Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a 2014 dodge charger RT road & track in November. I don't know why I'm just now checking the tire information on the door but my tires should be inflated to 32. The whole time I've had the car the tire pressures have been at 45 or 46. Now I understand why I felt every single pebble on the road. Anyone know why the hell the tires came from the dealership so over inflated ? And has anyone else experienced the same thing ?

· Super Moderator
16,418 Posts
Because they were inflated to proper pressure in November when it was cold and now it's warmer and air expands as temperature increases, which increases the pressure.

· Registered
1,072 Posts
They come from the factory overinflated with the expectation that they will be sitting for a long period of time on a dealer lot and they don't want flat spots on the tires.

It should be part of the delivery process to fix that, but alas...

Reactions: GTO_04

· Registered
7,376 Posts
Did you check them manually or with the EVIC ?

I check mine manually and set them to 32 psi. I've checked them with three different gauges that all read 32 psi, but my EVIC always shows 39 psi.

On the next tire rotation I'm going to use Ddaddy's idea of dropping them all down to 20 psi to get the TPMS to go nuts, then fill them back up to 32. Hopefully this will reset the system to read somewhere close to actual.

· Registered
926 Posts
Get yourself a good quality tire gauge (the company I work for sells them) and don't rely on the EVIC. It's not 100% accurate like a gauge is. And all the other comments are correct and possible.

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Victor-s/20.htm

· Registered
27 Posts
Probably also to help when they are transported and tied down during delivery, don't want a soft tire I would think. The factory tire air pressure guys are the same guys who tighten the oil filters, more is better right.

· Registered
99 Posts
I like it

According to the EVIC, all the tires on my '14 RT are around 40 psi, and I like it there. The EVIC also thinks it is "OK".The ride is nice and firm. I'm going to check with a gauge tonight to see what the difference is, but I'm in no real hurry to change it.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
My guess is that the person (probably a high school student) that prepped the car off the truck at the dealership looked at the side of the tire for PSI and not the label on the door. I've never heard of it coming from the factory with anything other than the correct amount.

· Registered
926 Posts
Regardless of what the factory or dealership puts in, it's a super easy thing to check and adjust with a tire gauge and tire inflator. After experimenting with higher PSIs over the years I've come to the conclusion that the PSI listed on the door jam is the best one to follow. It's the optimum balance between comfort, MPG and tire wear.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I mistakenly assumed that my new car would have had the tires inflated properly. The sensors said they were set to 49! Already driven the car 900 miles in the two weeks I've had it, so I let some air out this morning. Getting a newer digital tire pressure gauge, my old one drives me nuts when I use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.