Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever noticed that there is a difference (sometimes as much as 20 degrees) between the standard EVIC engine temp display, and the extended EVIC display (where the 0-60 timer lives)? Anyone know why? I haven't observed any differences between the Oil Pressure readings between the two different modes.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
i've noticed a delay in the gauge matching the digital readout, but it always gets there..

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Becuase the normal reading is buffered, to avoid customers freaking out or what are actually normal variations in temp.

Same with the external temp reading.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Becuase the normal reading is buffered, to avoid customers freaking out or what are actually normal variations in temp.

Same with the external temp reading.
Hmmm...I would have thought that the "extended" EVIC would be the reading that wasn't buffered. Because I typically notice the "normal" EVIC reading being higher than my extended EVIC reading.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
The temp in the standard EVIC display is oil temp. The "engine temp" in the extended EVIC display is coolant temp.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The temp in the standard EVIC display is oil temp. The "engine temp" in the extended EVIC display is coolant temp.
Ya know...I was wondering if that was the case. The only reason I didn't think it was is because the graphic in the "non-extended" EVIC display shows a "thermometer" icon, which is the same icon that is on the analog temp display. But after looking closer, you can see that the thermometer is "dipped" in the oil pan.

All that said, does it make sense that the oil temp would normally be lower than the coolant temp? I wouldn't have thought so, but I am convinced that your answer is correct. The non-extended EVIC clearly is indicating the oil temp.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I thought my oil temps were always a bit higher than my coolant temps. Will check later today, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ya know...I was wondering if that was the case. The only reason I didn't think it was is because the graphic in the "non-extended" EVIC display shows a "thermometer" icon, which is the same icon that is on the analog temp display. But after looking closer, you can see that the thermometer is "dipped" in the oil pan.

All that said, does it make sense that the oil temp would normally be lower than the coolant temp? I wouldn't have thought so, but I am convinced that your answer is correct. The non-extended EVIC clearly is indicating the oil temp.
That is correct

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is correct
Dude...you've got 392rwhp with the 5.7? Wow...I can understand how you got a 12 sec 1/4! Awesome!

Is the majority of that coming from your head and cam mod? Once mine is out of warranty, that was my plan...to do a cam and head mod. I was setting my target at +350rwhp...and was gonna be happy with a 13 sec 1/4.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Dude...you've got 392rwhp with the 5.7? Wow...I can understand how you got a 12 sec 1/4! Awesome!

Is the majority of that coming from your head and cam mod? Once mine is out of warranty, that was my plan...to do a cam and head mod. I was setting my target at +350rwhp...and was gonna be happy with a 13 sec 1/4.
I was 315 rwhp with CAI, Headers and Hi Flo Cats and exhaust before the heads and cam and a B&G tune

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
The oil temp isn't always lower than the coolant temp, but it does change much more slowly. Also, remember that the cooling fans are triggered by coolant temp and you have a thermostat that will try to warm the coolant quickly, then keep it at about 201*F.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
What I have noticed is the water heats up way faster than the oil but when the oil catches up it takes longer to cool down than the water.
After I put on the police pacage oil cooler they stay more that same since the water cools the oil and actually heats it up also when it is cold

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I have noticed is the water heats up way faster than the oil but when the oil catches up it takes longer to cool down than the water.
After I put on the police pacage oil cooler they stay more that same since the water cools the oil and actually heats it up also when it is cold
I checked my car out on a 40 mile trip this afternoon, and once everything was warmed up, the oil was hanging around 10 degrees warmer than the engine temp. I haven't received my 180 degree tstat yet, but it is due this week with my predator. Right now, my engine has been hanging around 201 - 205 under normal driving conditions. It will be interesting to see if my oil temp also runs 20 degrees cooler once I install my tstat...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I checked my car out on a 40 mile trip this afternoon, and once everything was warmed up, the oil was hanging around 10 degrees warmer than the engine temp. I haven't received my 180 degree tstat yet, but it is due this week with my predator. Right now, my engine has been hanging around 201 - 205 under normal driving conditions. It will be interesting to see if my oil temp also runs 20 degrees cooler once I install my tstat...
Once the thermostat opens up at 180 it will keep it around that temp for a little while but once the coolant gets hot it will go right up to 200+ unless your fans are on and to keep it at 180 unless you are running on the freeway the fans will be on constantly.
My fans are set 10 degrees below stock and unless I am at the track I really don't worry about the temp is doing

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How did you change the setting on your fans? I believe the Predator has a function for changing that setting, so unless there is another way, I'll have to wait for my Predator to arrive to change it.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
How did you change the setting on your fans? I believe the Predator has a function for changing that setting, so unless there is another way, I'll have to wait for my Predator to arrive to change it.
You can't change the fans without mods. After I put the predator 93 tune w/cai, the fans are coming on about 195-200 whereas before it was 217 or so. PS, predator is KKKOOOLLL!!!!!!!!:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts