Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's so special about this particular color?

·
Registered
549 Posts
gweempose said:
What's so special about this particular color?
Yeah I was curious about that one too. I noticed that it was the only color that cost extra for some strange reason and never thought of asking until you mentioned it again which makes me interested to hear the real answer. Not that I am going to be getting any cars in red since I am more of a fan of Liquid Black or Deep Cranberry (highly doubt Chargers will be offered in that color though).

Later

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
extra cost is probably due to the clear coat...

while all the other colors use the same plain clear coat, the inferno red uses a red tinted clear coat to give it more depth...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DAYTONA_R/T said:
extra cost is probably due to the clear coat...

while all the other colors use the same plain clear coat, the inferno red uses a red tinted clear coat to give it more depth...
Does this make it more difficult to maintain?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
nope, but it might make it more expensive and harder to repair, as not only will a body shop need to match the color of the paint, but match the tint of the clear

·
Registered
353 Posts
They Had The Same Color Back In 84 On The Daytona And Called It Red Garnett Pearl Coat And It Was Extra Cost. I Think They Just Changed The Name , Not Sure Tho, They Look Alike.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've always figured the extra price was because that was figured to be the most popular choice. Same as when yellow became the new hot color for sports cars a few years back most manufactuers charged more for it. It probably does have something to do with extra costs of the paint, but I'll just stick to my corporate greed explanation :)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
NeedHP said:
It probably does have something to do with extra costs of the paint, but I'll just stick to my corporate greed explanation :)
99% of the time, that would probably be correct... LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stop making fun of the Inferno red, I love mine and it was worth the extra 225. Leave us alone.

LOL. I asked thedealer and there only answer was that its more expensive type of paint.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
badkolo said:
Stop making fun of the Inferno red, I love mine and it was worth the extra 225. Leave us alone.

LOL. I asked thedealer and there only answer was that its more expensive type of paint.
I think the red is awesome. I'm still undecided about whether I'm getting a black or a red one.

Help! :(

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, ya know, this is just the kind of technical question I might be able to get a real answer for. I seem to remember one of my contacts seemed to know a whole lot about paint.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At first I thought I was going to go with silver, but once I saw the red in person, I knew I had to have it. The black is really nice as well, but I'm way too lazy to keep it looking like it should.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, according to my source, it's just because the supplier is charging DCX a premium price for the paint, the SRT-4s Orange Blast paint was the same way.

Oh, and he was pretty sure that DCX's paint shop is not equipped to shoot two different clear coats. So thie tinted clear coat is out.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Yep, according to my source, it's just because the supplier is charging DCX a premium price for the paint, the SRT-4s Orange Blast paint was the same way.

Oh, and he was pretty sure that DCX's paint shop is not equipped to shoot two different clear coats. So thie tinted clear coat is out.

maybe maybe not... here is one thread I saw about the tinted clear... I think the other one I saw over on brampton forum... but can't find it now

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=8395&highlight=tinted+clear

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, is the tinted clear the difference between the show cars awesome finish, and the kinda plain red we're getting? Seems from that they they tried shooting two and it didn't work.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
At Carlisle they had an SRT-8 with some kind of amazing red paintjob. It looked like the same color as the factory cars, but it had this shine and depth that went miles beyond. I thought maybe it was just a factory paint job that had been wet sanded and heavily polished, but maybe it had color clear coat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
epoch said:
I think the red is awesome. I'm still undecided about whether I'm getting a black or a red one.

Help! :(
I Love my inferno red and actually passed on the black one. I am tinting the windows soon and the smoked headlamp covers will really make the paint stand out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I stopped by the dealer's today to show my wife the charger. All the inferno red cars on the lot - even the Pacifica - charge an extra $225 for the color.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
And don't get me wrong, my car will most likely be red, but only becuase SRTs only come in three flavors. So my choices are limited. Slver Steel or the deep blue would be my choice, if the SRT had it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts