Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a recent Top Auto Exec reply recently when asked what is the main reason people buy cars. His answer was simple.

'Styling.'

You heard me.

Styling.

Granted gas mileage, horsepower, adaptability, and price, all valid, important and necessary components in the calculus that makes up a new car's design.

But lest we take our eye off the ball, this Exec was right.

Styling rules. Very few people will buy an ugly car even if it got 50 miles to the gallon, cost a lowly $10k, and had 500HP. Why? Because very quickly, as you drive down the road in your modern day Edsel with people laughing and chucking as you drove by, you'd be humbled into realizing car buying and the approval one gets at aquiring a new ride, is an emotional and visceral experience. Why this is, I have no idea.

So here is my plea, stripped of badging, to DCX:

Please don't give us an ugly Charger. Different is OK, ala 300C, Dodge Magunum. Just don't make it ugly.

If you hear me, I promise I'll buy a black or molten red one next Spring.

Scout's honor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Styling does matter, but capturing the kind of styling that is in public demand can be a precarious task. The Edsel failed because Ford really had no concept of research and development in the late 50s. It was a car that was built on the past and not the future.

DCX seems to have gone with a "love it or hate it" design mantra. It worked for the 300, we'll have to see if it will work for the Charger. Building a charger that looks like a glorified Intrepid may have completely flopped the way the Edsel did. The current GTO suffers from the same problem. It offers a bland design that seems like an attempt to please all. It has ended up getting a tepid response.

Finally, the Charger is being built as a mass market sedan. Maybe, just maybe, they'll build a low volume coupe. Since the LX series have been selling well, I would expect the Charger to take some design cues from the LX series.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts