Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing I want to get is my new hood. A ram air hood. I found and have been told about two places in particular.

The first model looks like this and comes from Mopar - http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_...rger-SRT8-Style-Ram-Air-Hood-P13795C3223.aspx

The model comes from a company called ram air hoods. It looks like this - https://www.ramairhood.com/store/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=57

Is there something different and significant about the way either looks, or the material used to build them?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
i think ramairhood is a supporting vendor on here so ask them. Anything with a mopar logo on it has an automatic 500 dollar mark up

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
could be materials? Or maybe just the magic MOPAR sticker on the hood?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
First off...

Look closely those hood are not identical. They look similar from the front but if you look at the rear of the hood you begin to see where they are different.

The Mopar hood is the hood you find on SRT8's. It is light and stamped out of aluminum. It is very strong and designed to play nicely with all the crumple zones in the front of the vehicle.

The Ramair hood is a fiberglass composite hood. Fiberglass (depending on how well it is made) will curl or wave very slighty with heat. Some people find this to be unacceptable. Also, I believe in comparison these hoods are heavier than OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

In the end it comes down to you, the look you want, and how much you want to pay.

That said you will end up having a better fitting, stronger hood with the Mopar OEM hood as it is a production part and has much more engineering and man hours than the Ramair hood has (or any aftermarket hood for that matter). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you won't be happy with the Ramair. Lotsa people have them and are happy with them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
First off...

Look closely those hood are not identical. They look similar from the front but if you look at the rear of the hood you begin to see where they are different.

The Mopar hood is the hood you find on SRT8's. It is light and stamped out of aluminum. It is very strong and designed to play nicely with all the crumple zones in the front of the vehicle.

The Ramair hood is a fiberglass composite hood. Fiberglass (depending on how well it is made) will curl or wave very slighty with heat. Some people find this to be unacceptable. Also, I believe in comparison these hoods are heavier than OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

In the end it comes down to you, the look you want, and how much you want to pay.

That said you will end up having a better fitting, stronger hood with the Mopar OEM hood as it is a production part and has much more engineering and man hours than the Ramair hood has (or any aftermarket hood for that matter). Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you won't be happy with the Ramair. Lotsa people have them and are happy with them.
x2 these hoods r nothing alike!!!!any1 wit eyes could see tht.......get the ramair1....its meaner:grin:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
X3 to that. The RamAirHood has a much more aggressive look than the mopar one. At a recent meet and greet, there was a fellow member there with the Ram hood. Personally, I like the SRT OEM hood better, as it is more subtle.

·
Suspended User
2,400 Posts
X3 to that. The RamAirHood has a much more aggressive look than the mopar one. At a recent meet and greet, there was a fellow member there with the Ram hood. Personally, I like the SRT OEM hood better, as it is more subtle.
yea the RAMAIR is nice but i liked the SRT hood so i did it right and got an OEM one!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts