do sort of understand his indignation. Dodge’s commercials feature these cars drifting, burning out, doing 180s, and all other sorts of manic maneuvers all the time. Granted, the ones featured doing these things are usually SRT products (Hellcats, REs, and Supers), but they do make it seem like such things shouldn’t bother the driveline too much.

Still, any mainstream manufacturer is going to be looking at signs of abuse before approving a major repair. A new diff isn’t the most major thing you could ask them to replace, but as someone else said, don’t be surprised if your writer or warranty administrator (usually the service manager) finds your account of what’s happening to be a little suspect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do sort of understand his indignation. Dodge’s commercials feature these cars drifting, burning out, doing 180s, and all other sorts of manic maneuvers all the time. Granted, the ones featured doing these things are usually SRT products (Hellcats, REs, and Supers), but they do make it seem like such things shouldn’t bother the driveline too much.

Still, any mainstream manufacturer is going to be looking at signs of abuse before approving a major repair. A new diff isn’t the most major thing you could ask them to replace, but as someone else said, don’t be surprised if your writer or warranty administrator (usually the service manager) finds your account of what’s happening to be a little suspect.
Thank you! Doesn’t seem right but is what it is, I have a appointment Monday to see if it’s covered but I don’t wanna worry about it breaking again once I get it fixed :(

·
Registered
115 Posts

Those commercials also say in fine print, "Profesional Driver, Closed Course, DO NOT Attempt to duplicate actions portrayed herein".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts