Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, the car's supposedly already in production, right? And it's scheduled to come out in roughly six months or so, right? So wouldn't it behoove Dodge to drum up some publicity (like F*rd did with the Mustang)?

What am I missing here? - Maestro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maestro said:
I mean, the car's supposedly already in production, right? And it's scheduled to come out in roughly six months or so, right? So wouldn't it behoove Dodge to drum up some publicity (like F*rd did with the Mustang)?

What am I missing here? - Maestro
It's not in production.

It'll hit dealers in May or thereabouts.

It will be unveiled in January at NAIAS.

You're missing quite a bit.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There also seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not the sedan being occasionally built at BAP is actually going to be called Charger. Hopefuly, there's a two door worthy of the Charger name.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MoparMan said:
There also seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not the sedan being occasionally built at BAP is actually going to be called Charger. Hopefuly, there's a two door worthy of the Charger name.
I'm more and more inclined to think that there is...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>"It's not in production."

You know that definitively? Oh, wait. I guess not, since you later backpedal in response to MoparMan's post:

MM: There also seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not the sedan being occasionally built at BAP is actually going to be called Charger. Hopefuly, there's a two door worthy of the Charger name.

GJ: I'm more and more inclined to think that there is...

In other words, it's supposedly already in production (although the sedan in question could, in fact, turn out to be something else), just like I said originally.

>"It'll hit dealers in May or thereabouts."

And, since it's currently September, that would be 8 months or thereabouts. Compared to my original post in which I said, "in roughly six months or so", our approximations vary by two months, not what I'd consider "quite a bit".

>"It will be unveiled in January at NAIAS."

I've heard that, as well. But, again, what does Dodge gain by keeping the Charger under wraps until just a few months prior to the car's release to dealers? Again, I cite the Mustang concept which debuted at NAIAS in 2003, and the production model which debuted a year later, both well in advance of the car's release to dealers--Job 1 was last week, and the official launch is scheduled for later this month.

So why all the secrecy still? Couldn't Dodge benefit from some pre-release publicity, too?

>"You're missing quite a bit."

Am I?

Maestro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maestro said:
>"It's not in production."

You know that definitively? Oh, wait. I guess not, since you later backpedal in response to MoparMan's post:

MM: There also seems to be some disagreement as to whether or not the sedan being occasionally built at BAP is actually going to be called Charger. Hopefuly, there's a two door worthy of the Charger name.

GJ: I'm more and more inclined to think that there is...

In other words, it's supposedly already in production (although the sedan in question could, in fact, turn out to be something else), just like I said originally.

>"It'll hit dealers in May or thereabouts."

And, since it's currently September, that would be 8 months or thereabouts. Compared to my original post in which I said, "in roughly six months or so", our approximations vary by two months, not what I'd consider "quite a bit".

>"It will be unveiled in January at NAIAS."

I've heard that, as well. But, again, what does Dodge gain by keeping the Charger under wraps until just a few months prior to the car's release to dealers? Again, I cite the Mustang concept which debuted at NAIAS in 2003, and the production model which debuted a year later, both well in advance of the car's release to dealers--Job 1 was last week, and the official launch is scheduled for later this month.

So why all the secrecy still? Couldn't Dodge benefit from some pre-release publicity, too?

>"You're missing quite a bit."

Am I?

Maestro
Yes. You are. Go over to Allpar and read the Charger thread in the News & Rumors section. You are missing a lot.

Among other things, you're missing a basic understanding of the car business. A few cars down the line isn't equal to "already in production".

Pay attention to this, as it will lead you to the answers you seek: Chrysler has a comprehensive plan for the introduction of roughly sixteen models over the next two years, of which Charger is one. The plan, and information about those models, is very secret. Some bits and pieces of it have leaked. Allpar is a clearing house for the leaks. Your speculations are off base and you are wasting the time of the knowledgable people on this board until you have done your homework.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ps: There are insiders who post here from time to time. By "insiders" I mean people who work for DCX and have chosen to drop hints about upcoming products. Pay attention when they post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only platform that shrouded in secrecy right now is the Charger.

Disinformation is a plus to keep ahead of the competition.

With this program, just be patient.

Information is coming shortly before the showing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
PVOMan - even though we've known a Charger is coming at some point DCX has done an awesome job keeping the looks of the car (even down to the number of doors) a secret. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that DCX was responsible for many of the "leaks" on AllPar as well as the Popular Hot Rodding images and the C&D image. It's been very hard to consistently separate the disinformation from the information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you're missing a basic understanding of the car business. A few cars down the line isn't equal to "already in production".
Fair enough. Could someone please point me to a webpage that lists the major stages of development? (I tried Google, but didn't find anything promising. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms. I've also been following the thread at AllPar, but I don't recall a list being posted there. Granted, I could've missed it somewhere in the 200+ pages of posts. If I did, would someone be kind enough to narrow it down to a specific page? Thanks.)

Or, if it'd be easier, feel free to modify the following:

Sketch ==> Clay Model ==> Mock Up ==> Concept ==> Mules ==> Limited Test Production Run(?) ==> Production.

Disinformation is a plus to keep ahead of the competition.
Thanks for that answer. Any chance you're free to elaborate on why keeping ahead of the competition outweighs publicity this late in the game?

Maestro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maestro said:
Thanks for that answer. Any chance you're free to elaborate on why keeping ahead of the competition outweighs publicity this late in the game?

Maestro
Because it's not late in the game -- the car's not going to be on dealer lots until May. The publicity will happen in a big coordinated blitz around the NAIAS. Part of the goal will be to suck media oxygen from competitors' introductions. It's a sensible strategy if you're confident that you have a really HOT product to intro.

(I'm not an insider, but I used to be a PR guy.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Also, don't forget that it's not just about the exterior design of the vehicle. There are plenty of economics to be considered (how expensive is it to build, is there a market, bottom line: will we make money, etc), as well as engineering issues, crash testing, smog tank, etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Another surprise is coming soon before Christmas. Think extended LX this time.

Plans are drawn up until 2008 to conclude the LX platform.

Another old icon making a return that put fear into every Chevy/Ford
owner in the late 60s.

SEMA? - Bring forth a truck and give it force induction. - Raw muscle coupe to be shown? Look under the hood. Heavy four door luxor cruiser to shown in production trim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only thing I can think of that put fear into the hearts of Phord and Chebby in the late 60's was the Roadrunner. But on an extended LX platform? I think that unlikely. Daytona Charger? I'll try to think of another icon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
67dartgt360 said:
the only thing I can think of that put fear into the hearts of Phord and Chebby in the late 60's was the Roadrunner. But on an extended LX platform? I think that unlikely. Daytona Charger? I'll try to think of another icon.
I think the extended platform LX and the "fear in the hearts" car are two separate machines. The extended platform may be a luxury car.

As for the muscle car... what's close to a Road Runner? Like, real close. As close as Coronet is to Satellite, for instance.

What Scat Pack trademark was recently re-registered?

Bzzzzzzz.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Given that information, we're talking about either a Challenger or a Super Bee. GTX is not Scat Pack since it's Plymouth. Challenger is already rumored to replace the Stratus. A Charger Super Bee would be sweet.

·
Registered
94 Posts
67dartgt360 said:
Given that information, we're talking about either a Challenger or a Super Bee. GTX is not Scat Pack since it's Plymouth. Challenger is already rumored to replace the Stratus. A Charger Super Bee would be sweet.
DCX recently re-registered the "Super Bee" trademark. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the hints, PVO!

Since this thread got bumped, I have another question similar to my original one:

Can too much (and/or too good) disinformation be a bad thing? I mean, there currently seems to be at least two competing schools of thought re: the Charger. So, come January (or maybe sooner), one of these ("insider") groups is going to be proven wrong. Might the members of this group harbor some ill will at being misled? Or will everyone just chalk it up to being part of the game/business?

Just wondering - Maestro

1 - 20 of 37 Posts