Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me for not understand this. Why is it that many exhaust systems for Chargers are connected by Clamps? Is it because it's not in sections like a bolt on? Or do people really clamp them on, or do they weld them? I could think a clamp would have some sort of a leak, in both air and sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Using clamps is pretty common for all vehicles. Some installers even tack weld along with clamps. Clamping is much quicker, and safer for the installer and if the install didn't fit and needed adjustment, loosen the clamps. Redoing a weld has its problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
so is asking for tack weld is a nice compromise for everyone?

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Tack welded and clamped my Zoomers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welds rust and ultimately fail......T304 stainless doesn't. Explains why there are clamps instead of welding on high end systems. Even if the clamps wear out, you just swap them out and your T304 stainless system is still good to go whereas welding it causes it to fail once the welds rust out.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Great question. I never knew a car so widely clamped, then I realized, we don't stop fussing, changing, etc... I let them weld my tips on after I took the resonators out...I was screwed. Now, when the zoomers arrive in a few days, i'll clamp and tack.

·
Registered
424 Posts
cheaper production... most domestic exhaust manufacturers use the slip in piping with clamps...

Personally, i think those kits are like connector sets / rattle boxes / exhaust leak hell...

They take a bit of tweaking to get set properly so they dont leak / rattle etc...

the difference depends on the manufacturer and the vehicle they were made for... some are perfect, some are not, its hit and miss...

i prefer exhausts with flanges, but then you have to deal with gaskets... and most aftermarket come with the paper type gaskets that are not reuseable...

When ever I get a new exhaust with flanges, I find metal gaskets before I install the kit...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts