Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Charger Octane Red R/T Daytona
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Serious question for you Pursuit owners.

What drew you to that particular vehicle?

No hidden agenda here. Just want to know what is the allure of a Pursuit vehicle?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't own a Pursuit but I get the appeal. I don't want to pretend I'm an LEO but it is a great price point. Yes the cars are beat on but they're usually high miles and only a few years old vs. high mileage and really old plus they at least had the oil changed... usually.

Now the guys that put a Setina bar back on the front and have wig wags and all that I think that's a little much... posing as LEO is a no-no in my book. Like add on lights and big whip antennas are a bit much... you can have a steel wheeled Charger that looks sharp and has a spot light but isn't a full on police clone.

Reactions: Badge180 and N8ECH

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's easy. It's the only way (or was anyway) to get a new or near new Charger with a Hemi and AWD. Never even considered a RWD or V6 version. I can also say in all honesty, if Mopar still made civilian AWD Hemi Chargers today, I wouldn't have given a Pursuit a second look on the lot. The ride is pretty harsh and it's missing features you'd get in a REAL car. Leather, sunroof, GPS, Sirius, sound system, garage door opener, center console, all not there in a Pursuit. But, life is sometimes a compromise. That's why I have a one.

Greg

·
Registered
2019 Chrysler 300S
27 Posts
I’ve heard of people owning, and have owned one, ex police car. It’s the allure for some it has more powerful engine, heavy duty equipment, etc.

I, however, will never buy another used police car. Straight from the Texas city that owned it the trans blew 15k miles later and the timing chains and guides were shot straight off the truck, and according to the seller it was their “cleanest car”. I’ve seen how our local PD treats them...no thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Well, My Pursuit was Cheap. $9K and had all the hardware in Performance I wanted for the budget I had. And currently is still the newest car I have ever owned. (2011) This was a huge step up from my first car which I still have, which would be the good ol 93 Eagle Vision ESi.

I purchased it with the spotlight and bullbar still on it. Oddly enough the spotlight is downright useful and has come in handy many times in various scenarios. Including annoying the hell out of the passenger.

Yes, I do have an antenna. One of my hobbies is radios/commucations and what not and having grown up with mom as a truck driver having a scanner and a CB was always a thing. My eagle had both, but I've swapped the scanner only over to the Charger. Currently it gets used more for Aviation purposes (I work at airport) than anything else. I would like to move the CB over and make the CB antenna a small window mount whip that is less noticeable. If I could find antennas that were low profile with decent performance I would. Most I have seen are the NMO mounts and those look more police-legit-ey than my mag base scanner type.

And I am willing to admit, The wigwags are still functional, although last owner had it on a easy to flip switch I replaced it with the heaviest safety switch I could find so that turning them on will always be a willful act and not accidental. I have used them during Drag racing (local track, street crap is stupid cause having a christmas tree is waaaaaay better), Autocrossing, and few times behind friends where there is strictly no other cars within eyesight of my car.

This all being said, I for one do not care for all the "whackers" and crazy amount of people who insist on installing all these lights, strobes, and even fake looking radios and laptop mounts with no actual purpose. My car when I bought it originally had Blue LED strobes in foglights and they were removed promptly.

I will also add, driving a Pursuit is a double edge sword. I find it (of course) more relaxed way of driving as most folks behave when they see me. However, I know that because some think I am LEO that any actions I do reflect on them and I pay extra attention to not make that a negative reflection. When on highway if I am in the left lane, or any lane will not ride anyone's ass to make them move over. I do not drive in a LEO manner (atleast I think) If some one zooms past me I do not speed up and get behind them.

To further step away from look of a cop car however, over time I am trying to make a Resident Evil "Corporate" level Umbrella Corporation Car. I've added few logos and tasteful badges and amazing amount of people have caught it and kinda got excited by it. I want to get the door graphics done but hard to find a set I like as I am picky. And I want to customize it to reflect a local place kinda.

Also over time, I've added the R/t 8.4 screen, with nav and SRT pages. Working on Bluetooth currently.

Reactions: M1DNIGHT.392

·
Registered
115 Posts
I bought a used 93 Ford P-71 back in 2003 for $250 at an auction.. That was cheap, and it lasted quite a while I was well aware of the culture of used cop cars. Mine was police for 3 years then transferred to the building inspector and was painted all white they took off the spotlight and left the hole. ick, and left lots of holes and mystery wires inside.

The Pursuits are way too expensive for a used police vehicle IMHO as well as most other like Explorer Police interceptor etc...

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me it was 2 reasons- getting awd Hemi and price. Some of the extras like the different sway bars are nice too but at the same time I consider that a wash because you can add that stuff to a normal one and I'm having to track down things that normal ones have like the console and navigation etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was an Atlantic City cabbie in the '90s, so I like hurtling large sedans with V8 engines around traffic circles. I drive like an ex-cabbie: pardon me, I'm in a bit of a hurry,
I put about 65K miles on a great used P71 - solid white, no spotlight or push bar, just a plain retired county patrol car.
I wanted a new, faster car... but my wife said I would lose my license in a Mustang or Camaro. She was right.

So, I opened a Chrysler Fleet account for my small business, and ordered a 2012 Pursuit. (Hemi, of course). It's the perfect car for me.
It's firm, decisive, and quite rapid. It handles like a two-ton Vette.
I don't mind at all the lack of amenities. I ordered the car with every available luxury (Bluetooth, six-way power seats with lumbar, adjustable pedals, carpeting). I can listen to the music on my phone just fine, and someday I'll update the dash and deck speakers for a few hundred bucks.
I've driven this car on multi-day drives of up to a thousand miles per day, and enjoyed every mile.
The best thing is that nobody has every f***ed with the car. Nothing has been installed or removed after it left the factory. No butchery. All repairs and maintenance have been done by the dealership that sold it to me.

I love the car so much, I just ordered a 2021 Pursuit. I just had to have the 8-speed and the 12.1" touchscreen. This one will be Indigo Blue, and I'm going to name him Elwood (of course).
I promise lots of pics, and an "unboxing" video...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts