Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read alot of posts about CAI"s and some say they work, some don't. I'm looking at K&N air charger. On their website, they claim that the Typhoon systen adds 12.8 hp at 4800 rpm and the Aircharger systen adds 21.09 hp at 5216 rpm. They even show dyno results. Who do you believe? What do you believe? Eventually I will be doing other mods ( cat back, maybe headers) but all this stuff is driving me crazy:knockout: I have a bone stock 07 charger r/t Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
Over at the LX Foums they did a lot of testing with different cai's on the same car. I find it hard to believe that ANY cai would deliver 21hps alone. Maybe 10hp....with forced air....down hill. Do a search over at LX Forums, then make a decision.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the K&N aircharger sys. and it does give a small increase in power. It is no where near 21 hp but they may have done thousands of dyno runs before they got 1 that shows 21 hp gain. I like the sound of the CAI and the added hp is incidental.

·
Registered
794 Posts
When I donated my car to Diablo for beta testing on the Predator, they said that cars with the AFE Stage 2 seemed to do a little better than others as far as HP.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
when they say 21 hp, they fool you by converting that to "estimated crank horsepower"

which means... the dyno shows rwhp. divide that number by .825 (for our cars) and you get crank horsepower.

340(our cars rated HP) multiplied by .825 = 280(the general rwhp of our car stock when dyno'd)
thusly
280/.825=340
.825 becomes the constant for all rwhp numbers to convert to crank and vice versa.
this is the same as 17.5% loss of hp to the drivetrain

now. that is all subjective as to what number they believe to be the calculated percentage loss of hp thru our drivetrain. and what dyno they test it on.

secondly a lot of people ive dyno'ing CAI's a lot of trouble, because the whole idea behind a cai is that you have to have the car moving forward in order for it to actually show its true numbers.

a car standing still on a dyno, even with a giant fan blowing at it still wont give "true" results.

goto www.lxforums.com and find the section in the forum called MFO(Mods Face Off). they have a bunch of different mods, with extensive research, as was previously mentioned in this thread, on CAI's. and comparisons between them all. with dyno charts. all done on the same car and same dyno.

to give you quick overview.
the Airhammer(custom fabbed by a member on the lxforums) netted the most hp, but isnt a "brand name" and may not filter the best.
the AFE stage 2 netted the second most HP. and is a trusted brand.

i advise reading those. and forming your own opinion as everyone elses will vary. the short of it, to me, is that it filters better, and lets your car breath better, and adds a little extra throttle response, helps to make gains from other modifications more noticeable.

and if nothing else, if none of this is really true. atleast you know it will make your exhaust note sound quite a bit better :D

best of luck and...... *get an afe stage 2:whistle:*** *hides*
:rockon:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
when they say 21 hp, they fool you by converting that to "estimated crank horsepower"

which means... the dyno shows rwhp. divide that number by .825 (for our cars) and you get crank horsepower.

340(our cars rated HP) multiplied by .825 = 280(the general rwhp of our car stock when dyno'd)
thusly
280/.825=340
.825 becomes the constant for all rwhp numbers to convert to crank and vice versa.

now. that is all subjective as to what number they believe to be the calculated percentage loss of hp thru our drivetrain. and what dyno they test it on.

secondly a lot of people ive dyno'ing CAI's a lot of trouble, because the whole idea behind a cai is that you have to have the car moving forward in order for it to actually show its true numbers.

a car standing still on a dyno, even with a giant fan blowing at it still wont give "true" results.

goto www.lxforums.com and find the section in the forum called MFO(Mods Face Off). they have a bunch of different mods, with extensive research, as was previously mentioned in this thread, on CAI's. and comparisons between them all. with dyno charts. all done on the same car and same dyno.

the Airhammer(custom fabbed by a member on the lxforums) netted the most hp, but isnt a "brand name" and may not filter the best.

i advise reading those. and forming your own opinion as everyone elses will vary. the short of it, to me, is that it filters better, and lets your car breath better, and adds a little extra throttle response, helps to make gains from other modifications more noticeable.

and if nothing else, if none of this is really true. atleast you know it will make your exhaust note sound quite a bit better :D

dude. u win.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts

thusly
280/.825=340

Leave it to an engineer to explain it:) !

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
:) i do what i can.

but some people dont appreciate the talents of an engineer! i dont blame em. most of us are pretty crazy. but ive always said how boring would i be if i wasnt crazy? :rockon:

·
Registered
928 Posts
hahahh same =)

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I've read alot of posts about CAI"s and some say they work, some don't. I'm looking at K&N air charger. On their website, they claim that the Typhoon systen adds 12.8 hp at 4800 rpm and the Aircharger systen adds 21.09 hp at 5216 rpm. They even show dyno results. Who do you believe? What do you believe? Eventually I will be doing other mods ( cat back, maybe headers) but all this stuff is driving me crazy:knockout: I have a bone stock 07 charger r/t Thanks
Don't believe any HP claims you see on the net. Besides, the HP doesn't even matters. If you want to see if your car has improved, take it to the track before and after and you will see real numbers. Dyno's arn't exact anyways, they very from dyno to dyno and pull to pull.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts