Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious. When i heard how much Stock srt rims were worth new, i was surprised.. cause they cost more than alot of aftermarket custom rims do. i was told, its cause everything from the dealer is alot more money. and since after market rim makers basically only make Rims, they can allow them to sell for a cheaper price. just something i was curious on.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
It is because they are high quality forged rims. Those aftermarket rims you are comparing them to are most likely much weaker and heavier cast rims. Most aftermarket rims are complete crap and I wouldn't run them on my car! Of course I also track my car.

Go price good quality forged rims by a company like Fikse. Good rims cost a ton of money. A set of rims from Fikse would run around $8K.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
I ran Volk rims on my RSX. Real forged rims imported from Japen, 5K a set. So yeah, forged rims are more expensive than just regular rims. That said I use "crappy" rims because saving a few pounds on rims isnt a big deal when your car weighs the same as a baby whale.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to spend 8 grand on rims, is outrageous. most people i have seen on this forum, usually get american racing or foose rims from what i have seen. they are good qualitiy, look good, and u won't go broke. to spend thousands of bucks on rims, cause they may weigh 5lbs less, or be slightly stronger. Will it make any difference whatsoever. i sincerely doubt it. american racing rims for example are one solid piece of alluminum. thats pretty f'in strong to me.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
You'll be alright with "cheap" rims in most applications. You aren't looking to shave a tenth of a second for big prize money.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
5lbs per rims is huge. Thats rotating mass! This isn't the same as just removing 5lbs from the trunk of the car.

I have seen people with basic aftermarket rims crack their rims completely on a road course. I highly doubt that the SCCA would allow a car with Foose 22" rims run any of their track events, but I could be wrong. I suppose it depends on the tech inspector.

For the street something like those are perfectly fine. But if you regularly push your car to the limit on the track it isn't.

If I were making my car into a dedicated track car I would definitely buy a set of Fikse 18 or 19" rims. They would be incredibly strong light and fit some fat R-compound tires. I wish I could afford a set, but I can't. And if you look at the rims Fikse makes they aren't especially fasionable either. They are made for performance, not really the "bling" factor.

This is why the stock rims are such a great value. They offer the best performance rim for the Charger short of spending a ton of cash.

Now if you are into style over performance then they typical aftermarket rim is a great value.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
well, the rims i have are not cast rims, they are one piece alluminum.
Most likely they are cast.

Casting and forging refer to how the metal achieves it's shape.

Casting involves melting the metal and pouring the molten aluminum into a mould (or die) to achieve the shape.

Forging involves using pressure and dies to achieve the desired shape.

The casting process has been used forever to make wheels, so cast aluminum wheels are fine.

The main reason the SRT wheels are more expensive is because dealers charge more for the parts, and also because they don't make them. So there are a couple of levels of profit built into the price: The Manufacturer makes their profit, Chrysler makes theirs, and the dealer makes theres. You've got at least 3 levels of profit margins built in, whereas if you buy wheels elsewhere maybe on 2.

-=FLEX=-

Reactions: GTO_04

·
Premium Member
335 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
They are nice but I've heard a couple instances of quality issues with finishes. The vast majority are okay though.

Incidentally if I went for a race rim it would be forgeline. Their stuff is lightweight, forged and awesome looking.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The replicas are heavier and not as strong. But once again if you are just using them on the street they might be a good value for you.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Srt rims w/o rubber are like 1200 right? Yes it's a nice forged rim but I got my foose nitrous for 1995$ with hankook v12 rubber. It's my daily driver and I like alot of after market rims more than tge srt's I actually don't even like the new srt rims

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
One of the reasons they are also prohibitively expensive is they don't want people without SRTs buying them and sporting the SRT logo/hardware, much like the SRT hood, front and rear fascia's.

Also OEM wheels go through a much much more rigorous testing and refinement process than aftermarket wheels. I've never heard of a daily driven OEM wheel splitting along the drum like I have heard about aftermarket wheels. When sold individually OEM's try to make up some of that development cost.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Well my rims don't like you either nightmare. Haha.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Well my rims don't like you either nightmare. Haha.
Lol I saw that coming as soon as I typed it:). To be clear I don't think they are ugly I just like the first gen rims more, but love my foose :driving:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Forging is extremely expensive, so wheel prices can be twice (or more) the price of a cast wheel.

Cast is poured, forged is usually done cold in which the metal is "formed" into the desired shape. Much much stronger than a cast wheel.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Casting or Forged... both are much stronger than the OEM stamped-steel wheels that came stock on my SE, right? Of course, the OEM hubcaps must add some structural integrity too...

:slap:

Hard to believe most (if not all) of the original American-made muscle-cars in the 60's and 70's came with steel wheels. Engineering has come a long way, huh?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
How are the chrome clad 20's when it comes to quality and weight (besides the plastic coating)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts